User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Penrith or Wollongong Cable watersking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Penrith or Wollongong Cable watersking

Has anyone been cable water skiing in either Wollongong or Penrith? My friends are considering it and given that I dont have enough balance to actively participate I thought shooting it might be fun. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what kind of reach I'd need.

I have a D800 and was thinking of putting my 70-200 with a 1.7TC on it as I dont have a 300 2.8 yet.

Would that be enough?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess thats a no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst I've never done cable water skiing, I've done lots behind a boat.

From a photographers point of view a cable pull has to be better as everyone will (more or less) always be in the same plane so you'll get lots of chances to et the "right" shot.

I'd experiment with wide open, stopped right down and somewhere in the middle. Depending on how much rope the skier can use you should get some nice water spray results with background blurred out and, if you lucky some nice ski tips bobbing over a wake.

Have fun and take lots of shots.

Hath
    J

Sent using Forum Runner

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I agree with all of that in regards to experimenting with the DOF, Im just wondering if I'll have enough reach to get tight shots. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Im really looking forward to it. My friends prob wont be all that interesting although Im hoping to get them taking a tumle or two :-) There should be others there that are getting some air which hopefully will make interesting shots. Once its done I'll be sure to come back and update this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been to the one at Penrith but not Wollongong. The advantage with the cable is that it is surrounded by dry land and you know exactly where they will be. With the ability to walk around the lake (not a short walk mind you) you can move yourself into the best positions without needing that extra reach you may otherwise need.

You also have the advantage of the D800 which means that you can crop without losing significant resolution compared to the native resolution of other cameras.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images