Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Which 24-70?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which 24-70?

Hi all,

Just ordered a new 6D and looking at some new glass.

I think a 24-70 will suit my needs of low light portraits so for the same money I can get ether a canon 24-70 2.8 I second hand or a new tamron 24-70 2.8 with IS.

so just looking for some pros or cons of both?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same choice. I used both lenses. I chose the Canon EF70 to 200F/2.8L USM over the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD, for the following reasons, which were quite relevant to my choice.

These are not listed in any order, except the first, which was very relevant to my choice:

• Canon Lens Hood’s system for this particular Zoom Lens, is far more effective and this is also the main reason I bought the EF70 to 200F/2.8L USM and NOT the MKII version of this lens as the Lens Hood System was not used, for that MkII version.
    • Much smoother Zoom Turret
    • The Zoom Turret acting in the same direction as other Canon Zooms
    • The Focus Turret acting in the same direction as other Canon Lenses
    • Even number of aperture blades (Canon 8 / Tamon 9)
    • Filter diameter size 77mm (and not 82mm on the Tamron)

However, whilst these were MY main reasons for choosing the Canon Lens over the Tamron, those reasons might not be relevant to you.

As a general comment, I suggest you consider the value or not of VC (Vibration Control) for your use of this lens.
    This would be my major consideration, if I were choosing this lens for my ONE general purpose Standard Zoom Lens.

HOWEVER - you mention specifically “Low Light Portraiture”:

If this is your main reason for buying the lens, then in consideration of the necessity to use a Shutter Speed to adequately address any Subject Movement, you might want to consider the EF24 to 105F/4 IS USM as your Low Light “Portrait” Zoom Lens for use a 6D.

Considering the high ISO capacity of the EOS 6D; one stop of Aperture Speed, might not be as significant as having the Image Stabilization available for hand holding.

Also the 24 to 105 F/4L IS USM, will allow more reach (into the ‘typical portrait' FL range), than being limited to FL = 70mm.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks William,

A bit of background: My wife owns a boutique and she takes model shots once a week in store she has a "pretty" corner of the store that she uses. It is a tight squeeze and the 70-200 would not be user friendly, The 100mm 2.8 was too long. I have a 50 1.8 for her but she likes zooms!

I had a 24-105 on the 5D i had to hand back to work was great for me but not for her. So im leaning towards the 24-70 lens as a all purpose lens for her to use.

Then after a little while i will grab a 70-200 for the extra reach.

to many decisions!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay nwhc, not sure if you're familiar with this tool, but it's set to the two lenses you've mentioned, and a Canon 1D111 body, but will give you an idea, just run your cursor over the table to swap lens.

I have the Canon 24 - 70 mm F2.8 L, great lens, good workable focal length. I'd send the extra, as the IQ is worth it.

With the tool, you should be able to change the Tamron to the Sigma lens for comparison as well. Have added the link.

Here is the Tamron and Sigma side by side.
    Last edited by Roosta; 28-03-2013 at 4:57pm.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the background - I understand.

WW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the Sigma version and it is the sharpest lens I own. I often do not even bother sharpening in post processing if I have used this lens
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Roosta I will have a look at that link, im leaning towards the canon just need to find a good one now so many $$$ even second hand.

Cheers Rick I have a friend with the canon sigma he has not said many nice things about but i may grab it off him for a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the Tamron better than the canon 24-70 I hired in the IQ department, and the VC is very good, but in the end I sold the Tamron and stuck with the 24-105 as I do like that extra bit of length, and the canon's AF is definitely faster, and if I need something fast, I'll just use one of my primes.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr