User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PhotoWatchDog

As some of you would know, the AIPP and ACMP have a Photo Watch Dog whose role it is to keep an eye on photography competitions in Australia and try to negotiate with the organisers of those competitions for better Terms and Conditions related to entering a photograph.

As an example it is not uncommon to see a clause that states something like:

This is just one section – there are 11 sections of a single term, and there are 54 terms in total :

that they own the content of their Entry in any way for use in any media worldwide and have the right to assign such copyright ownership in perpetuity and other Intellectual Property Rights in the Entry to the Promoter;

In short – they want the copyright – and once you’re read the entire terms and relate each term to each other, in order for it to make sense; this particular competition contains these points of concern:

a) You cant use the image for yourself in the future

b) You cant enter it into any other competition

c) You cant use it in your own portfolio

d) You can be held legally liable if the image gets used for any other purpose in perpetuity

e) And you’re agreeing to all of this just by entering – this applies to both winners and losers

The main trouble is that the general public simply do not read the Terms and Conditions. Instead they tend to “trust” the competition organiser that they’re doing the “right thing”.

That is where the problem starts. In most cases, a presumption is made by the entrant that the organiser wouldn’t do anything that is so blatantly unfair.

William Long is the AIPP and ACMP PhotoWatchDog and he has setup a facebook page to allow him to divest information about competitions and for people to report/raise concerns about photography competitions they come across. The page is HERE

If you are a facebook member, please feel free to 'like' the page, and it can be a valuable resource for both members and non-members of facebook, in relation to photography competitions here in Australia
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick thanks for the promotion.

I would urge everyone to go in and LIKE the PhotoWatchDog page.

Just to clarify that PhotoWatchDog is independent, its my organisation, it is actually just me. I do it without guidance or input from anywhere else. And I do it because I want to raise the issue of unfair Photo Competitions and try to educate all that are involved.

I represent a lot of different groups and AIPP and ACMP are just two. So its a self adopted role, and one that I've been doing for over 15 years.

The more people that LIKE this page, the more people who trust that I will represent the fight for fairness and integrity.

It is possible to make change, and I've succeeded many times in helping organisations open their eyes and minds to how they can produce an effective competition, and have fair Terms and Conditions. The more people, groups, clubs and organisations that support the cause the better.

Just please be aware that its a voluntary thing on my part, and that there is only me doing it

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    As some of you would know, the AIPP and ACMP have a Photo Watch Dog whose role it is to keep an eye on photography competitions in Australia and try to negotiate with the organisers of those competitions for better Terms and Conditions related to entering a photograph.

As an example it is not uncommon to see a clause that states something like:

This is just one section – there are 11 sections of a single term, and there are 54 terms in total :

that they own the content of their Entry in any way for use in any media worldwide and have the right to assign such copyright ownership in perpetuity and other Intellectual Property Rights in the Entry to the Promoter;

In short – they want the copyright – and once you’re read the entire terms and relate each term to each other, in order for it to make sense; this particular competition contains these points of concern:

a) You cant use the image for yourself in the future

b) You cant enter it into any other competition

c) You cant use it in your own portfolio

d) You can be held legally liable if the image gets used for any other purpose in perpetuity

e) And you’re agreeing to all of this just by entering – this applies to both winners and losers

The main trouble is that the general public simply do not read the Terms and Conditions. Instead they tend to “trust” the competition organiser that they’re doing the “right thing”.

That is where the problem starts. In most cases, a presumption is made by the entrant that the organiser wouldn’t do anything that is so blatantly unfair.

William Long is the AIPP and ACMP PhotoWatchDog and he has setup a facebook page to allow him to divest information about competitions and for people to report/raise concerns about photography competitions they come across. The page is HERE

If you are a facebook member, please feel free to 'like' the page, and it can be a valuable resource for both members and non-members of facebook, in relation to photography competitions here in Australia
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the clarification William

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work William. I like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work mate. It's really off-putting isn't it?
    Olympus E-30

Lenses:
    9-18mm f4-5.6
    14-54mm f2.8-3.5
    35mm f3.5
    70-300mm f4.0-5.6