User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: A tale of woe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tale of woe.

In the last three days I have slipped and fell twice on slippery rocks, carrying my D700 with Nikkor 16-35 F4 lens attached to a Manfrotto tripod. The first occasion the tripod took most of the shock and thank God no damage done to camera, lens and cokin filter. Now 3 days later I find myself up in the air again with the sickening sound of expensive camera gear hitting solid rock. This time not so lucky, lens separated from camera leaving the mount behind in the body. It seems fixable to me, there is some broken plastic on the bayonet fitting, some orange tape hanging out and hopefully the rest of the lens will be okay. The bayonet mount seems weak for the length and weight of the lens and I think this is a common occurrence.

However the lens is a grey purchase, from what I know if I take it to Nikon for repair they will check the serial number, find out it's a grey import and refuse to repair it. Is this correct? If so is there anywhere else I can send it for repair? Possibly somebody connected with this forum?
    My beautiful 16-35, so sad to see it broken (sniff). Incidentally the D700 body came through both falls with no damage, as well as the Manfrotto aside from some scratches. A lesson learned, the hard way - don't walk around with the camera mounted on the tripod, take it off and put it in the bag. That's why there is a quick release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fotog View Post
    find out it's a grey import and refuse to repair it. Is this correct?
    No, it just means they wont do any warranty work on it.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Fotog, whilst it's sad to hear about your broken gear, I'm hoping that physically you are ok, it would be sadder to hear that you had hurt yourself or even worse Marching around on slippery rocks and unbalancing yourself by carrying a tripod with camera attached is a recipe for disaster. Gear can be replaced, but valued members of AP can't be

Hakka may be right, you'll be able to get it repaired if you pay for it. And, as it was an accident (not a manufacturing type malfunction), I imagine that would be the case whether you bought it in OZ or 'grey'.

Look after yourself, and maybe check the kind of shoes that you are wearing on these expeditions as well, cheers Deb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear mate

Grey or not...this won't be covered by warranty. I'm going to be getting photo insurance pretty soon for all my gear. Just a thought for the future

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    Hey Fotog, whilst it's sad to hear about your broken gear, I'm hoping that physically you are ok, it would be sadder to hear that you had hurt yourself or even worse Marching around on slippery rocks and unbalancing yourself by carrying a tripod with camera attached is a recipe for disaster. Gear can be replaced, but valued members of AP can't be

Hakka may be right, you'll be able to get it repaired if you pay for it. And, as it was an accident (not a manufacturing type malfunction), I imagine that would be the case whether you bought it in OZ or 'grey'.

Look after yourself, and maybe check the kind of shoes that you are wearing on these expeditions as well, cheers Deb
    Thanks for your concern Deb, I did hurt my wrist and jar my back, but it could have been a lot worse. The first time I had bare feet, it was at a waterfall and I nearly went over an edge. An inner voice was warning me of danger but I didn't listen. Yesterday I had work boots, trod on a wet slippery rock and down I went, with a broken $1300 lens in front of my eyes. Definitely will be watching my step from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks hakka and puzzle, I will take it too Nikon, hopefully it won't be too expensive. I have coverage but I think its a $300 excess so maybe it won't be worth making a claim. Still if it's beyond economical repair, I might be okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry to hear of your accidents, and hope you recover soon.

I do worry about the weird places Wayne and my nephew end up in for "that" shot- it scares me. Photography can be dangerous, just a couple of weeks ago a man fell to his death on Ebor Falls (near Dorrigo NSW). It is thought he was trying to get a different vantage point. A photo is not worth anyones life

I hope your gear repair goes smoothly and quickly.
    Di
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very unfortunate to hear. Perhaps another wise investment would be some good walking shoes that have stickier rubber. I do a lot of rock scrambling and can recommend that a better pair will get you much better performance on dry and wet rock. Go to a proper outdoor store (not Rebel Sport or Amart) and have a look around they aren't that expensive.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that mate, I hope it all works out for you and doesn't cost too much. I agree with the above, I invested in some good walking shoes that grip really well on wet river rocks.
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heartily endorse Dunlop Volleys.

You won't see a roof worker without a pair! You can even get them with steel caps now too!

Make sure when you put your lens in for repair, to send your body in too! Although you say it's fine and suffered no damage, they are very sensitive shock, and something that may not be causing any difficulties now could turn into something major later, like say for example, the mirror array could have been partially damaged and will need a few clicks to damage properly. (Just a thought) It could make it worth while claiming that insurance.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tikira;1128573]I am sorry to hear of your accidents, and hope you recover soon.

I do worry about the weird places Wayne and my nephew end up in for "that" shot- it scares me. Photography can be dangerous, just a couple of weeks ago a man fell to his death on Ebor Falls (near Dorrigo NSW). It is thought he was trying to get a different vantage point. A photo is not worth anyones life

I hope your gear repair goes smoothly and quickly.
    Di[/QUOTE

Thanks Di, I understand your concern but sometimes we need to move out of our comfort zone or photography would get pretty boring. No need to risk your life or expensive camera gear though. Take your time, make sure of your footing.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post

You won't see a roof worker without a pair! You can even get them with steel caps now too!
    Or the good ole DB's

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    That's very unfortunate to hear. Perhaps another wise investment would be some good walking shoes that have stickier rubber. I do a lot of rock scrambling and can recommend that a better pair will get you much better performance on dry and wet rock. Go to a proper outdoor store (not Rebel Sport or Amart) and have a look around they aren't that expensive.
    I have a pair of Keen hiking sandals which I recommend, both times I slipped I wasn't wearing them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate, I hope it all works out for you and doesn't cost too much. I agree with the above, I invested in some good walking shoes that grip really well on wet river rocks.
    Thanks mate, it's a sickening sound hearing expensive photographic gear hitting rock and I never want to hear it again. As I mentioned Keen hiking sandles are very good in wet slippery conditions, I have never slipped while wearing them.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post

Make sure when you put your lens in for repair, to send your body in too! Although you say it's fine and suffered no damage, they are very sensitive shock, and something that may not be causing any difficulties now could turn into something major later, like say for example, the mirror array could have been partially damaged and will need a few clicks to damage properly. (Just a thought) It could make it worth while claiming that insurance.
    You know that's a good idea, it needs a sensor clean anyway and I have a spare body. I'll say one thing about the old d700, they made them tough. It's had a couple of good knocks and seems unaffected. I don't know how the newer models would have handled it with less metal and more plastic. I have seen reports on the net of lens mounts being ripped out of the D800's after being dropped.
    Last edited by fotog; 20-03-2013 at 6:05pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fotog View Post
    I have a pair of Keen hiking sandals which I recommend, both times I slipped I wasn't wearing them.
    I smashed a camera at trentham falls in a pair of keens

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hakka View Post
    I smashed a camera at trentham falls in a pair of keens
    Let's face it, no footwear is going to save you on slippery rocks, unless you have cleats on your shoes rock fisherman style. Injuries and expensive repairs have taught me a lesson, if it looks wet and slippery don't go there.
    Last edited by fotog; 23-03-2013 at 11:00am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heart my crocs for water/seascapes. Oh so grippy!
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII