User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Tripod and what head should I use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Tripod and what head should I use?

I have a d5100 and like to shoot landscapes. I want to spend about 150.00 US Dollar. What would you suggest? Thank-You,

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if you are serious about photography as a long term hobby etc, my suggestion would be to save more and when you have about double what you have now, then look for the best you can get at the price.

Getting a cheaper tripod now might seem like a good idea, but eventually you will realise you want/need something better and spend the extra at that time anyway.

If would say a Manfrotto 190 series would be about the minimum.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo Rick's sentiments - do not skimp out on a tripod, you'll regret it.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Manfrotto 190 XBPRO, with several heads. The above sentiments are good advice indeed, but, to get the best use out of what you can afford, the Manfrotto is a pretty good unit for the price. It's light, packs away to a short length, and sturdy. Your body is not too heavy for it, and for shooting scapes, it's a very capable tripod.

Tripod

Head Main head I use for sea - landscapes

This is what I have, and will hold either of my Canon bodies (50D - 1D) with any of my UWA and WA lenses. It's also pretty handy for Macro work, as the center is fully adjustable.

I have found, thanks to good advice, I get more use from my Monopole and a RRS head, for my sports shooting, but that also uses the 1D with either my 70 - 200 mm L F2.8 or the 300 mm prime.

I would not recommend that setup going onto the Manfrotto and Pan Tilt head, as the Camera/Lens set up is just to heavy, so horse's for courses. If you intend to travel with it and a light body and UWA, you'll be well pleased.

I would strongly recommend going to a shop that has a good selection of tripods, from several makers, and try your setup out on them. That way you'll see what works for you. Being your in Cali, there should be no end of Camera Shops around.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still think the Vanguard series is good value , I've had mine out every morning Mon-Fri on the beach(Since last August) and in the sand and water and it's still smooth as (After a little spray and a wash every morning) Great for early morning long exposures , Sturdy as , I have this one http://www.vanguardworld.com.au/inde...1-4-14-81.html coupled with the SBH100 Ballhead http://www.vanguardworld.com.au/inde...-4-23-144.html Tripod cost was $ 134.00 and the Ballhead was $84 Cameras Direct
    Last edited by William; 03-02-2013 at 6:35pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Manfrotto tripod and I'm quite happy with it.

However I'd advise you to consider an Arca Swiss plate-compatible head as I found the tolerances on the Manfrotto clamps to be very loose.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tripod should be as stiff as possible. Stiffness comes with leg material, dimension, number of section. Better 3 instead of 4 sections. Weight???
    Check out Nikonians website on this subject, it clarifies a lot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contributed this article about my search for a tripod and head. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ripod_and_head

One thing I can state without fear of contradiction is that 'a good cheap tripod' is an oxymoron. They don't exist.

As Rick said above, you would be much wiser to save some more dollars rather than waste the ones you have on something that just won't do the job.

I wasted money on three 'cheap' tripods before I got the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3. It does the job but is still nowhere perfect, if indeed the 'perfect' tripod exists.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Kevin : It does the job but is still nowhere perfect, if indeed the 'perfect' tripod exists.

Apparently this one called "Brian" go's pretty close Kev, $500au from Protog

Here's a review : http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Pr...an-tripod.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the perfect tripod consists of more than 1 tripod...

Not that fond of the 3 Legged Thing's, I had a look at them at CameraPro in Brisbane and I don't think they were worth the price. Having a Benro Travel Angel now, I think the build ,features and price is better IMO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Quote Kevin : It does the job but is still nowhere perfect, if indeed the 'perfect' tripod exists.

Apparently this one called "Brian" go's pretty close Kev, $500au from Protog

Here's a review : http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Pr...an-tripod.html
    Bill, I don't know that I'd be all that comfortable having my legs intertwined with Brian's in public places, or even in private. I'm sure Brian has lots of admirable traits, but I don't think he is my cup of tea. And calling him a 'Three Legged Thing' evokes all sorts of scary images.

BTW, welcome back from the dark side. Three or four days of 102.9 on a tranny must have been rather challenging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep saving to get a serious tripod later. In the meantime, you can shoot most landscape with a simple bean bag and a remote shutter release...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could not agree more, a strong tripod is going to be the ticket.

Reason why you are better off not getting cheap - because they are flimsy and will sway about, wind or no wind. Then you will go out and buy one that doesnt, so u might as well do it from the start.
    If you ever do a long exposure or use heavy lenses you will soon appreciate a good tripod

I have bought all of mine big tripods cheap overseas, so if you are going OS, then look at that option too.
    FWIW, I paid under $120 for my tripods with ball head and they have lasted 5years now and the ball hear/tripod is rated to 12kgs and together as a combo they weigh 2.5kg.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive a Gold photo tripod..its a rip off from a Manfrotto 55....seems to do the Job..also I've tried different heads..ranging from the stock pan and tilt to the Gitzo ball head.. I'm now using a manfrotto pistol grip that lays horizontally..its the best yet..very easy to adjust...
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think that my tripod was really steady until I tested it. Here's how ... using a laser pointer fixed to my telephoto lens with a spot of removable wall putty and rubber bands, I triggered the camera shutter with timer delay and observed the laser light directed onto a wall 50 meters away. The laser light vibrated, ever so slight, but enough to compromise picture detail. Even with the camera mirror locked (up), I noticed camera shake. It was more apparent at night and movement was accentuated with the mere gust of an indoor air conditioner directed at the tripod – I could imagine how much worse it would be outside in windy conditions.

Tips. For your budget, I suggest you consider a used tripod and ball head. Heavier tripods are generally steadier, particularly in winds. The best rig will dampen/absorb vibration (obvious, I know, but in this respect, multi-ply carbon fibre is superior to aluminium and is lighter). Try to avoid a tripod with a centre column – the column sacrifices rigidity, as do 4 or more leg sections. Some of the better tripods will allow you to position your camera inches above ground level yet extend to a comfortable working height for taller users.

*removed- refer to the site rules, in particular rules 3-7 for new members*
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-03-2013 at 2:00pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an all metal tripod from the 70's. Works great haha.

I go into camera stores...I look at tripods...anything under $300 is plastic flimsy junk from what I have seen. Sorry!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you just love it when you reply to a post asking for help, and you get Sweet Fanny Adams back.

No acknowledgement for the time you've taken to reply, or the fact that you've offered assistance, nada, zip, Jack Sh!t.

And no, I don't offer assistance in the hope that I'll get thanked profusely, but gee it's just common courtesy to reply, even if you only click the 'Thanks' button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Kev....I thanked you

hows the nikon 300F4 treating you..did you get it in the end ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Transformer View Post
    I used to think that my tripod was really steady until I tested it. Here's how ... using a laser pointer fixed to my telephoto lens with a spot of removable wall putty and rubber bands, I triggered the camera shutter with timer delay and observed the laser light directed onto a wall 50 meters away. The laser light vibrated, ever so slight, but enough to compromise picture detail. Even with the camera mirror locked (up), I noticed camera shake. It was more apparent at night and movement was accentuated with the mere gust of an indoor air conditioner directed at the tripod – I could imagine how much worse it would be outside in windy conditions.

Tips. For your budget, I suggest you consider a used tripod and ball head. Heavier tripods are generally steadier, particularly in winds. The best rig will dampen/absorb vibration (obvious, I know, but in this respect, multi-ply carbon fibre is superior to aluminium and is lighter). Try to avoid a tripod with a centre column – the column sacrifices rigidity, as do 4 or more leg sections. Some of the better tripods will allow you to position your camera inches above ground level yet extend to a comfortable working height for taller users.

*removed- refer to the site rules, in particular rules 3-7 for new members*
    Ive never tried that..but interesting findings using the laser poniter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tommo

Yes Mate, got the 300 f4 and the TC-14EII, and can't speak highly enough of either of them.

And re the above, just go to Live View, crank up the magnification, and see how much the camera vibrates when you just touch it, let alone activating the shutter.
    Last edited by Cage; 15-03-2013 at 11:18pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have any images posted with that combo.either on AP or elsewhere...if so could you post a link..im interested to ave a look mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast