User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Muslin backdrops - Im not sure why I bothered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muslin backdrops - Im not sure why I bothered.

Well I am, I cant fit a 2.7m roll of paper in my car when Im going somewhere!

But anyway, the crease factor is tiresome, all the extra PP to get rid of it... No way to iron those suckers easily - maybe I need to store them differently?

Am thinking I'll get some rolls to use at home instead.

Anyone else have any muslin handling techniques to share?
    Pentax K7, MZ-30 (film), ME-Super (film), Diana mini, Holga Sterographic (3D)
    Pentax FA31/1.8 Ltd, FA 50/1.4, FA 77/1.8 Ltd, DFA 100/2.8 Macro WR, DA*16-50/2.8, DA*50-135/2.8, DA 18-250, FA 100-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-35, Tamron 18-200, Photix 35mm Tilt-shift, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, Lensbaby, 2x Pentax AF 540GZ, various other bits of flash accessories + more enthusiasm than skill.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A clothes steamer would be the go.

Hang your muslin, run the steamer over it, creases gone
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're supposed to stretch them on the stands to remove the creases, but I find that hanging them damp helps as well. Take a bucket. They're not too difficult to blur in post. Use a surface blur and a mask. Easier if they're a plain, non-patterned type.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, will give those a try, excepting the bucket/damp thing if Im taking it somewhere important (ie getting paid)

I had stretched them on the stand, but maybe I need to stretch even more than I had!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go the steamer.

I have seen one inaction and they work fine but you don't want to be using one in a small room in summer!

You could try rolling them up neatly and putting them on a roof rack.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser Hypop's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys.
    We sell paper roll backgrounds for only $99.99 + shipping at Hypop if you guys are looking for a cheap alternative.
    If you guys go through 5 or more paper backgrounds per month, I can bring that price down lower.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypop View Post
    hey guys.
    We sell paper roll backgrounds for only $99.99 + shipping at Hypop if you guys are looking for a cheap alternative.
    If you guys go through 5 or more paper backgrounds per month, I can bring that price down lower.
    Got any 6 metres wide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When using a white muslin I use my lights to blow the muslin right out e.g. lights beside the subject and facing back at the muslin and using what ever light bounces around the room to light up the subject. When using a black muslin I get the subject to stand as far forward from it as possible and keep the light away from it e.g lights to the side and facing forward. Both of these techniques help a lot when post processing and give a much more natural light with even coverage.

Here is an image I shot a while a go. This is straight off the camera with just a resize. Once I bump up the exposure the muslin is completely blown out and creases almost disappear.

Those bodies: 2x gripped 7D's
    The bits on the front: Canon 35mm f2 is usm, Sigma 50mm f1.4 ex dg hsm, Sigma 85mm f1.4 ex dg hsm, Sigma 10-20 EX DG HSM, Canon 24-105 F4 L is, Sigma 120-300 F2.8 EX DG HSM, Sigma apo 2x ex dg teleconverter
    The bits on top: Canon 600EX-RT, Canon 430EXII