User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Do you prepair for photography outings or are you a get up and go kind of person?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you prepair for photography outings or are you a get up and go kind of person?

On the weekend I decided to try and go and take some pictures. I didn't have a place in mind so I just put my stuff in the car and drive. I ended up in a national park and had a walk around. In the end I only took a few pictures. But that got me thinking maybe I should do some preparation in the future.

When you go out do you have a specific subject/place in mind or are you more spontaneous like me? and how does it work out for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I do a little bit of both. Recently I went on an outing, prepared all my gear, had location decided and timed for light etc, but ended up taking shots of a completely different subject. I think it is important to be prepared, but also ready for 'anything'. Sometimes it's nice to just see what's out there - you never know what you might capture. You may have just scouted yourself a location that you'll return to and get plenty of good photos from in the future.
    Best of luck in all your outings.
    Ang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually always have a purpose, location and gear in mind. I don't just throw a camera in the car and go looking for something to shoot.
    It works better for me that way because otherwise I would wander about aimlessly for hours and return with little or nothing.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the opportunistic approach of throwing you gear in the car and taking off in search of photos can have their rewards, these are few and far between. Capturing an image should be more about the preparation and and evolution of the steps you put into place to create something special. Careful planning, location scouting, weather forecasting, do you have the right equipment to capture what you wish to create. I find a good geographical knowledge of the area is paramount, do you know where the sun will rise and/or set? Which hills light up/shadow first/last, how does different natural elements change your image ie: shadows, cloud, crepuscular rays etc, access to the area you want to shoot and so forth.
    Google Earth is a great little tool I use and The Photographer's Ephemeris. So all in all, it pays to prepare and have fun while you're doing it!
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO - Prepare.

At least have to have an idea of what you're planning to go out and get.

I guess i can see the logic in 'get up and go' approach, as you would probably come across some interesting subjects.

But yeah... im certainly one who comes from the 'Prepare' category.
    Daniel Thompson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II : 24-70mm f2.8L : 70-200mm f2.8L IS II : 17-40mm f4L : CANON EF 100MM F2.8 MACRO L IS USM: 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM : 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS : 50mm f1.8 : 430EX II & 580EX II External Speedlites : Manfrotto 190X PROB + 804RC2 head : Lee CPL, ND and GND filter system : Lee Big Stopper : CS6 Photoshop : PS Elements 11 : PS Lightroom 5 Tightly packed into a Lowepro Pro Runner 450

Follow me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/GreenOrchardPhotography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to do either. I am completely frustrated at how time poor I am and I haven't been out or taken anything that I would consider good enough for posting here, for ever. I had a few goes at a sunset the other day at my local park (Ruffey Lake), but now I need to get the hang of post processing, of which I have nil knowledge, nor software for, at the moment.

Having said that, my preference, when I eventually get time, is to plan where I am going and the time of day to go, and then go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me. I put everything in the car, have a location in mind, then drive. My wife works weekends, so I usually I have little to do. I have a plan 90% of the time. But as we know. Plans can come unstuck.
    I might do 300 - 500km's on a weekend. I carry 3 tripods, 2 cameras, 4 lenses, speedlights and all my spare batteries. Sometimes I might do 500km's and get 2 photos. And other times 100km's and get 100's
    Always take all your gear (If driving) Have a goal in mind. But always lookout for that something different along the way, or on the way back. If walking. Take an extra lens or two in you bag. Just in case.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do both, but particularly when we are around our own area we are always a little prepared- gear ready to go almost all the time, a tripod lives in our car, we scout possible locations regularly and search the net in spare time, have snacks and water that we keep in the car too, and have a suitcase of "stuff" (backdrops, lights, props etc) that we can just throw in the car if we need to do portraits.

But sometimes we just need to take photo's and with no idea where or what we are after- we just go.

Di
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the sort of person who worry about everything. I have to plan everything before I go...'in case' something goes wrong Location, sunset/sunrise, weather, tide time...I tend to worry and search everything. I love going out, but sometimes, I stay at home and wander around backyard and neighbors to do some macro photos, so I don't need to stress too much on my days off
    Miyuki

Nikon D7000 and bits and bobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly plan, I always know what the weather and tides are up to, What places work better on different tides and sun position, Most nights I'll know where I'll head the next morning , Have'nt got time to muck around , The sun waits for nobody, All equipment is preped the previous day/Afternoon
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scouting locations for photographic intent - I do this everywhere I go.

What's that saying? "perfect planning prevents piss poor performance"
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry a little of topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    I would love to do either. I am completely frustrated at how time poor I am and I haven't been out or taken anything that I would consider good enough for posting here, for ever. I had a few goes at a sunset the other day at my local park (Ruffey Lake), but now I need to get the hang of post processing, of which I have nil knowledge, nor software for, at the moment.
    Firstly, post a few photos, say your not sure it was worth posting but did so in order to learn from others here how it could be done better. Is part of the point of the CC forums.
    Also, what camera do you have? You may have PP software that came with it. I still only use DPP that came with my Canon camera.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.