User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Canon 7d or the Canon 5d mark2?

  1. #1
    Account Closed Miss Molly's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Mar 2013
    Location
    Wilberforce
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Canon 7d or the Canon 5d mark2?

    I know this question has more then likely been asked before, but I am upgrading my camera. I have had my canon for a couple of years now but still class myself as a beginner as I have never really taken it if auto, I have decided to go and book into a course and get a new camera as devote more time to taking photos, my favourite subjects to shoot are, animals, landscapes, children and flowers etc..
    I just can not decide wether to get a 7d or a 5d mark2, is the mark2 worth the extra money?? I also thought my lenses would fit but after reading a thread on here I am thinking that they won't fit so I will need new lenses..
    It is all so confusing.... Help...


    edited to say, I reread my post and I should say I do use the camera off the auto settings but not the lenses..
    Last edited by Miss Molly; 17-03-2013 at 1:06pm.

  2. #2
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,138
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Neither. Keep the camera you have an learn how to take photos. You say you don't take it off auto, well what is the point of upgrading? Learn with what you have and THEN upgrade! Getting a 'better' camera will not give you better photos. The person behind the camera needs to know how to use their tools. So keep what you have, learn, then upgrade.

    Re Lenses. EF-S lenses will not fit on full frame sensor Canon cameras
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  3. #3
    Ausphotography Irregular Warbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 2012
    Location
    Rockyview
    Posts
    1,962
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EF-S lenses won't fit the FF 5D Mk II, so I'd suggest you need to find out the answer to what lenses you have before you get any further into this question. Once you have an idea of the costs associated, your choices become a little clearer.

  4. #4
    Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Miss Molly's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Mar 2013
    Location
    Wilberforce
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I am going to do a 8 week photography course I thought if I was going to upgrade at some stage I would do best to upgrade and do the course that would help me learn the new camera..

  5. #5
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,138
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Molly View Post
    Because I am going to do a 8 week photography course I thought if I was going to upgrade at some stage I would do best to upgrade and do the course that would help me learn the new camera..
    Cameras are basically a light proof box with a light sensitive surface, and a lens. Once you grasp how ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed work, it doesn't matter what camera you grab or use, they all work on the same basic principles. Learn with what you have and then upgrade. What you learn with the camera you have now, doesn't suddenly becomes obsolete with a new camera.

  6. #6
    If's and But's get you nowhere rookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 2009
    Location
    Corlette
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay with the camera you have as trying to learn about a new camera and do a coarse at the same might get a bit confusing.
    Last edited by rookie; 17-03-2013 at 1:40pm.
    Wayne

    Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    14 Jan 2013
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep your current camera for 12months, by that time your photography should be much better, and the camera you want will be cheaper!
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

  8. #8
    Loves The Wildlife. Mary Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Southside.
    Posts
    32,879
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Miss Molly and Welcome to AP. You say you have had your camera a couple of years yet you still class you self as a beginner, why is that don't you use it enough.
    I am always practising many days I go out and take photos and when it raining I have a go inside at still life, low light and dead insects I have in a small chocolate box.
    One camera is much the same as the next when it come to using it, some models have more things than others, like higher ISO and more megapixels and fps..
    You don't say which camera you have. My 40D is old 10 Mps and I can produce good photos with it, macro, birds, flowers, I use is as much as my 5D Mk11 21 Mps.
    As all Members said above you are better off learning how to use the camera you have now. Believe me a bigger more expensive camera will not make you take better photos..
    My 52/2011 Challenge

    I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras



  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    05 Oct 2008
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, my first dslr was a canon d20, a solid workhorse superseded by many models before i bought my 5dmk2, i agree that you should stick to the camera you have, i still take cracker shots with my d20 using only the basic kit lenses, learn the basics, practice alot, when it comes to photography its not all about the best and latest, look at the vintage shots of yesteryear, these were taken in a wooden box with a black cloth, knowledge is power in this game
    I've done so many things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting. ~Moe, The Simpsons

    http://Grae-and-co-images.com/

    canon 5dmk 2, some lenses, a couple of sticks to hold them up, a thing that make sun at night, and a sense of adventure

  10. #10
    Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Miss Molly's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Mar 2013
    Location
    Wilberforce
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Hello Miss Molly and Welcome to AP. You say you have had your camera a couple of years yet you still class you self as a beginner, why is that don't you use it enough.
    I am always practising many days I go out and take photos and when it raining I have a go inside at still life, low light and dead insects I have in a small chocolate box.
    One camera is much the same as the next when it come to using it, some models have more things than others, like higher ISO and more megapixels and fps..
    You don't say which camera you have. My 40D is old 10 Mps and I can produce good photos with it, macro, birds, flowers, I use is as much as my 5D Mk11 21 Mps.
    As all Members said above you are better off learning how to use the camera you have now. Believe me a bigger more expensive camera will not make you take better photos..
    Hope I can post this here..
    i think I still call myself a beginner because even though I have read my manual a lot and take it with me when I take my camera out I think it is more luck when I get a great shot not skill.. I have some shots I love but I don't know if they are good shots, ( is there a thread I can post a link in to my Flickr account)?
    My camera is a 450d, I do understand that it is not about having the best/latest camera, but the reason I was looking at doing a 8 week photo course which is limited to 12 people was so I could get some one on one teaching or group teaching about IOS, exposure, aperture etc because even though I read about it I still don't think I really understand it.. ( does that make sense)..

  11. #11
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,138
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Which you can easily do with a 450D. It is a great entry level camera and quite capable of being used by a photographer to create fantastic photos. Your 450D can do everything you will need of a camera at this time.

    We even have a New To Photography learning plan here on Ausphotography: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...otography_Book

    This is designed to be easy to follow and not only teach you how ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed work, but how they work in conjunction with each other.

    Buying a new camera now is only going to mean you learn the same stuff you could with your 450D, with a different camera. So stick with the 450D and learn first. Then when you reach the limitations of an entry level camera, and understand those limitations and why upgrading would help, then buy a new camera.

  12. #12
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2009
    Location
    Kalgoorlie
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Miss Molly - welcome to the obsession

    I am going to echo much of what the others have said, at the moment I feel it is not the camera that is the limit but more the knowledge.

    That said, your question was 7D or 5D2.

    I would agree with the others, hold off until you feel it is the camera that is holding you back.....BUT, if you are determind to buy, I would go 7D. I have the 5D2 and it is an amazing camera but dated. The 7D benefits from newer technology and that is the reason I would go 7D.

    Remember, you control the camera so whichever you chosse, the results are driven by what you do with it. Only you can decide your budget and desires (ps, I know about desire, I buy lots of stuff I cannot use properly but damn it feels good )

  13. #13
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jun 2006
    Location
    the worst house, in the best street
    Posts
    7,710
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason to hold off on a new camera for right now, is that once you learn more about photography, you'll also learn more about how you want to best capture your ideas and visions.

    Sometimes this can only be achieved via a newer or better camera body, and other times this can only be achieved with an additional lens.
    (I would have loved to written that as a new lens, but that could be misinterpreted as another lens purchased new .. which is not the case .. any lens added to your current lens collection can help you achieve another perspective).

    Once you've done your course, you may have a better understanding of how you want to go about your photography.

    as an example:
    If you currently have a 450D and a couple of kit lenses to match, and you find that you want to pursue portrait photography ... firstly kit lenses are not ideal for portrait photography, and as already said EF-S lenses will not mount to a full frame Canon! So you'll have a body that also requires at least one new lens too.
    So, a new lens may be the better option at this particular point in time, still used on the 450D, but also with the ability to be mounted onto the larger sensor camera too.

    PS. why the 5DMII and not the newer 6D?(is there a huge price difference? Is the MkII second hand, and hence a lot cheaper).


    Also as already stated, post a list of the lenses you currently have in your possession.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC


  14. #14
    Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Miss Molly's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Mar 2013
    Location
    Wilberforce
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Another reason to hold off on a new camera for right now, is that once you learn more about photography, you'll also learn more about how you want to best capture your ideas and visions.

    Sometimes this can only be achieved via a newer or better camera body, and other times this can only be achieved with an additional lens.
    (I would have loved to written that as a new lens, but that could be misinterpreted as another lens purchased new .. which is not the case .. any lens added to your current lens collection can help you achieve another perspective).

    Once you've done your course, you may have a better understanding of how you want to go about your photography.

    as an example:
    If you currently have a 450D and a couple of kit lenses to match, and you find that you want to pursue portrait photography ... firstly kit lenses are not ideal for portrait photography, and as already said EF-S lenses will not mount to a full frame Canon! So you'll have a body that also requires at least one new lens too.
    So, a new lens may be the better option at this particular point in time, still used on the 450D, but also with the ability to be mounted onto the larger sensor camera too.

    PS. why the 5DMII and not the newer 6D?(is there a huge price difference? Is the MkII second hand, and hence a lot cheaper).


    Also as already stated, post a list of the lenses you currently have in your possession.
    I only asked about the 7d and the 5dm2 as they seems to be the ones that I have seen and heard about, but that is why I joined this forum to get an ideas on which camera I should buy.. I have found the 7d with a lens for $1799, or a 5dm2 body for the same price..

    The lens I have are 18-55mm efs, 55-250mm efs which won't fit a new body. I also have a 50mm ef which will fit a newer body??

  15. #15
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jun 2006
    Location
    the worst house, in the best street
    Posts
    7,710
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Molly View Post
    .... I also have a 50mm ef which will fit a newer body??
    Which will work on a full frame camera!

    That's a start, but remember that that is the only lens you will have that does.

    In this case then, I'd hold off as already said on a new camera, and learn to use what you already have.

    If you can find some money to add to your lens collection do this as a priority, with the view to full frame compatibility.

    Once you have a clearer understanding of how each bit of gear works in relation to each other piece, and how this relates to what you want to achieve, then look to updating the camera to the best option for your purposes.

  16. #16
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    793
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Molly View Post
    My camera is a 450d, I do understand that it is not about having the best/latest camera, but the reason I was looking at doing a 8 week photo course which is limited to 12 people was so I could get some one on one teaching or group teaching about IOS, exposure, aperture etc because even though I read about it I still don't think I really understand it.. ( does that make sense)..
    In 2011, I had an HSC Art Student, (Photography Major) who used a 400D and the Kit Lens. She creamed the HSC Art Exam, attaining a Band Six and a mention in the Premier’s List – her major work was selected and hung.

    Your camera is capable of taking fine photographs and is a most suitable tool for you to learn Photography.


    In point of fact – the 450D is a MORE SUITABLE camera for you to take to an eight week course: because no matter how limited your experience and knowledge of the 450D, you have much MORE experience than if you were to buy and use a new camera, for the course.


    WW
    Last edited by William W; 18-03-2013 at 7:26am.

  17. #17
    Member Brettmc20's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 2013
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a beginner myself, dont get hung up on new cameras and gear because you will spend so much time thinking about it and reading reviews on your computer you will never get out and take photos.
    My friend has a 1100D and without a doubt he can take better pictures than me with my 550d and my other friend with a 7d with L Lens. He really knows how to use the camera and use it to its full potential.

    Hes been taking photos with his 1100D for quite sometime, you need to do the same. Practice with your 450D, until you know when the camera has reached it limitation.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good advice about upgrading cameras here, a more expensive camera wont take better pictures. If anything spend the money on a new lens! Maybe a wide aperture standard lens like 50mm f/1.4 or 1.2 or 35mm f/1.4. These are great on every camera and will stay with you forever if you stay with canon.
    If choosing 7D of 5D2 i would choose 5d2 unless you are primarily shooting sports or wildlife with action. I have owned/own both cameras and in terms of full frame vs crop full frame is much nicer for most situations due to depth of field control and overall better image quality (in my experience). This is not to say 7D is a bad camera, If choosing one I go with 5D2.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

  19. #19
    Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Miss Molly's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Mar 2013
    Location
    Wilberforce
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question and give me your thoughts, I do appreciate it..

    Thanks

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    26 Aug 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Molly,

    There's a big difference between wants and needs. While you may not NEED a new body, I can only assume that you WANT one, and that you have the disposable income to purchase either the 7D or the 5DII. In answer to your question as to which body, that depends in part on what you prefer to shoot.

    If you prefer landscapes and portraits, the 5DII is the pick of the two.
    If you prefer sport, action and/or birding, the 7D is the one to go for.
    That's not to say that either body can't do all of the above, it's just that each has its strengths that makes it better suited to particular applications.

    Whether you upgrade, or stick with your current body, make the most of the course you're about to undertake, and practise, practise, practise. The more you use your camera, and the more images you capture, the better your photography will become.

    Good luck,
    Mark
    Mark

    Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •