User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34

View Poll Results: Duck Season - Supporter or Opposer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support a Duck Season

19 54.29%
  • No I don't supprt a Duck Season

16 45.71%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duck Season

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duck Season

Duck Season supporter or opposer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support duck season, as I have lived in the country most of my life and have grown up shooting ducks, rabbits etc.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know too much about duck hunting in Aust.
    In NZ it would be difficult to oppose (on environmental grounds at least) if hunters confined themselves to shooting Mallards. Instead they seem happy to shoot anything out of the sky, including the critically endangered but unprotected Grey duck, plus other endangered natives that are protected.
    TBH, while responsible hunters do exist, I doubt that the majority of Aussie hunters are any more discriminating than their NZ counterparts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get no benefit from people shooting ducks, either does 99% of the rest of the country.
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extraball View Post
    I get no benefit from people shooting ducks, either does 99% of the rest of the country.
    Ummm, fees for duck licences etc, go back into maintaining waterways, etc. Duck hunters spend money, so just like you and I they contribute to the Australian Economy, and that helps all of us.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Ummm, fees for duck licences etc, go back into maintaining waterways, etc. Duck hunters spend money, so just like you and I they contribute to the Australian Economy, and that helps all of us.
    fees for hunting licenses prob just pay the wages for public servants administering them. Poll should've been Duck season, or Wabbit season?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't feel that deliberately killing any creature for fun is such a good concept. If you like shooting guns, then shoot targets. I have guns, and I enjoy shooting; however there's a difference between shooting and killing. I know a lot of shooters will justify it by saying they're hunting for food, but the bottom line is generally that it's the thrill of killing a duck that turns them on. Pretty sad really.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duck hunters could say that photographers get turned on by taking photos, carpenters turned on by hanging a door, its a sport that serves a purpose it feeds people and culls the population of duck especially over rice paddys
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Personally, I don't feel that deliberately killing any creature for fun is such a good concept. If you like shooting guns, then shoot targets. I have guns, and I enjoy shooting; however there's a difference between shooting and killing. I know a lot of shooters will justify it by saying they're hunting for food, but the bottom line is generally that it's the thrill of killing a duck that turns them on. Pretty sad really.
    Would you consider the same for fisherman, or those that work in abattoirs, Kangaroo shooters, rabbit shooters or even farmers who slaughter their own stock? Most duck shooters I know enjoy duck (It is a great meat). I am not sure where this perception that duck hunters are any different to anyone else who slaughters a meat animal for food, comes from. If you eat meat or fish, you have to accept that to do so, someone, somewhere had to kill it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Bob may be referring to the fact that hunters (and fishermen for that matter) kill for fun rather than from necessity.

Generally agree your point though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I think Bob may be referring to the fact that hunters (and fishermen for that matter) kill for fun rather than from necessity.
    But is that true? I don't think any of them kill for FUN. Most eat their catch. Yeah you hear media reports when people shoot things and just leave them, but I do not believe the vast majority of hunters and fisherman considering killing fun.
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-03-2013 at 9:34am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if it wasn't fun nobody would bother.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motivation is my primary objection. Carpenters, photographers etc etc don't take a life while pursuing their activities. Clearly those of us who eat meat have to accept the humane killing of creatures, but the underlying motivation is survival or provision of food. Lions hunt to survive - people hunt for the thrill of it. Duck shooters would not want to stop killing if someone donated food to them as an alternative - their primary motivation is to kill - the thrill of the chase. Not too thrilling from a duck's perspective. Find me a duck hunter who days it's all about food and I'll show you someone who is either in denial or simply lying.

When killing is a source of enjoyment, and that is the primary motivation, it says a lot about the hunter - all of it bad.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The motivation is my primary objection. Carpenters, photographers etc etc don't take a life while pursuing their activities. Clearly those of us who eat meat have to accept the humane killing of creatures, but the underlying motivation is survival or provision of food. Lions hunt to survive - people hunt for the thrill of it. Duck shooters would not want to stop killing if someone donated food to them as an alternative - their primary motivation is to kill - the thrill of the chase. Not too thrilling from a duck's perspective. Find me a duck hunter who days it's all about food and I'll show you someone who is either in denial or simply lying.

When killing is a source of enjoyment, and that is the primary motivation, it says a lot about the hunter - all of it bad.
    But that is stereotyping every hunter. Like saying every photographer is a Paparazzi. I disagree with your views on this matter 100%!

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's illegal in our state so....... Though I agree with the hunting of feral animals that pose a threat to the fauna and flora, on my property we get quite a few feral pigs, kangaroos and plenty of rabbits that I find in my cross-hairs, though the rabbits occasionally have myxomatosis or calicivirus, most, if not all the animals I shoot can be used for human/pet consumption (other than the feral pigs as they are full of worms and other nasties.
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that is stereotyping every hunter. Like saying every photographer is a Paparazzi. I disagree with your views on this matter 100%!
    Oh well ...... I guess we all have different views. However, if you offered each hunter a coupon to get their ducks from a commercial duck farm, they'd laugh in your face. The amount they spend on their guns and gear would buy them enough ducks to satisfy their alleged "hunger". Nope .... it's the kill they're after - not the food. Saying that the majority of duck hunters are simply trying to feed their families is like saying Japanese whalers are conducting scientific research!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh well ...... I guess we all have different views. However, if you offered each hunter a coupon to get their ducks from a commercial duck farm, they'd laugh in your face. The amount they spend on their guns and gear would buy them enough ducks to satisfy their alleged "hunger". Nope .... it's the kill they're after - not the food. Saying that the majority of duck hunters are simply trying to feed their families is like saying Japanese whalers are conducting scientific research!!
    perhaps I could offer you a coupon for free photos from Getty? Would that stop you taking photographs?

And wild game duck has a completely different taste to commercial domestic duck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't feel that deliberately killing any creature for fun is such a good concept. If you like shooting guns, then shoot targets. I have guns, and I enjoy shooting;
    No offence here at all bobt have you ever seen what Ducks, pigs rabbits and carp do to our land at all?
    Yes you might enjoy shooting targets,as do I, but out in the country, Ducks are a pest and destroy crops, and when i do get a chance to go duck shooting I do enjoy it, and as soon as I get my bag I'm off home.

When i shoot, I shoot to get a feed, not necessity.

I think if it wasn't fun nobody would bother.
    I do enjoy getting out hunting when i get the chance, just like taking photos.

Just like Rick has already said, game ducks taste very different to ducks form a farm, but in saying that I do enjoy to eat them too.

My main point here is that there will always be people that enjoy shooting an hunting, and do the right thing, but you will always have the people that do the wrong thing, but
    to say that all hunters are the same is TOTALLY WRONG.

And one last thing, is most people that really object have never been out shooting in there life, and also don't see the damage that is done by the animals that everyone wants to protect,
    people need to get out to the country and have a look at what actually happens out here in the real world.

I mean no offense to anyone here regarding my post, if i have offended anyone in any way shape or form, I'm sorry.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what about Deer? Should we have a deer season? Venison is good eating too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about Deer? Should we have a deer season? Venison is good eating too!
    Very true Venison is very good eating, but I have never had the chance to go hunting for one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast