User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum photo upload size and how is it monitored?

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maximum photo upload size and how is it monitored?

Just wondering why when I try to upload a photo that is more than 250kb it is rejected, even if it is only 1kb over, yet there are regularly photos on the site that exceed 1MB.

I refer specifically to photos linked to pbase.com.
    Cheers
    Kev

D800 & GAS

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We can only limit filesizes that are uploaded to the AP server, thus the restriction is 250KB and 1024 pixels on the longest side for those.

Members can link in a file of any size, however if it is over 1024 pixels the site software will resize it and display it at 1024, and it has a bar at the top so people can click to view the full-size photo. But as the file is 'served' elsewhere it is outside our control about what KB size it might be. Therefore members can link to any KB size photo. It doesn't matter if it is pbase, photobucket, flickr, any other site where photos can be posted.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-03-2013 at 9:24pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting.

Thank you for the explanation.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about storage and to a lesser extent bandwidth.

All images hosted on AP (i.e. uploaded) are size limited,
    but [IMG linked images can be anything - as Rick said we re-size the display on AP
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    It's all about storage and to a lesser extent bandwidth.

All images hosted on AP (i.e. uploaded) are size limited,
    but [IMG linked images can be anything - as Rick said we re-size the display on AP
    I suppose the AP re-size works on some parameter that comes with the link. The image is never "stored" on AP (AFAICT).
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reason for the thread was because of my need to monitor my download usage.

Opening threads with four or five 5MB images chews big chunks out of my monthly allowance.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post

Opening threads with four or five 5MB images chews big chunks out of my monthly allowance.
    Who is your ISP? And don't forget uploads, unless they specify that they're not included. What's your limit?
    Am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin, can you point to the threads that contain images of 5MB. I cannot remember seeing images that size anywhere on the site.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sizes the display only, not the filesize, using some nifty Javascript

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You will see these cause they will download SLOWLY, so you can always exit that browser window. They also tend to load really large and then resize to 1024 pixels once the entire file is downloaded. You can also note which members are doing this and not open their threads

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    am, living in a small country town, my choices of ISP's are limited.

I have fibre optic cable running past my front door, but that is solely to service Telstra's wireless tower down the road. The local exchange does not have the infrastructure to offer cable subscriptions.

The twisted copper pairs cable needed to access ADSL2+ stops four doors from my house, and Telstra have informed me that it is not a financially viable option for them to extend the line to provide that service for the remaining twenty properties in the street.

My options are ADSL @64kbps (a nightmare as you can imagine), satellite, very fluky, or wireless which is reasonable. I just checked the download speed @19,304kbps or about 2.4Mbps, not as fast as you city folk get, but usable. It does slow down a bit when all the school kids hit it in the afternoon.

So at this stage I'm stuck with Telstra on a 4GB plan, but Optus have just commissioned a 4G tower close by, so I'm looking at switching over. Their 10GB plan is cheaper than Telstra's 4GB plan. And yes, I pay for uploads too.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Kevin, can you point to the threads that contain images of 5MB. I cannot remember seeing images that size anywhere on the site.
    Andrew, I didn't mean to imply that this was the case, rather that it was a possible scenario.

What I have seen is threads containing multiple images of more than 1MB.

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Kev ; I just checked the download speed @19,304kbps or about 2.4Mbps, not as fast as you city folk get, but usable. It does slow down a bit when all the school kids hit it in the afternoon.

Geez Kevin that is a difference , I just did a check and got this , Which is OK till schools out, Dont think I'll complain ever again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel, I was stuck on dialup for about 6 years before Telstra finally agreed there was cable in my street... now today:

Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did the same test.

I think that download speed is actually line speed, not your actual download speed.
    Last edited by Cage; 15-03-2013 at 1:36pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, the actual maximum theoretical speed you can download at is roughly your line speed (mbps) divided by 8.

Other side of the hill ... WhoDo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, Kev, I think you should stay where you are and enjoy! I'm paying for ADSL2+ and this is the best I get!!!!

I'm gonna go buy a mouse and exercise wheel now, and offer it to my ISP! (Bigpong)
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's terrible Waz.. I am on ADSL+2 Not with Telstra and get this..

My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Um, Kev, I think you should stay where you are and enjoy! I'm paying for ADSL2+ and this is the best I get!!!!

I'm gonna go buy a mouse and exercise wheel now, and offer it to my ISP! (Bigpong)
    Wazza, mate, you are not getting what you are paying for.

I'd be giving Bigpong heaps for what they are delivering.

I'm not unhappy with my download speed, just that the plan I'm on is $49.95 for a lousy 4GB per month.

Optus are offering 10GB for $39.95, and they are probably using mostly Telstra infrastructure.

I've just checked my speed again, in a reasonably high usage time, and it came up higher, and I'm on wireless.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, I didn't mean to imply that this was the case, rather that it was a possible scenario.

What I have seen is threads containing multiple images of more than 1MB.
    Thanks Kevin, there are occasions where people link large size files and mostly they are where the poster wants to show up a lot of fine detail.

It is a double edged sword I guess because it is handy for pixel peepers wanting to know how some gear performs and conversely it does cause hiccups for those on slow connections or who have restrictive monthly 'net quotas.

I never run into many speed issues on AP or monthly quota limits and we have slow ADSL with 10 GB peak and 10 GB offpeak a month for $49.95 and we quite often have 3 or more people + us in the house giving the net a pounding at all hours of the day and night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast