User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: New tripod : Any Benro users?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New tripod : Any Benro users?

Over the last couple of years, I've been very happy with the way Gitzo tripods have performed with the exception of one aspect : the accelerated death in sea water exposure.
    Last year, Marianne and I had to replace both tripods we had after several years coincidentally. We replaced one with a normal gitzo which was used only on dry land and tried a gitzo safari tripod which I took out to all seascape shoots (where often the tripod and I would be submerged to varying degrees).
    After a year of use, the carbon fibre wore out and the bottom leg frayed to extent where cracks have appeared and the footing is loose (despite cleaning it after every outing)
    I've come to the conclusion that with constant immersion in salt water, no claims of super duper resistant tripods are really going to hold up and so , I'm looking to downgrade for use in the sea.

From what I've heard, Benro equivalents of Gitzos work just as well and are half the price which seems to suit my purposes very well!
    Do any of you have any practical experiences with Benro durability and quality? Especially seascapers there who like to go swimming with their tripod.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there. I have the Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1 (Gimbal), and Benro C48T (Monopod).

I use it on the beach (kitesurfing) and the sole reason I got it was because of salt water exposure and not wanting to spend a fortune on a Gitzo tripod that was unlikely to last very long.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. It works exactly as advertised and I can't say I'm really unhappy with the quality. I consider it to be about 90% of the quality of Gitzo at about half the price.

The only thing I will say, is to avoid the ball heads unless you're after a cheap head. I think the ball heads are not great compared to the quality of their tripods.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that! I was going to keep using the gitzo ballhead but good to know about the quality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    thanks for that! I was going to keep using the gitzo ballhead but good to know about the quality
    Some of the tripods come with heads anyway so its not bad having a backup if that's the case, but I wouldn't plan on it being your primary. They stable and hold the camera and lens fine, but the action on the head isn't very smooth.

I got one free of charge with mine and I've had the odd occasion where I've had to use it which has been good.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 10-03-2013 at 10:12pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Benro monopod for birding, about 2 years old, I treat it very badly, I'd be divorced if it were my wife
    It continues to be solid and do its job.
    Abuse includes sand, salt water, mud, dank 'fresh' water, dirt etc. It gets a hose off sometimes.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_A49F
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks agian for the vote of confidence
    oh by the way, I presume the gitzo ball heads will screw on to the top without any problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an M-258 which I treat like a tripod of it's value. I don't salt water dunk it, but fresh water, dirt, dust all no problem. I have been using it almost since I started with photography 3 years back. It holds my gimbal and pro body with 400/2.8VR with all 3 legs extended and there is no issue with flex etc. I agree that these knock-offs are very good quality, and comparable to a genuine Gitzo at 1/3 the price.

If I broke it or lost it etc, I would have no hesitation replacing it with same tomorrow.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Benro have both 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 fittings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently bought a Benro Travel Angel CF and I really like it. Nice and solid, good build quality and when compared to the Gitzo I looked at in person, I think this is just as good for a lot less money. I find the ball head that came with it rather good too, I was half prepared to replace it straight away but it does the job well.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks again guys - waiting for mine to arrive through a site sponsor hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mikec - where did you get yours from. I have identified the Benro TAII CF as the tripod of choice and I have now just about got enough money to buy one - just a matter of finding where now.
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About two months ago I bought one of the Travel Angel tripods from these guys: http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/ (well actually from their ebay site). I think I got it for about $180.

It is only the second tripod I have owned, but I am very happy with it - it's miles ahead of the flimsy Inca I was using previously, and didn't cost much more. It's very sturdy, quick to set up and easy to adjust.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine for photo shop studio too

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got it today - ps. eglobal must have delivery staff on speed .....
    Going to give it a test tomorrow morning if conditions are OK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    got it today - ps. eglobal must have delivery staff on speed .....
    Going to give it a test tomorrow morning if conditions are OK
    What model did you buy and what are your initial thoughts about the quality

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks solid , works fine without taking photos lol - if it is as solid in the field, I think I know where my money is going in the future
    The ballhead works well except the quickplate release seems pretty finicky compared to the gitzos but I don't think I'll be using their's except in emergencies anyway
    I'll give you more of an idea once I Take it out!