Thread: DSLR & Lens advice required for a beginner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSLR & Lens advice required for a beginner

Hi all. I’ve been a member of this site for about a week or so now, and I must say, the amount of information here for the complete novice is overwhelming!! In addition, the quality of photos posted is amazing and inspiring.

I don’t currently have a DSLR, but I have begun saving towards one, so now is the time to ask that dreaded question – what do I need??

The types of photography that I am particularly interested in are:
    Landscapes – particularly sunrises & sunsets
    Streetscapes
    Birds
    Aeroplanes
    Travel – again, landscapes & streetscapes, scenery wildlife (Africa).

For the camera itself, I was thinking something along the lines of the Nikon D5100, or its Canon equivalent, EOS 600D. I think any higher than that would be a bit of overkill at this stage.

But as for the lenses, I am pretty much confused. I have read here that it would be best to invest in a good Tamron or Sigma lens, rather than the kit lenses that come with the camera as a package deal. Budget will probably have a say here. A D5100 with 18-55mm + 55-200mm lenses would cost approx. $850, where the same camera with a Tamron 18-270mm costs over $1,000.

All advice will be very much appreciated. If I need to add any other details, please let me know.

Regards

Neil
    Last edited by Doc63; 10-03-2013 at 9:13pm.