User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Help, advice and suggestions for hanging prints in my 'studio'.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help, advice and suggestions for hanging prints in my 'studio'.

I'm lucky enough to have an air conditioned and purely mine spare room in my house aptly named my 'studio' (yes visions of grandeur ) the back wall and other walls that you can see in the below posted photos are now becoming slowly more covered in A4 prints that I have done.

What I'd like is some suggestions on how to hang plain prints on my 'studio' walls.

At the moment I'm simply using blue tack to put them up, but over time the prints are losing there shape and bowing under gravity.

What I'd like to do (and I don't know much at all about this) is to back them onto cardboard. So I'd need one of those sliding cardboard cutting thingo's and to glue them on the the stiffer board? Anyone know about this or do this and could give me some pointers?

The other thing I'd like some suggestions on is a way to actually put the prints on the wall. Some method that allowed me to change and easily rotate prints over time.

Now this is all purely for my own self, only my wife and the odd visitor would ever get a look in, so it doesn't have to be gallery grade.....just some simple ideas would be really appreciated.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Photo behind glass with wood frames.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a Op Shop.. You can get real good frames from $2 up to around $20. Worth a look.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a lot of fames from the Reject Shop and Cheap as Chips from $2 for A4 to $15 for a 9X30 Panorama frame. The main ones I use are the 16X20 for 12X18 Prints at $6 and the 8X24 for my double length A4 panorama prints at $10 .
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 11-03-2013 at 12:06pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

I didn't really want to use frames. I was thinking more a long the lines of some type of velcro system, but that has it's pitfalls as well.

The other idea I was toying with was putting thin strips of wood on the wall so that the mounted on card photos could sit on and lean back slightly

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about laminating them?

Stiffens them up and gives you many more options in ways to mount them.

New A4 laminators go for around $40.00 on fleabay.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin,

I've only ever laminated one photo that was printed on glossy paper and the finished laminated pic didn't look as good.

I think I need to read up on getting a cardboard cutter and learn how to mount photos on cardboard.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For laminating I always print on matt paper and find it gives a much better look than glossy paper, very close to the glossy print unlaminated.
    For cutting card and paper I use one of these
    Cheers
    Keith.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I think I need to read up on getting a cardboard cutter and learn how to mount photos on cardboard.
    A few ways to do this - there are special presses (like big sandwich toasters ) but the simplest way is to use spray adhesive. Plenty of stuff on youtube.

To hang them you could maybe put some little hooks on the back of the cardboard mounts and run a line of picture wire across the wall to hold them (would need to watch the weight though). Maybe paint the wall with metallic paint and use magnets? (I haven't tried either of these btw, just throwing ideas about).

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim, I'm thinking you want to mount your pics onto something like cardboard and then be able to move them around, or remove and replace with something new?

So, spray on contact adhesive is the way to go for mounting them onto a firmer backing. What you use would depend upon what you printed them out on. A firm paper such as photographic paper that you use for inkjet printers could probably cope with something like KwikGrip. Lighter papers, you'd need to find a craft type spray adhesive (Spotlight would be a good place to go).

If you envisage maintaining pictures in pretty much the same place, but want to change the image, then I'd use velcro dots. They're pretty sticky. If you think you'd like to change the actual picture locations, then 3M (called Commander) make a range of stick on hooks that can be removed without damaging the wall surface. There is quite a variety to choose from, and any good hardware store should carry a fair range to choose from. People who live in rentals (where no fixing to the wall is allowed) tend to use these products.

GL with this, it's always nice to be able to spend some time contemplating your work, cheers Deb
    Last edited by Mathy; 13-03-2013 at 3:47am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    .....just some simple ideas would be really appreciated.

A4 adhesive foamboard and double sided foam tape should do the trick. No cutting required apart from the tape, should retain shape well over a period of time and won't destroy the wall surface.

That is the quick and easy way, slightly cheaper in the long run would be the plain foamboard and a can of photo mount adhesive.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's helpful I&M

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would buy or make up a frame with backing to hang on the wall. That way you have only one hole in your wall and then you can pin your photos' to the board. I laminate all my A4 photo's and am happy with the appearance. It is for the family and visitors to see, not hang on a gallery wall. Can't take a photo as removed to paint wall.
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX