Was working in Choma, Zambia, this week. Spare day, realised i was 2 hrs from Victoria Falls. Scammed a ride down, and one of our staff members who lived there took me in. Spontaneity sometimes means lack of research. I didn't know it was like a tropical gale. Despite a 'water proof' poncho I was soaked head to foot, particularly on the footbridge between Zambia and Zimbabwe. I tried in vain to protect my camera, and then nearly died when I realised i hadn't switched it off.

I got a beep, no display. I checked it over, and ended up putting my mouth over the little 'wheel' and sucking out water. I'm not switching it on again until I get it fully dried out. (Oh, and my passport was soaked, and the photo is ruined. If the woman in Zambia immigration had bothered to open the photo page, I would still be stuck in zambia. I'm supposed to take my wife to NZ on wed on long planned holiday - no passport!)

I'm assuming two potential risks:
* I shorted out an integrated circuit already, and i'm in for big $$$$.
* Water will remain trapped inside and will lead to corrosion

Goes without saying:
* All my own stupidity.
* The experience of the falls is amazing.

Experience & advice? I'm on my way home and want to act quickly. Sending it away will mean delay - can I dismantle anything to let it dry more quickly?