Hi, I am going to NZ in 2 months, and would like to set myself up properly, predominantly for landscape photos.
I have a 600D with a kit 18-55 on it for landscapes (55-250 kit for zoom) that the better half will most likely be using, while I have a 50D that I am looking at getting a lens for wider use than the 50 f1.8 that lives on it normally.
Initially I had wanted a lens that offered a range of options, like the Canon 28-135, which I could use as a general walk around lens.
However, I have been reading all the threads on NZ and landscape photography in general, and am re-thinking this idea, but to be honest, am overwhelmed by the amount of options and information.
I am on a budget of ideally less than $500 for both lens and CPL, but given that I want a B+W CPL, it will probably creep up a little. I am also interested in a 3-stop ND filter, if I can find the cash, as I am sick of blown out sky situations.

I have narrowed it down to the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 ($424) and the Tokina 12-24 f4 ($434) if I wanted to go down the road of the wider angle lenses. I still have this nagging worry about making the mountains 'look small' with the wide angles, is this really a valid concern? I have tried panoramas, and think I just need to practice at them, until recently i had been struggling to get them 'even', however learning to take off the CPL and use manual modes and fixed metering hopefully will fix this.

I really wanted to Canon 28-135 for the range of options, but know that on a crop sensor the 28 will probably be a bit narrow for fitting in those giant NZ mountain scapes. I have even been frustrated by the closeness that the 18mm option gives on the crop sensor sometimes. The chance I will upgrade to a FF is probably quite small in the next 5yrs at least, however I am aware of the benefit of buying FF lenses from the start, bit like buying larger filters.

Can't have it all in one package on a budget I suppose hey.

I would really appreciate thoughts and opinions.
Cheers Craig