User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: New 650D or used 5d MkII?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 650D or used 5d MkII?

My camera body (1000D) is broken. I took it in to be looked at and the estimated cost is $300. It still works, but it will no longer auto-focus.

So I need a new camera body but I am feeling really confused. I was hoping to look at a new body in about 12months when my photography had improved enough to justify something better.

I am thinking 600D would be the best thing for me - $514 (plus postage). However someone in the local area has advertised a second hand 5DMII for $1200.

I am not sure whether a bit more of an investment would mean owning a camera that I would be happy with for a few more years (I am not the type to want to constantly upgrade equipment, I am not trying to be a pro, I just want to enjoy the craft and have a camera body that gives me lots of options). A few years from now I would like to dabble in sports photography. but mostly I just like doing a bit of this and a bit of that.

If I go with the more conversative 600D, I am imagining that at some stage in a year or so I will feel its limitations and want a better body. If I were to go with the 5D then I imagine it would last me for several years more.

Could I get some advice in this regard?

ETA:
    I am doing some comparisons on dpreview, but It am struggling to grasp which is even better! Possibly a sure sign that I should just opt for the 600D (or the 650D?) and return to this question in another year!
    Last edited by alsocass; 28-02-2013 at 10:54pm.
    Cass
    I switched my camera off auto in November 2012, and I have been busy reading and learning and practicing ever since.
    My kit is basic: Canon 1000D (two kit lenses) + 50mm f/1.8 + a tripod/monopod + Lightroom4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you with the dearer 5D MkII you will have to buy new lenses as well

From your signature you have 2 kit lenses, so guessing the EF-s 18-55 and the EF-s 55-200, neither will fit the 5D, won't even mount to it. However they will fit the 600/650D
    Your 50mm will fit the 5D

So you need to factor that into any purchase price
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My next camera would be the 650D, it looks to be a significant upgrade from my 1100D, and affordable. The 5Dmark2 would be a wonderful thing to own, but you would want a low shot count example.
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing that the Canon 650D is what we Nikon users call a 'DX' DSLR and the used 5DMII is a full frame camera?

So, the choices are:

1. Repair your existing 'DX' camera for $300,
    2. Buy a new entry level 'DX' for $514+, and use your existing lenses or,
    3. Buy a used FF for $1200, and factor in some new lenses.

Given that you wish to continue to learn, I'd choose to repair what I had or opt for the 650D as it's a relatively similar price point. If you buy the 650D you get a camera that will use your existing lenses and has 'newer' technology (if that is important to you) at a cost of $200 approx, more. Then, if you feel that you will want a FF camera in the future, make your lens purchases FF lenses so that you can use them on a FF.

As an example. Because I have a Nikon V1 (a mirrorless camera), I bought a couple of full frame (FX) lenses to use with it via an adaptor. Now I have the Nikon equivalent of your Canon 650D and I can use those FX lenses on my camera and get good results. The reverse situation will not provide good results - that is using DX lenses on a FF camera. If I bought a FF Nikon body, I can still use my FX lenses. My one kit lens (unused thus far) would be useless on a FF down the track.

Your $$ invested in lenses will last a lifetime. Camera bodies are going to change all of the time - good advice given to me by a friend.

Good luck with your decision making, cheers Deb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your into sports you can get 7D's now for $901 free postage
    Last edited by rookie; 01-03-2013 at 5:26am.
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the 7D. It would nearly be cheaper to buy a new 1100D body than repair the old camera.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay Cass, try this link. You can use your existing lenses with this body.

I would look at a APS-C body over the FF at this stage, for a couple of reasons.

1. The extra cost for lenses - you only have the 50mm if you go FF
    2. Get a new FF when you can afford it, there's nothing wrong with the 5DMK11, but what's it's history, what problems could you be buying, and all the other nasties that can come with second hand goods. In saying that though, you could get a ripper of a FF camera as well, your choice with Second Hand goods.
    3. The Grey market has massive savings on the 7D, not that long ago, these where over $2500.00 new in Oz, they are a fantastic body, and will benefit you with the more advanced features. They have brought out the 6D FF to fill the market, if the 7D was FF with all the features it has, you'd probably have one of the best selling cameras out there.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you mentioned sports, I would go 7d also.
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, it is a very difficult decision. The 7D has a much fast fps, but it would require investing in CF cards. I just realised that my LP-E5 batteries won't fit either. I don't have much equipment but I don't like seeing the investment become useless... Is this typical when upgrading camera bodies? It really adds to the cost of the upgrade.

I still want to upgrade, if only because I am also interested in a body with video capability (purely as a mother with kids). However I am more certain that I want to get the right body that will last me for a long time... how long does a camera body last?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batteries aren't always different for different models. You get one with your camera anyway, and a charger. The 7D would be a very tempting offer if I was in your shoes. It's a bigger lump of a camera than what you've got. Cameras bodies last as long as you want them to, I'd suggest. Most people would upgrade before the camera becomes unusable.

DSLR's are never going to be like good film SLR's though (things of beauty and longevity). Even the expensive ones eventually end up being uneconomical to repair when they inevitable blow a shutter. The cost of replacing a shutter is more than the price of that 600D you mentioned. DSLR's are "disposable" like most consumer electronics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's a curve ball

dump the broken camera..and buy a nikon D7000 for $ 793 from DWI ..its equal and betters the 7D in many ways and is a lot better at High ISO..a 7d is around $1300 from DWI...

Nikon Kit DX lenses are cheap as chips in the used market and a new Nikon 50 1.8 is $114 !! ...I think even new the Nikon DX leneses to match your current line up would only be around $350...{ 50 mm $114..18-55 $104 and the 55200 $130

so all up a D7000 with all new lenses to match your own would cost $1100 ..$200 cheaper than the 7D for body only !!!.....

check out the DXO mark score for both bodies..

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...(brand2)/Canon

also if you ever do go a FF camera such as the D600 or D800..the DX lenses will still fit...unlike the EFS lenses on a FF canon DSLR
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    here's a curve ball

dump the broken camera..and buy a nikon D7000 for $ 793 from DWI ..its equal and betters the 7D in many ways and is a lot better at High ISO..a 7d is around $1300 from DWI...

Nikon Kit DX lenses are cheap as chips in the used market and a new Nikon 50 1.8 is $114 !! ...I think even new the Nikon DX leneses to match your current line up would only be around $350...{ 50 mm $114..18-55 $104 and the 55200 $130

so all up a D7000 with all new lenses to match your own would cost $1100 ..$200 cheaper than the 7D for body only !!!.....

also if you ever do go a FF camera such as the D600 or D800..the DX lenses will still fit...unlike the EFS lenses on a FF canon DSLR
    Ha! You nikon folk don't read very well, do you?

7D Body - $859 at eGlobal http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...r-cameras.html

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cass, My mates got the 7D, he purchased extra batteries from Battery World or the like, They work fine, are 1/4 of the price, but the camera won't register them on the LCD, so you just need to make sure they're charged before you head out, or buy genuine at well over twice the price.

CF cards aren't that expensive, check Cheap Chips out. This will also give you HD Movie recording as well. Another bonus IMO.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    here's a curve ball

+1 for don't read very well.
    DWI D7000 + 50 1.8 = 1007. 7D $914 ?+ shipping if not in the metropolitan area. And she already has the 50 1.8 lens and 2 kit lenses to use.
    E Global D7000 + 50 1.8 = $1009 Including shipping. 7D $918 shipped.
    Also the 5Dii uses CF cards too.
    Last edited by Speedway; 02-03-2013 at 12:27pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cass if you prepaird to pay up to 1200$ for a cam I would also go the 7D route!
    I personally get one latest end of the year! From what i read or heard it is a very good camera and I tried it ones in a shop and I really loved it!
    so for me the choice would be the 7 D!
    Cheers Klaus!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice. Much food for thought. I am leaning toward the 7D as I am confident that I would keep hold of that body for quite a while and just focus on better lenses (as opposed to buying the 650 and then wanting to upgrade in a couple of years).

It is all assuming that I keep working hard at improving my skills. I really wasn't read to have this conversation for at least another 12months! BUT I don't want to throw money away now on a body that I will be itching to replace in 12months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry I missed that a DWi..I only looked at the front page and it said 7d from $1287..so I took that to be the lowest price they were offering..sorry for my mistake

isn't the 7d due to a replacement soon ?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    ....... If I bought a FF Nikon body, I can still use my FX lenses. My one kit lens (unused thus far) would be useless on a FF down the track.[/COLOR]

Not necessarily!

The difference between Nikon DLSRs and Canon DSLRs is that you can still mount the Dx lenses on a Nikon full frame body, and all you need to do is to set the fullframe camera into Dx Crop mode .. or alternatively just crop the image later in PP.

Canon EF-S lens have a shorter backfocus distance compared to Canon EF(full frame) cameras, so technically will not mount .. or at least not focus to infinity.
    EF-S mount lenses have a mechanical intrusion so as to not allow the lens to mount onto the full frame body, but can be manipulated to mount .. if you dare.
    Common wisdom is not to mount EF-S lenses onto EF bodies tho.

FWIW: I use some of my Dx lenses on the D800 regularly, both in crop mode and in Fx mode(and crop later on the PC).

The problem that the OP has is that they're dealing with Canon kit lenses not mounting to a full frame Canon DSLR.

If you are serious about eventually upgrading, then there really is only one option! The 5D, and learn to use the 50mm for as long as it takes to acquire more lenses!

I'm sure there must be some old usable zoom lens that could be had cheaply, even if it's manual focus, just to get you through for certain applications on a full frame camera .. at least until you can then justify a proper lens for those uses later on.

If I were to recommend a wholesale change to Nikon, then the only option for a decently low price would be the new D7100. As fast, or faster than the 7D and a few more megapickles to boot.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N