User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Lens filters ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens filters ?

Hi all . I've bought a few lens filters before, pretty much simply for protection, and bought just a UV filter in hoya brand with no problems at all .

My question is are all filters for the purpose of protection much of a muchness or is there brands to steer clear of or brands that are obviously better than others ?

Thanks ,

Jason.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has been raised many times before and the short answer is - yes, quality varies a lot between brands. When I first started out in photography, not that long ago, I was talked into buying UV filters for protection. For a time I struggled with sharpness at times and worked through a number of threads trying to id the issue. Turns out it was the UV filter I was using, I removed the filter and pop.
    The other thing to consider is how much protection does a filter provide and for me they are a waste of money, I simple rely on my lens hood as protection and there is evidence that a filter on impact can infact cause more damage to the front element. Everyone to there own but search the forum and the web for stories and tests around this topic and then see how you feel. I did have a kit once that I bought a hood for and it was cheaper than a quality filter.
    There is also exceptions I suppose like photography where dust or dirt may be flicked up towards the lens such as photographing rally driving and maybe to seal a lens if taking to the beach neither of which I do.

Having said all this, it is a personal preference and do what makes you fell comfortable to take your camera out and about - if you are going to be distracted by worrying about scratching your lens and work prefer to have a filter on, buy a descent filter and go with it.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look at this thread http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...hlight=filters once I removed the UV filter, my photos became sharp, and clear. IMO, dont waste your money on them, lens hoods are definately the go though!
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys much appreciated . I think I'll give the filter a miss and just go the hood .