Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Picking the better place to do Newborn shoot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking the better place to do Newborn shoot

Hi Everyone

Ok I going to have my first go at doing some newborn photo of my second child when it arrives, as it has been wet all day I took a couple of photo's. As I have taken a photo using no flash and one using the flash at it's lower setting with a tissue over it to try and soften it more (if I can not use the I would be really happy as I do not like bright light for bubs eyes). As I have a Nikon D3100 with a 50mm and 200mm lens (kit lens as I still learning), I looking at making some of my own reflectors to help with the natural light. As i think the photo's on our day bed give a better natural light look but just getting a second a opinion on it. As I do not own any lightening equipment or soft boxes (would love to get some as I get more experience with my camera.) But an other hints would be great on what I can do to help with the shoot. None of the photo's have been edited they are straight out of the camera

1) No Flash (Inside)

DSC_1419.jpg

2) Flash Used (Inside)

DSC_1421.jpg

3) Flash used (on Day Bed)

DSC_1425.jpg

4) Flash no used ( On day Bed)

DSC_1428.jpg

As I have also made some backdrops to use and got a couple of big fluffy pillows and kids bean bags to help out with the shoot.

Thanks every much I haven't taking many photos lately as I have been so busy with work but really looking forward to taking some photo's again, when the rain stop and have a clear day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tricky stuff newborn shoots, after checking around I used the following-natural light, get as close to the window/light source as you can, make sure the room is warm-32 is ideal as it mimmicks your womb and will stop uneven skin tones and stop the bay being cold, make sure they are well fed and sleepy as this will help with posing, if you have a smart phone get one of the baby sleep apps, this will help keep them settled, try to avoid bright colours-stick with earthy and neutral tones, you will have about 90 mins to do it before they get too unsettled, best time to do the pics is when they are between 7 and 11 days old, still nice and drowsy-all they do is eat and sleep. I would use the 50mm opened right up, take some at a smaller aperture as well just to cover yourself. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also the flash does not hurt a baby's eyes, so feel free to use it, without any tissues etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cris and Rick for the feedback