User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: March Photo of the Week Competitions "The Sensor Series" and a TWIST

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

March Photo of the Week Competitions "The Sensor Series" and a TWIST

As previously announced, the next mini series for our Photo of the Week competitions is "The Sensor Series". The themes for the upcoming photo of the week competitions are:

The Sensor series
    Sun 3rd Mar - Red
    Sun 10th Mar - Green
    Sun 17th Mar - Blue
    Sun 24th Mar -Monochrome

Now to throw a twist your way. We are going to put the different experience levels up against each other.

On Sunday 3rd March, the intermediate and advanced members will have one single combined competition, whilst the beginners will have their own separate competition

On Sunday 10th March
    , the beginner and intermediate members will have one single combined competition, whilst the advanced members will have their own separate competition

On Sunday 17th March, we will really put the cat amongst the pigeons, when the beginner and advanced members will have a single combined competition, and the intermediate members will have their own separate competition.

So treat this TWIST as a challenge to work hard to get a great entry, and perhaps beat those members on a higher level with your entry.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And now the extra TWIST - PRIZES

For the competition starting Sunday March 4th, the intermediate member who makes it to the final against the advanced members, and scores the highest votes of any intermediate member in the final voting poll will win a Lexar USB JumpDrive FireFly - 16GB. If no intermediate member makes the final poll, the highest voting intermediate entry in the first round poll will be the winner of the USB drive

For the competition starting Sunday 10th March, the winner of the Advanced competition will win a Lexar USB JumpDrive FireFly - 16GB.

For the competition starting Sunday 17th March the beginner member who makes it to the final against the advanced members, and scores the highest votes of any beginner members in the final voting poll will win a Lexar USB JumpDrive FireFly - 16GB. If no beginner member makes the final poll, the highest voting beginner entry in the first round poll will be the winner of the USB drive.
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-02-2013 at 7:29pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not usually motivated by the prize, but I have to say Rick, that you are upping the ante here

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    I'm not usually motivated by the prize, but I have to say Rick, that you are upping the ante here
    We thought offering these cross-level comps and also bringing some prizes into the mix might just encourage a few members to push their photographic limits and work at taking the best photo they ever have, for this series of competitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this idea. I can't wait to see it. I am always wondering how the intermediate members would fair against the advanced members. Great idea!
    Cass
    I switched my camera off auto in November 2012, and I have been busy reading and learning and practicing ever since.
    My kit is basic: Canon 1000D (two kit lenses) + 50mm f/1.8 + a tripod/monopod + Lightroom4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say, Rick and mods, back in "my" day, I was against inter-level comps ( ), but the way you've organised the prizes for the beginner and intermediate groups definitely meets with my approval!
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 40D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 ~ Tamron AF 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ~ Photoshop CS5 ~ Lightroom 3

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And here are the prizes. Sitting at my place ready to be given away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just bumping this to remind you that the Theme for the competition starting this evening is GREEN. With advanced level photographers up to win a Lexar USB Drive.

Also the RED competition goes to voting tonight, and the highest vote getter from the Intermediate level will win one as well. So support your fellow AP members and cast your votes after 8.30pm AEDT tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea and helps motivate you to try just that bit harder against higher degrees of ability :-) Thanks, Rick
    D7000, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 105mm Macro, Sigma 150-500mm
    CC always welcome
    "Be satisfied with your life, and you'll put yourself in the optimum position to make it even better"
    Cheryl

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it motivates more people to take that little bit of time and vote in the comps. Once you get the hang of it, doesn't take that long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know Some of the beginners ones are just as good as advances and intermediates combined
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe these monthly series are a fantastic idea, however, I'm not sure we've arrived at the majority of people shooting a photo specifically for the comp, which would be a really good outcome

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    I believe these monthly series are a fantastic idea, however, I'm not sure we've arrived at the majority of people shooting a photo specifically for the comp, which would be a really good outcome
    Is that in the T&C's? How do you know?
    I have an idea for green that I'd like to try to get the time to capture for next weeks comp. If I don't get the chance to do that and also have a previous image that the comp theme has reminded my of .... is it better to have more or less comp entries?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Is that in the T&C's? How do you know?
    I have an idea for green that I'd like to try to get the time to capture for next weeks comp. If I don't get the chance to do that and also have a previous image that the comp theme has reminded my of .... is it better to have more or less comp entries?
    I'm sure I read, way back when, that one of the objectives was to try and encourage people to shoot a photo for the comp, rather than pulling one out of an archive. I doubt that this is a T and C, more of a hope I too, have an idea for the Green and I hope to shoot it, if I don't have the chance, then I won't be entering because I don't had an archive of images to fall back on, and even if I did, it's not in the spirit of a weekly comp to do so, IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure that it would be preferred that it would encourage everyone to go out and take a pics especially for the theme but that is not always possible e.g. weather, work, family etc.
    Personally I work 60+ hours a week and have 1 morning a week for photo's that's if the weather is kind and nothing else is planned.
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far with this new theme idea for the weeklys , I have specifically taken shots with the comps in mind , If not lately I've taken shots that are no more than a week old and fit the comp theme, Then again I shoot at least 50 shots a day Mon-Fri , Have'nt even gone to the External hard drive to get an image I like the idea
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters