User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: whats wrong with me Arhh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve, Judging from the comments thus far it seems that everyone goes through this, I hit a wall about a month ago where I was finding other things to do than taking shots and spending time in front of a computer. So I had to reflect on that for a while and I came up with a few thoughts that maybe we can identify with.

1) If you are shooting photos for a living and you get a good variety of shoots, people, products, web, real-estate, tourism, fashion, sporting events etc you may get a little jaded but the cycle turns around quickly when you get that next wow shot.

2) If you are taking photos because you want to further your knowledge and have a hobby/aspiration to make a few bucks along the way but not doing it for a living then you are the most vulnerable because you run out of ideas, you start to doubt your real worth and realise that making a living from taking photos is the same as most other businesses you have to work really hard for modest gains. The cycle starts to feel repetitive and as you get better at taking photos and seeing what is / is not going to make a good photo you become a little more choosy about what you take photos of and you get jaded fairly quickly. I feel at my best when I'm being engaged to do a shoot, as this does not happen that often because I am gainfully employed in another area I often feel the cycle of not today I can't be bothered taking a photo because I just don't feel for it right now. I have also learned that this is fairly normal and if it goes on for to long I go out and take some shots at the speedway with a friend of mine. If not the speedway then something else that I have not done before. Examples are playing with perspectives (man stepping on building), speed photography with a water balloon and just your own reflexes to fire the flash. Some product photography like a booze bottle, and trying to set up a photo that tells a story. The more mentally challenging it is to set up the photo the more satisfaction you get and the faster you move your cycle.

3) Enthusiasts who take photos to suite themselves, people who have a particular interest for example macros, birds, landscapes. Some just love to take photos of what they see and frequently have a camera at the ready or at least at short distance. These are the people who are generally well organised and passionate about their photo taking and don't really care what others think. They strive to get better for their own enjoyment and not driven by others perceptions. They too go through this cycle but really quickly.

The bottom line I think is we all go through these stages and we emerge being enthused and always learning and adapting technology to better our craft. It has been very interesting to see just how many people on this forum go through the same thing, and I'm sure it is a reflection of the wider population.

Kind Regards
    Livio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that I go through periods like this where I generally just take a break and focus on something different for a while, whether that be a sport or another hobby. I used to quite enjoy sitting down at the computer and doing some post processing - however not so much lately. I'm in the process of downsizing my gear - after honestly evaluating what I like to shoot - I've realised that I don't really need the ultra fast AF of a DSLR -as I am much more of a slow and deliberate shooter these days. I also don't appreciate the extra weight with me when I travel. Also, while it's great to have a whole bunch of different awesome lenses to choose from - I often found this got in the way of my enjoyment - I would stress about which lenses I was going to take on my trip of out for the day. Once at my destination I would fret about which focal length to use.

So I'm selling my DSLR system and making do with the Fuji X100S. Small, one focal length - something I'm much more likely to take everywhere with me.

I'll also keep my medium format film stuff and lights for when I'd still like to do some studio portraits and landscapes. Ive been shooting a bit of medium format film stuff recently- which has a been a refreshing change. While it doesn't release you from the task of PP'ing (scanning colour film correctly is even harder and more time consuming than PP'ing digital files), it does slow you down and provide a different way of doing things.

To completely avoid PP I even got a polaroid back and have been adorning my fridge with some of my favourite shots - instant results without the computer
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's been loads of ideas already mentioned. essentially, you need to create a project...a series of shots with a similar story.
    your job isn't only to press the shutter. build your photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    How to the latter ?

- - - Updated - - -

How to the latter ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being an old(ish) fart I've been going through this on and off for nearly 40 years. I change hobbies from time to time but the one I keep coming back to is photography.
    Graham.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to fish on days ending in "Y". Work(business),familly etc got in the way and after 18 months of non use I sold my boat. I had the boat for 12 years putting all the components together from the hull,motor,trailer and all the bits so it was a joy to "build" Now I have retired I want my boat back!!!! I never sell anything anymore and the cost to do the boat again would be about $80 grand. I have been obsessed with renovating a house for my son over the past 6 months so photography and even getting on the net has been put on the back burner. It is just a phase that we go through and priorities change throughout our life. If photography is not your job, put it away for a couple of months, don't do anything associated with it so you have a complete break. Take up gardening,walking,surfing etc and rekindle your enthusiasim. It won't be long before you want to take a few shots again. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    I understand that point Redback...I too have basically left my gear at home if the occasion called for "non serious" photography..and left that to the PS crowd...but last night I took some advice from this thread....it was a birthday for my 18 year old niece and father in law combined ..shot in Basic Jpeg..the images wont see the light of day here on AP..but it was nice just getting the camera out and taking photos..I doubt any will see a iota of PP..but my wife no doubt will love them.....the family were amazed I didn't need a flash in such low light...LOL

perhaps on a path back to enjoying just taking photos and not worrying if they are prize winners .

some great advice here...Ionica I think your right...not to force the issue..but rather let it emerge when your ready...its hard sometimes thinking that all the gear is going to waste..and the dollar value could be used elsewhere in your life..

yes Deb..its been very very hot here and that has stopped me a bit ...but the morning and evening are not too bad
    Don't worry about prize winners. What's the most important thing about photography? Recording event's, keeping memories etc. If a photograph is not that sharp, blurry not composed correctly who cares as long as it invokes a reaction. Until you get your passion back to creating the prize winners just be happy with the fun and happy snaps. Did you have fun taking those pictures?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes mate ...I did
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 05-03-2013 at 9:36pm.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Tommo, if all this doesn't help, go to the doctor and say "Ahrr".
    A(rrh)m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the cross-hair now,weather its subject matter or location just can't fire

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO

thats brought a smile to me dial

Ahrr

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    And Tommo, if all this doesn't help, go to the doctor and say "Ahrr".
    A(rrh)m.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123