User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ken Rockwell said.......D600/800/4 all the same inside....

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifor View Post
    I met him yesterday in Brisbane, a great bloke.. his channel that focuses more on technique and how to shoot well has been very helpful and interesting.
    I think you could say the same for many of the excellent photographers from this forum. The one's that I have met are probably just as good, if not better, but they don't get the kudos as they don't have websites that attract the attention and therefore the publicity and limelight. KR is a self promoter and that is what he is really good at, like so many other people that are self promoters, their work maybe great, but there are many that are better, just that they are not as good at self promotion, assumimg that they want the limelight to start with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    NO!! He is much worse because people quote him as a reliable source, and he is not.

I just edited out all KR references used on a Wikipedia page to justify some points about photography,
    then posted the link from above of the talk page of the article to explain my actions.

KR is very dangerous to the uninformed.
    Kym, I was referring to KR not Matt Granger. yes I agree with most that he has OS companies on his site but when you look under his video's he makes he has links to Australia & OS retailers and quite often a link to where a person can purchase the item being reviewed.

I have to be biased with Matt Granger, his video's have helped me (I am not much for reading) and even the occasional email. Having said that, that is my own personal opion as someone may actually Like KR
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moron or not here is his net worth:

estimated worth,
    $ 2,188,417

WOW Score for kenrockwell.com : 4.92 out of 5

98 / 100 WOW Score

Daily Visits: 147,082
    Daily Pageviews: 676,577
    Daily Revenue: $ 1,015

Monthly Visits: 4,412,457
    Monthly Pageviews: 20,297,302
    Monthly Revenue: $ 30,450

Yearly Visits: 52,949,482
    Yearly Pageviews: 243,567,619
    Annual Earnings: $ 365,400

Guess he's probably sitting back in his mansion laughing at us, laughing at him
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post

Guess he's probably sitting back in his mansion laughing at us, laughing at him
    Thinking of new ways to cause controversy to start the chatter cycle all over again!

Revenue drops below the 30,450 threshold and the stupidity begins again ... we all end unwittingly performing the role of his PR machine/advertising agency.

I've been thinking for a while now that I should switch to jpg, triple overcook the saturation and contrast on all Picture Controls ... long before KR ever went down this road.

Oh! and did I ever tell 'yas all that Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Leica, Hasslblad, et al .. have all colluded to manufacture just the one camera ..... that has been slightly remodelled by each manufacturer into various models within their ranges for their respective marketing purposes.

Who'd have thought it .. a Nikon D3200 is basically the same camera as the 1DX(with a few extra squares mimicking as focus areas, which is the same camera as the Leica M9 with a much reduced AF system .. which is the same camera as Hassy's H4D-60 .. which is basically a pumped up Fuji X100 with a kit lens!

All made by the same factory in China and rebadged as various models by each manufacturer!
    Last edited by arthurking83; 05-03-2013 at 1:41am.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that when I naively suggested Matt Grainger (aka ThatNikonGuy) I didn't intend a comparison between him and KR, as I believe they are worlds apart. Matt has recently published a video explaining the genesis of his name and yes, he shoots other brands and reviews anything - he's a fanboy of gear, not necessarily Nikon I stumbled across his YouTube channel about 12 months ago and liked how he went about presenting an opinion on gear. I feel he's pretty honest in his appraisal of stuff and doesn't try and push people in one direction or the other.

What really hooked me was a 12hr SpreeCast he did which included Delly Carr and Jasin Boland, 2 Nikon Ambassadors talking about their work and interacting with the audience via video and text - I lost a considerable amount of time that day, it was so inspiring. And that's the main thing that I like about Matt, he's got a YouTube channel, a Flickr community and a monthly competition that he videos the judging for - some great images and commentary and it's free. If people want to click and buy him a beer, that's their choice. He puts out far more than KR will ever do, cheers Deb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    I have to say that when I naively suggested Matt Grainger (aka ThatNikonGuy) I didn't intend a comparison between him and KR, as I believe they are worlds apart. Matt has recently published a video explaining the genesis of his name and yes, he shoots other brands and reviews anything - he's a fanboy of gear, not necessarily Nikon I stumbled across his YouTube channel about 12 months ago and liked how he went about presenting an opinion on gear. I feel he's pretty honest in his appraisal of stuff and doesn't try and push people in one direction or the other.

What really hooked me was a 12hr SpreeCast he did which included Delly Carr and Jasin Boland, 2 Nikon Ambassadors talking about their work and interacting with the audience via video and text - I lost a considerable amount of time that day, it was so inspiring. And that's the main thing that I like about Matt, he's got a YouTube channel, a Flickr community and a monthly competition that he videos the judging for - some great images and commentary and it's free. If people want to click and buy him a beer, that's their choice. He puts out far more than KR will ever do, cheers Deb
    Hi Deb, couldnt have said it better.. liking what he does, that 12 hour spreecast was great. I tend to RSVP all of them because the people who do come on may have something good to feedback as a tip etc. Yes indeed, he does all that and more, probably does a 16 hour day everyday to be comfortable and yet KR (figures above), sits back and lets curiosity of people make the money for him by reading his rambles.

Having said that Im going to check to see if my D7000 shoots medium format that I am very sure I saw on his page.. imaging a small bodies camera like that shooting medium format

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SEO (search engine optimisation) on Ken's site is outstanding (at least in Google as I see it)...
    Last edited by fillum; 05-03-2013 at 2:01pm.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my initials are KR..backwards..RK..maybe I can create a mirror site, in his style and make my fortune. Did you know the iPhone 6 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 are both going to be the same on the inside? And Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott really are one person. Julia is Tony's drag queen alter ego...buy stuff from my site, make me rich.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of a snip and rearrange ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Did you know Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott are the same on the inside?
    And the inside consists of?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    A bit of a snip and rearrange ----

Slugs and snails: And puppy-dogs' tails,

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought thats what Ausphotography was ?
    ...with a little bit of fiction in here as well. mmm it is close to a mirror !

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    my initials are KR..backwards..RK..maybe I can create a mirror site, in his style and make my fortune. Did you know the iPhone 6 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 are both going to be the same on the inside? And Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott really are one person. Julia is Tony's drag queen alter ego...buy stuff from my site, make me rich.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbnutz View Post
    I thought thats what Ausphotography was ?
    ...with a little bit of fiction in here as well. mmm it is close to a mirror !

Hmmm : KR AP : nup.. that cannot be right

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post

I'm expecting variable pixel sensor technology with the manufacturers dumbing down the numbers to suit a marketing strategy based on which model is top dog at the time!

The internal processing will look something like:

Code:
    If Abbott #1 > then enter 1 Mp mode > end if.
    If Gillard #1 > then enter 0.5Mp mode > end if.
    If Abbott and Gillard = #1 > then enter 5Kp mode > enter : endless loop mode
    Then : end if because end is nigh.
    If if ended (already) : and : irrespective of #1 > limit transfer of data from CPU into storage = 1 bit per second mode.
    Yep! I need to do a refresher course on writing code

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'm expecting variable pixel sensor technology with the manufacturers dumbing down the numbers to suit a marketing strategy based on which model is top dog at the time!

The internal processing will look something like:

Code:
    If Abbott #1 > then enter 1 Mp mode > end if.
    If Gillard #1 > then enter 0.5Mp mode > end if.
    If Abbott and Gillard = #1 > then enter 5Kp mode > enter : endless loop mode
    Then : end if because end is nigh.
    If if ended (already) : and : irrespective of #1 > limit transfer of data from CPU into storage = 1 bit per second mode.
    Yep! I need to do a refresher course on writing code
    You forgot.. tracert>/ also

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of adding Ballieu into the mix too .. but it seems I'm a bit too late now anyhow!

..... mind you had I, he'd probably have got the cops onto me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    I can see his point as well Arthur...but I doubt he would have been as successful if he wasn't at first called the Nikon Guy.. I've no doubt that the channel has opened up new opportunities for him and he see brand diversification as the way forward..and of course that "Nikon Guy" title is a bit limiting
    Of topic.. Matt may be called That Nikon Guy.. but to me the person who should be called THE Nikon Guy is Jasin Boland.. lives & breaths Nikon as well as being the best in his field.. Check out his website if you havent already, he has got to have nearly every lens made and is a Nikon Ambassador, something you have to earn.

So My Nikon F5 can go cropped now and soon will be updated to have a sesnor in it Ken?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see what the fuss is about. It's common practice for manufacturers to design products that are essentially alike and disabled/enable functionality at a circuit level to accommodate a market segment. The economies of scale that are gained by doing things in this way enables us to enjoy new toys that would otherwise cost much, much more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously don't get why this guys website is popular? There are so many other photography sites out there. Surely noobs are drawn to prettier websites etc? KR is a joke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzz1e View Post
    I seriously don't get why this guys website is popular? There are so many other photography sites out there. Surely noobs are drawn to prettier websites etc? KR is a joke
    I think alot of people are drawn to the KR site out of plain curiosity.. as in "what rubbish will he post this time" etc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123