Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: Just got a Dell U2713H monitor

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a Dell U2713H monitor

In a word, WOW! This is a superb monitor! Resolution is fantastic making real use of the high resolution from my D800E, whereas my old minitor, a Dell Ultrasharp 2209W and as good as it was, seemed to struggle to show the extra res offered by the D800 and other modern high res bodies. Colours are accurate, vivid and clear. Happy as a pig in the proverbial. Highly recommended screen!!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, lots of people seem to think they are the bees knees at the moment.

At that size in the wide screen format they are finally starting to exceed the vertical viewing area of my ancient monitor.
    I must be an odd one out as I prefer having a screen with more height and less width for editing vertically oriented images in particular.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Sounds good, lots of people seem to think they are the bees knees at the moment.

At that size in the wide screen format they are finally starting to exceed the vertical viewing area of my ancient monitor.
    I must be an odd one out as I prefer having a screen with more height and less width for editing vertically oriented images in particular.
    Maybe you need to use two sceens side by side, one vertical the other horizontal.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Maybe you need to use two sceens side by side, one vertical the other horizontal.
    I can get more height again by revolving my present screen to a vertical axis but I'm hanged if I can get the mouse to go in the "right" directions.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good review on the screen for those interested. The only issue with this screen is that you must use the XRite i1 Display Pro screen calibrator, so my Spyder3 Pro is useless now. However, the screen is calibrated at factory and comes with a report card and therefore is actually excellent straight from the get go. I will have to get one of these calibrators just to make sure.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...713h.htm#intro

- - - Updated - - -

I can get more height again by revolving my present screen to a vertical axis but I'm hanged if I can get the mouse to go in the "right" directions.

You need to "retrain" your mouse. They say cheese helps.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun Be careful that you don't start to pixel peep too much though. I have had the Dell 30" for some time now and it took me a while to stop looking too closely and processing every little detail. I often step back now and view from a distance to stop myself getting carried away with the resolution offered by the monitor

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you are not ! Mongo tried everything to get a more balanced screen height to width over a year ago and became all but abusive at stores who only had the usual wide screen low height crap. There was simply no real choice offered by common manufacturers. Ended up buying the IMac. Mongo has had to compromise and on most really large screens (like Lance's), there is enough vertical space to do OK with portrait mode images. However, Mongo could still imagine a better ratio and use of screen pace if he were manufacturing screen - at least to have a choice of two ratio size screens.

Lance's idea of 2 screens works (mongo has 2) but takes up space and is more costly and you need to calibrate them together.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep hearing good things about these Dell monitors. One of these days I may just have to have a looksees at one!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This monitor has certainly got some good reviews, the only downer seems to be the luminosity uniformity, however I don't reckon this is a show stopper. You can also get a good deal thru dell online.

I am keen to see how this compares in real life to the HM model, whilst different application (sRGB vs full gamut) I do wonder about the price difference especially with the 30% off atm.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo could still imagine a better ratio and use of screen pace if he were manufacturing screen - at least to have a choice of two ratio size screens.
    Sounds like you need to get into the Mongo Monitors Inc. mindset.
    I will stick my hand up as a customer.

Presently, a vertically oriented image opened for editing in my preferred program displays on the 19" monitor at 285mm high.

Another 100mm would be ideal.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screens should be square so that you get the same pixels in either landscape or portrait mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Have fun Be careful that you don't start to pixel peep too much though. I have had the Dell 30" for some time now and it took me a while to stop looking too closely and processing every little detail. I often step back now and view from a distance to stop myself getting carried away with the resolution offered by the monitor
    yep, good advice, thats the first thing I noticed when upgrading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there I'm wanting to get this as I do hdr photography and use cs6 and lightroom will this be great for this. Also I have a spyder 4 so it's no good to calibrate it?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo666 View Post
    Hi there I'm wanting to get this as I do hdr photography and use cs6 and lightroom will this be great for this. Also I have a spyder 4 so it's no good to calibrate it?
    No, this screen is set so that you can only calibrate it using an Xrite i1. It is a great screen, but that limitation is a stupid move by Dell (IMO)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo666 View Post
    As Rick states, the Xrite i1 is the correct calibrator for this screen, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am dithering on a new set-up, the delay being the monitor. Thought I would have a look here to see if there are reviews as I have selected two for further enquiry.
    The Dell U2713 and the Samsung 27A850D.
    This thread is great but I too have recently invested in a spyder 4.
    I am off to read Lance's link in case it is one I have not read yet and maybe I will start a new thread as well but anyone reading this have any experience with the Samsung? ....john

- - - Updated - - -

Woa up there. Thanks for the link Lance, Computer Parts Land have the Dell U2713MH and I did not realise the U2713H was not the same unit until your link.
    Might have to wait until next week to do some phoning around as the 2713H does not figure prominently in Aus that I can find....john
    “Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Hector Berlioz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Software calibrating the U2713H

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    No, this screen is set so that you can only calibrate it using an Xrite i1. It is a great screen, but that limitation is a stupid move by Dell (IMO)
    I think that you need the Xrite to calibrate the hardware but can still use a Spyder 4 to make a software profile that corrects the hardware one. My U2713H came very badly calibrated despite the factory certificate to the contrary and I had to use the Spyder to recalibrate it.
    Last edited by Colinl2; 10-01-2014 at 10:11am.