Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D7100

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D7100

The new flagship of Nikon's DX-format HD-SLR lineup. Achieve a thrilling new level of image quality and sharpness thanks to a specially designed 24.1-MP DX-format CMOS sensor. Enjoy speed, precision and convenience at every step, from shooting up to 6 fps to instantly sharing your shots with the optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter. Create dazzling Full HD 1080p videos and ultra-smooth slow-motion or time-lapse sequences. Unleash the power of Nikon's nimble DX-format system.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...513/D7100.html

----
    Personally it just looks like a D5200 to me.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnouts View Post
    Personally it just looks like a D5200 to me.
    Man, do you need to get your eyes checked or what!!!

Ignoring the totally different outwards appearances between the D5200 and D7000/7100 bodies. The improvements over the D7000 all appear to be quite positive steps.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, it looks like the best birding camera to me...
    Any idea of its price in OZ ?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! looks like a D5200 in what sense?..... specs?

Looks like a D7000 to me, which means that it also looks like a D600ish styled camera. If the D5200 looks anything like that, then this is by coincidence.

Specs are a different ballgame tho, and just because you see 24Mp in the tech specs, a good look at the focusing system reveals performance more like the D800/D4, than a D5200.
    Besides the lack of an AA filter is going to make a significant enough impact on overall IQ to differentiate it from the D5200.

So like Andrew, I'm finding it hard to see it from this sort of perspective(that it looks like a D5200) too.

If you have ever used a DSLR in anger then you know that the number of pixels it possesses is only 1/8th of the total story .. AF makes up the other 3/4s!!
    (btw, hardware buttons make up the other 1/8th)

A side issue with this new revelation(which has been predicted for some time now), is where does any prospective D400 fit in?
    There's barely any wiggle room for a D400, and surely the D300s has to be killed off now, as it really is a dinosaur by comparison.

The only reason you would have chosen a D300s over a D7000 was for the better focusing system on the D300s
    (or if like me you like external hardware controls in favour of controls via menus, then the D300s has one other advantage).

But with this new focusing system, you'd be mad to go for a D300s over a D7100!

price looks very competitive too

I'd say that a D400(D300s replacement) is unlikely to see the light of day now, as it's totally unnecessary, unless they have a 36Mp APS-C sensor also in the works).

Another less publicized, but important feature is native compatibility with Nikon's CLS system. D7000/7100 can control external speedlights as commander, whereas the D5200 does not(requires an external commander to do so).

So as to this comment that it looks like a D5200 ...
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should of said, specs look like D5200.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errr, no.

Definitely not like the D5200. Unless of course you are the type that simply looks at the megapickle specs.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price is aggressive at $1199 usd. Camera Pro has it at $1399AUD pre-order although I haven't seen any other Aussie price mentions.
    Leaves quite a big price gap to the D600.
    Max RAW buffer depth of 9 shots in 12 bit compressed NEF. I've never had a problem with buffer depth for my type of shooting but I wonder how sports shooters feel?
    Weather sealing's a nice touch.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also, if you could elaborate on which specs look the same as a D5200 .. it'd be much appreciated.
    (I must be missing something)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great camera and a very aggressive price point indeed. I am also of the impression that the D400 is an unlikely release..how could they possibly top the D7100 in the DX range? Even if there could be improvements made, it has to significantly different to the D7100 to be able to stand out.
    Last edited by manohartvs; 22-02-2013 at 10:22am.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's listed at B&H for US$1,200.00 body only for pre order and available 21st March, which is incredible value! Probably about AU$1,500, which is generally how these things seem to work out.

If the IQ is better than the D7000, the res works out and the AF is as good as the D800, then it could be a great birding camera.
    Last edited by Lance B; 22-02-2013 at 11:38am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, and I think it's the final nail in the D300s successor's coffin.

Does the D7100's grip increase its fps?
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D7100's grip won't increase its fps, but probably the number of shots by battery charge.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly plenty of camera for the dollars...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    a good look at the focusing system reveals performance more like the D800/D4
    Any details on this AK or is this based on the 'sales talk'?

But with this new focusing system
    "New" focus system looks to be the CAM-3500, same as the D300s (and the D300 before that). Not a bad thing though (and likely tweaked from it's early days).

you'd be mad to go for a D300s over a D7100!
    Count me amongst the mad Arthur (but only at eGlobal prices, not at Nikon Aus prices )

I'd say that a D400(D300s replacement) is unlikely to see the light of day now, as it's totally unnecessary
    I think there will be a D400 (although I'm not particularly confident), but I disagree that it's unnecessary. From online musings there seems to be plenty of demand, although that would obviously depend on where they price it.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read about this on Gizmodo this morning, Looks like it could be a good upgrade from my D5100,
    I like is the sound of the 51-point autofocus, 6fps and a larger viewfinder

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think people need to step back and look at what you're actually paying for..

51 AF points.. really? 39 were more than enough. I'm not sure what you even need them for, if your doing sport you'd be using a single AF point. With that many points trying to work out the focus you'd get inconsistently.

Bigger screen will mean shorter battery life for sure.

Stereo mic.. yeah sure it's cool but if you're serious about video you'd be using external mics.

1.3x crop mode seems silly to me.

Instead of "abusing" me for saying it is similar speced to the D5200, perhaps you could please state how you think it is different? To me it is using exactly the same sensor, same video specs (60fps etc), same processor, same stereo mic, same RAW abilities..

The only things that seem different are a bit pointless.. $700 D5200 vs $800 D7000 vs $1500 D7100..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to agree with fillum.. still think there's room for a D400.

Anyways.. AF module appears to be the newer version of multi-cam 3500DX with detection range down to -2EV and centre AF for lens down to f8. Also face-priority AF mode that came in with the D4/D800's if I'm not mistaken (although I have no experience how well this mode actually works). All in all, an excellent upgrade.

In 1.3X crop (of the already DX-sized sensor which in itself has a 1.5X crop factor from FX), RAW buffer goes up to 14 in 12bit compressed NEFs. Not huge but potentially significant if you're going to crop anyways. You still get 15 odd MP, plenty of resolution and should provide an interesting comparison with the 4/3 format that are currently around 16MP and 2X crop from 135 format (in other words very similar to the 1.3X crop mode of the D7100).

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think people need to step back and look at what you're actually paying for..

51 AF points.. really? 39 were more than enough. I'm not sure what you even need them for, if your doing sport you'd be using a single AF point. With that many points trying to work out the focus you'd get inconsistently.

Bigger screen will mean shorter battery life for sure.

Stereo mic.. yeah sure it's cool but if you're serious about video you'd be using external mics.

1.3x crop mode seems silly to me.
    Not for in camera reach. In otherwords, you are cropping in camera to 1.3x so that you get added reach at 15Mp. Great for birders and the lower Mp means more fps.

Instead of "abusing" me for saying it is similar speced to the D5200, perhaps you could please state how you think it is different? To me it is using exactly the same sensor, same video specs (60fps etc), same processor, same stereo mic, same RAW abilities..

The only things that seem different are a bit pointless.. $700 D5200 vs $800 D7000 vs $1500 D7100..
    You get superior build quality and weather and dust sealing over the D5100 and more Mp over the D7000. A more rubust camera in the semi pro arena which can handle the long lenses better due to the magnesium alloy frame, larger VF for easier focusing and composition, faster fram rates, 59 AF points over 39, AF that is superior, ie faster and more accurate.

Remember, just because you may not see the benefits of these features doesn't mean that these features are not beneficial to others even at the higher price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think at the moment the D7000 at around $800 is a good buy..the 7100 if sold for about $1100 at DWI would also be a great camera ..not sure what id pick.. probably the 7100
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Not for in camera reach. In otherwords, you are cropping in camera to 1.3x so that you get added reach at 15Mp. Great for birders and the lower Mp means more fps.

You get superior build quality and weather and dust sealing over the D5100 and more Mp over the D7000. A more rubust camera in the semi pro arena which can handle the long lenses better due to the magnesium alloy frame, larger VF for easier focusing and composition, faster fram rates, 59 AF points over 39, AF that is superior, ie faster and more accurate.

Remember, just because you may not see the benefits of these features doesn't mean that these features are not beneficial to others even at the higher price.
    I think what I'm getting at is that how Nikon built the D7100.. mostly D5200 internals in a D7000 body and call it "NEW". D7000 when it was released was an amazing step forward.. D7100 not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast