Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Bali Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bali Photography

I am going to Bali in August and would like other photographers to share there experiences , It would be great to see the itineraries of other photographers tips etc
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bali is Crazy Stupid.

Just looking sir, You like? You Buy?? (these will end up being your catch phrases for the visit)

I was there for my Honeymoon, so we really didn't go for the whole sunrise thing, but did do a couple of sunsets. There is a beach near Kuta that's all seafood restaurants, where you should get the sun setting over the ocean, and have a bay full of boats and canoes etc which isn't bad. I can't remember what it's called though.

The trip up to the Volcano is super pretty, If you're into riding, try to take a hotel pushbike up with you, you'll be good for a couple of hours in the saddle coming back down, without turning a pedal the whole time! (seriously, the hill just keeps going down and down and down and down!) The hill itself is lined by trees with white paint around the trees, and is quite pretty. Here you will find locals doing their thing and you're likley to find that old crone with the super wrinkled skin for that draconian portrait you always wanted.

This area is also completely covered with rice paddies and you should be quite happy with the results, but out near Ubud, there is a couple of very pretty terraced rice paddies that are just beautiul!

Ubud itself has the Monkey forest, it's chock a block full of the little buggers! Don't trust them one bit! not even a smidge! They scamper around, stealing food from tourists, the know how to open bottles of water, so not even that's safe! Gee the little buggers are photogenic though, and they have massive play fights that are super amusing to watch. Down the back of the forest is a pool that's away from the rest of the tourists where they gather and dive in with a big splash. I watched them there for a good long time.
    There is also a temple or something int htere too.

The locals are mostly Hindu and are very religious. You will see little offerings to the gods (up high) and to the devils (down low on the ground) everywhere you go. Don't be too upset if you kick one or whatever, the essence of the offering is taken the second it is offered to the gods (or devils) and has no meaning once it's given. You will find plenty of opportuinities to photograph these throughout your trip.

Temples:
    Bali has a couple of very old temples, the one that was most impressive to me is (and I can't remember the name) but is fed by fresh water streams, they do a clensing ceremony here.

the other is a sea side temple that dates back to like 800ad and is quite pretty.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had fun, thanks for your post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 2 weeks riding on a motorbike around Bali and East Java 2 years ago. Saw the real Bali that most tourists would never see or bother to see. Its one of the most beautiful islands in the world where you mix soaring volcanoes with lush forests and dense jungles and untouched beaches.

AVOID Kuta and places around it, just bogan central and it shames me to be an Australian when you see the daily antics of Australians and disrespecting the locals.

Always try to start out in Ubud, and go from there, the tourists who stay there are more cultured unlike the day trippers who come up from Kuta for the day to browse and head back to their beaches and bars again.

My fave place is Bedugul which is 1.5 hours ride north of Ubud past Kintamani

I had my DSLR packed into the cargo space of the motorbike/scooter, satchel bag tied around steering column, and backpack on me, and off I went with a friend.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the volcano....about another half hour or so up the mountain from Ubud. If I get back there I`d love to do a trek. I think this is what Jackie calls Kintamani. Kuta is crap.....good to eat there then get out.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said, Kuta is total Crap! Way too busy, way too pushy.

I have to say that the zoo is good though! the animals all seem to be respected quite well, although the lions seemed bored to me.

Don't book anything through your hotel, you will pay top dollar. haggle at the door.