User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do horizons have to be straight?! (NTP Query)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do horizons have to be straight?! (NTP Query)

I'm not usually a rule basher - I'm a little bit pedantic about most rules, but I just don't get this...

There is no equivalent rule that I have heard of in design (ok maybe in calligraphy, but you can also have circular lines to write on) so I don't understand why having a straight horizon makes a better picture?

- if you are in choppy waves and want to convey your 'queasy' would it make sense to take something for disorienting purposes?
    - If you are looking up squinting with your head at an angle and something resonates with you and you want to take a photo of that, why straighten it?

I'm sure I could think of more situations that I would like clarification on

In design, it's more like, if you want it skew, make sure it's obvious that it is skew, then someone knows that you did on purpose that you were just not doing it because you forgot or by accident.

So can someone (try to) enlighten me as to why this is some to strive for from an aesthetic purpose?
    It may not make me change my opinion, but I am interested in possibly hearing something I may not have thought of or do not know?
    Ta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that horizons do have to be straight (level) for the very reasons you state. However if someone is intending to make a landscape photo and the horizon is slightly off level - unintentionally - it does make the viewer 'unhappy'

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people view landscape images more or less as they would in real life, and off kilter horizon is somewhat a distraction unless of course there's something in the picture that helps create a better dynamic if your horizon is tilted.
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's purely an asthetic quality, but if you check all the masters works, you will be hard pressed to find a crooked horison amongst them. Also, you will find very few dutch tilts too.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find its pretty hard to cope with water sliding off the page, or screen, if the horizon is not level in land or sea scapes involving water.On the other hand some off level shots look interesting, but more often then not I find these to not include a horizon, and are intentionally very skewed.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you say, if it has a purpose, fine. If you are just tooto get it roght, niot fine. A sloping horizon LOOKS wrong, it does not make a pleasing picture. Most viewers will not like the images.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You answered your own Q, actually. Nobody says they DO have to be straight. The point being made in such comments is when the poster quite apparently did not notice
    a leaning horizon when they actually meant to, or had the like intention.

I will not comment as to whether there is any particularly aesthetic purpose, as it is covered in the above point.

You have a reason to do it, do it!
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Otherwise the waters leaks out of the photo!!!

My take: A deliberate angle for artistic reasons is one thing, a slight visible lean is just ugly.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are times when i have read the horizon isnt straight when in actual fact they are talking about mountains in the background which were not straight to begin with
    Pentax K-5iis, DA* 50-135 IF SDM | Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-210 4-5.6 |Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 Macro |Pentax-FA 28-80 3.5-4.7 |Pentax A 50 1.7 |Pentax DA 12-24 | Pentax DAL 55-300|Sigma 28-300 3.5-6.3 and other stuff

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean milesy though that river at the bottom of the mountain is running off the page to the right..
    In images like these I drop a hint to level the image, not the horizon
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 18-02-2013 at 5:40pm. Reason: typo

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanita View Post
    - if you are in choppy waves and want to convey your 'queasy' would it make sense to take something for disorienting purposes?
    - If you are looking up squinting with your head at an angle and something resonates with you and you want to take a photo of that, why straighten it?
    I agree, but if you are tilting a shot for the above reasons, I would say that the viewer needs to get that, as soon as they look at the picture, and the tilt needs to convey the same thing to them as it does to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh , I'll enter into this one , I've been guilty of crooked horizons lately , By 0.35 deg's But I do agree that on Seascapes that include the horizon nearly in intirely , It needs to be straight , Architecture , Elements of design , I have taken plenty that are purposely tilted , Makes a more dynamic shot , If needed i'll get one to post , I used to be into that sort of photography and it works , Hang on I found a couple from the archives where the images were tilted purposely , I think it works , EG

A.jpg

AA.jpg

I'd reckon if they were level they'd look ordinary , Just my opinion though
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my take on the tilted horizon (which I very rarely do):

The Poor Man's Harley by Adam Brice, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanita View Post
    if you want it skew, make sure it's obvious that it is skew, then someone knows that you did on purpose that you were just not doing it because you forgot or by accident.
    this. when a horizon is 1 degree out or less, its just enough to annoy my eyes, but not enough to make me think that you did it by design.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I appreciate hearing all of them.
    Like I said I am (usually) all for rules, but in this case it kind of jarred when I read it in the NTP book and my ex was a fishing journalist and he would make me straighten horizons a lot as well as move identifying features of good spots from photos (I hade the photoshop skills) and in some cases I thought his shot would be better as they wer- particue.

I have never understood why though, so am glad to hear varying ideas about it am particularly fond of the water leaking out of the photo response though!

I think I will also pay a bit more attention now to if it makes a difference to me for eg if its a slight lean on a landscape.
    Thanks
    Q

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others have said - there isn't a rule against it , but it's usually fairly clear when the horizon is not straight by intention vs omission.
    If it's not straight just from no realising it wasn't straight, then you lose nothing from correcting it and usually have a lot to gain! ps. I would find it extremely rare to have an intentionally crooked horizon on a landscape work (apart from distortion which I sometimes like for dead straight horizons which are featureless)
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now we just need to see some of your photos in the critique forums Quanita, so we can decide if your horizons are OK

Seriously though, it would be great to see some of your work soon.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 2.2c worth (includes GST)
    Personally, I haven't seen too many 'normal' landscape that look good on a lean - it is naturally unsettling to our mind for some reason.
    But it does work much better with objects like the images posted above by William & Adam - it adds a whole different dynamic.

You are the master of your photos - if it suits your intent, go for it. If it makes the viewer feel queasy, you have achieved your goal
    You can really maximise the unsettling effect if you want to achieve a particular mood, but I think you have to be obviously deliberate for it to work, not just a slight lean.
    A couple of examples below where I'm trying to mess with people's heads a bit.

Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it when a photo has conflicting levels. I had one recently where if I levelled the photo based on getting the vertical parts vertical, the background looked disconcertingly tilted, but if I straightened the horizon, the verticals looked all wrong, and no amount of lens distortion correction would fix it, in the end I discarded the photo in frustration and put it down to it being an error in my composition of the shot. The mountain range wasn't level, but with no other ground reference, the brain tried to make that the horizon, so the mind complained if it wasn't level, but that tilted all the buildings vertical lines, and the brain complained about that too.
    I think you answer your own question with the reference to the quote about making anything skewed look very deliberate. A couple of degrees people will put down to badly taking the shot and want it straight, whereas if you deliberately took a shot of someone at 45 degrees, you'd be making it pretty clear it was for artistic or emphasis reasons, and that would be much less likely to trouble the viewer, but it may still not be as aesthetic to people as a level composition of the same subject.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken photos on a rolling ship and left the horizon askew to convey that feeling of rolling. I think that is one scenario where the horizon doesn't need to be level. Do you compose a photo to please your self or to please the viewers? If it pleases you to have a tilting horizon then do it, but somebody sure to pounce on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast