Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment with Competition Voting

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointment with Competition Voting

This is a general observation that Mongo has made for some time now.
    If Mongo's understanding of the votes actually cast is correct, then, the disappointment is simple:-

- there are over 18,000 members of AP
    - approx. 50 entries in last weekly comp. in which only 71 members only voted in the qualifying round
    - only 93 voted in the final

Mongo is not disappointed with the number of entries - that is not the issue. He guesses the real issue is in the relative disinterest shown to participate in a simple vote which helps sustain one of AP's activities. An activity which Mongo thinks helps us become better photographers in that it makes us stretch our imaginations, resources and skills to compete. Getting out of that comfort zone is what makes us grow. It can be like doing scales when learning a musical instrument - you might hate it temporarily but you tend to appreciate it when it brings surprisingly good results.

This is intended to stir some thought and not to be negative or offensive. So, please do not take it any other way.

Rightly or wrongly, Mongo has not has his say
    Last edited by mongo; 18-02-2013 at 1:15pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that for a while Mongo - lately I haven't had time to vote or enter comps without just doing a shoddy first impression type of scoring but I think that not only does entering the competitions drive you to do better, but trying to think critically about images presented before you also aids that process.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS 5dmk3 : 17-40 F4 L, 70-200F2.8 canon L, 24-70mm canon L, Gitzo Safari +1178 ballhead. |Canon 5dmkII, 16-35mmF2.8 II L, Gitzo 2541 )
    Singh Ray/Hitech/Lee assorted filters, Z pro modified system Cokin holder
    Post : Lightroom 3.6 catalogue -> Export as 16bit TIFF, Edited CS5 -> resized for web.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honestly imo

i spend most of my day looking at photos (500px, fb, g+ and the rest etc) i find this interface unappealing to use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your comments Mongo, I vote on all the competitions (whether I have entered or not) as I find it interesting to see how some of the themes are interpreted and sometimes awe at the quality of the pics.
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy the voting, and entered my first comp last week. Maybe some people have lost interest, and that's pretty normal I reckon.
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just joined up and was actually too unsure if I should vote. I did look at all the entries.
    I would not appreciate a vote being skewed by someone like me who has little or no knowledge on the technicality of photography.
    If you had a people's choice photo or the competition was called something like that, it would be different.

Voting for something that appeals is fair enough, but I would prefer to wait until I understand more to make a vote based on the talent of the photographer not just on the subject of the photo appealing to me.

You should also consider how many _active_ members there are - maybe the current number of voters is actually indicative of the amount of members who are here on a consistent basis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit to have gotten lazy I do go through stages where I am not able to spend as much time on here, but it doesn't take that long to vote so thanks Mongo for the virtual kick up the bum Your post is is a good reminder because I know when the time comes that I enter another competition I will appreciate people voting so I just went and voted is this weeks comp
    Tania
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to forget there is a competition, and so then the deadline passes and I don't get either an entry in, or get to vote. It just has not become a regular thing for me to do.Perhaps if it was more prominent in the headlines and then I might remember to do something about it.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enter and vote in every comp, The numbers of members voting does worry me sometimes , I'm sure it's relative to the members that enter the Comps I'm guessing , I am enjoying the different themes that the Mods have put forward , You would think that it would/Could get some members out of there comfort zone's to try something different from there normal Genre's
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanita View Post
    I've just joined up and was actually too unsure if I should vote. I did look at all the entries.
    I would not appreciate a vote being skewed by someone like me who has little or no knowledge on the technicality of photography.
    If you had a people's choice photo or the competition was called something like that, it would be different.

Voting for something that appeals is fair enough, but I would prefer to wait until I understand more to make a vote based on the talent of the photographer not just on the subject of the photo appealing to me.

You should also consider how many _active_ members there are - maybe the current number of voters is actually indicative of the amount of members who are here on a consistent basis?
    Note that new members cannot vote till they have been an active site member for 10 days. This is in place to stop someone recruiting friends to join up simply to vote for them
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been making an effort to participate in the competitions latley, but I have to say that although I entered the last photo of the week competition, I did not vote. I was just too busy.

I also have to say that the voting system is terrible if you're on a mobile device. (I use Chrome for android on an s3 galaxy) you have to constantly change zoom to vote and then change again to look at the image. It's not particlarly easy to do.
    Perhaps if I was using the tapatalk app it'd be easier, I don't know. I refuse to pay $$ for apps.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnouts View Post
    honestly imo

i spend most of my day looking at photos (500px, fb, g+ and the rest etc) i find this interface unappealing to use
    thanks for your reply Burnouts. It is an interesting perspective. Not sure what you mean by "this interface" - is it the site or the voting you are referring to ? perhaps suggest a different interface.

In any event, as a general observation, Mongo has found that with certain rights, privileges and enjoyments there are corresponding duties or responsibilities - call them "chores" if you like. Voting can be fun but usually, it is treated as a potential chore in exchange for what the site gives back to us. If not mistaken, Mongo thinks its one of the only things that the site asks of us to consider doing in exchange for all the benefits (except for the Mods who clearly do a lot more than we do). So, in the scheme of things, it may not be a bad thing to think about giving a little back of what we take.

Hope we can inspire you to think about voting now and then if you can't the rest of the time.

Mongo thanks all the others who have also responded with their various answers. It is interesting to see the variation. For the new members who feel that you are not good enough to vote, (subject to the 10 day requirement Rick mentioned), your views are just as valid and wanted as the more experienced members. So, don't let that stop you. Sometimes , its just what you like and not what you think you should like, that matters.
    Last edited by mongo; 18-02-2013 at 3:25pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnouts View Post
    honestly imo

There is a new forum format coming (vBulletin V5).
    It is still in beta and probably will be 12 months before we see it here due to customisations we have.
    It will be a bit slicker (dynamic) in its presentation.

A look at the vanilla Demo format is here: https://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/main-forum -- free to join and play.

Feedback time:

• Are you not happy with the basic Forum paradigm? or
    • Are you not happy with Gallery etc.? or
    • Are you not happy with the way comp images are displayed?
    • Are you not happy with finding stuff to respond to?
    • Any or all of the above or something else?

If there is an issue, we are open to improvement ideas.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another one guilty of not voting. I seem to forget to have a look at the competions until its to late to vote.....the winners being announced usually reminds me to go and have a look.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like voting though I do vote in all the comps even though I have not entered for a few weeks
    I usually vote every Sunday night after dinner so its over and done with. Though this lot last night took me by surprise and I clicked off.
    Will I get back to it this week I am not sure.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    - there are over 18,000 members of AP
    Of which about 10% are active (i.e. have interacted in some form the last 90 days) and about 7% have actually posted something in the last 90 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So who's voting ?

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    So who's voting ?
    Admins know, that's it. We have an admin tool that lets us see who voted what.
    It's generally the usual suspects, i.e. the most active on the site.

We keep an eye on it from an integrity perspective.
    Eg. if 10 people voted who never voted before and all for the same image.
    The good news is that there have not been any irregularities for some years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feedback time:

Are you not happy with the basic Forum paradigm? or
    Are you not happy with Gallery etc.? or
    Are you not happy with the way comp images are displayed?
    Are you not happy with finding stuff to respond to?
    Any or all of the above or something else?
    All my gripes are mobile based.
    As previously mentioned I run Chrome for Android and I find that it cuts of a portion of some photos displayed, and you can't resize/zoom to get it to include it. Rotating the screen aslo does not help.

For voting: the radial buttons (is that what they're called?) on the RHS of each image is too small to hit properly with a finger, and makes it difficult to cast your vote on a mobile device, even one with the screen space of an s3 galaxy.

these are the only problems I have with the entire AP system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99% of the time, I am viewing the forum using an iPad and Tapatalk. The competition links do not work for me. Here's an example:

http://apcompetition.php/?do=display...3&showthumbs=1

This page returns a server could not be found error. Hence I don't vote cause I can't load the pages. Anyone else has this issue?
    Last edited by Epoc; 18-02-2013 at 5:06pm.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast