Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Graphics issue with transparent GUI

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graphics issue with transparent GUI

This is more of a computer problem than a photography one ... but ... I've been using Adobe's DNG conversion for RAW files seeing that my camera is too new for my usual software to process them.

Something has got corrupted somewhere on my PC because now the interface comes up with holes in it which show through the the underlying screen. I've tried all the tricks I know to fix it, but nothing worls. The attached photo shows it on the AusPhotography site, and as you can see I can't fill in any details because they are now transparent and unresponsive. Any clues how to fix it?

graphics problem.jpg

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Format your hard drive and start again?

Seems to be a regular occurrence for windows and adobe users.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL @ ^^^

Have you tried uninstalling the DNG converter, then restarting your computer and reinstalling it?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update your version of Java and Adobe Flash. Also see if your video card has had a driver update.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    LOL @ ^^^
    Have you tried uninstalling the DNG converter, then restarting your computer and reinstalling it?
    Yup .. that was my first "solution" ... now I'll try the driver upgrading suggestion! Mind you, it *was* working OK, so it's probably some other conflict.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily Bob. Go to the website of your graphic card manufacturer and download from there. Do that instead of just using the Microsoft Device Manager.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A long shot, but... Win Vista or Win & (??Or maybe even 8). The see-thru feature?? I know it bugs me with Firefox.
    Just a long shot, F=1000mm, effete, just a sec, ISOtopic.
    A(he)m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Windows 7 you can turn off the transparency.

Right click on the screen, and click on Personalize...then Window Color at the bottom of the screen. Uncheck 'Enable Transparency'.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    In Windows 7 you can turn off the transparency.
    Right click on the screen, and click on Personalize...then Window Color at the bottom of the screen. Uncheck 'Enable Transparency'.
    Mine doesn't have that checkbox, although I found it eventually in the menus (and it didn't make any difference). The odd thing is that if I click on one of the themes, then ADG suddenly decides to work OK, and continues working until I close it. If I subsequently reopen it, then it remains unresponsive until I pretend to change the theme again. It's a "workaround", but not very good. However, thanks for pointing me to an area which let me find an interim solution!!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to use this opportunity for another jibe at Adobe for their marvelous software efforts .. but I get occasionally similar issues with Nikon's software too!

I dunno if it has anything to do with transparency at all(mine are really random) and some weeks go without seeing the issue at all, and some times it's relentless.

But I see it sometimes if I have ViewNX2 open, and use the Open with CaptureNX2 option on my raw files.

That is, I get over and underlays of CaptureNX2, with traces of ViewNX2 in various locations(kind of similarly to your screencap).

99.9% of the time, if I see this I close CNX2 and reopen the image again, even while VNX2 is still active and it disappears totally, so that CNX2 is properly displayed.

Once, maybe twice the problem persisted, to the point where I've tried to close down ViewNX2(suppsedly in the background, but still active).

Memory issues, graphics card memory issues .. dunno.

So .. in your case Bob, is the issue persistent, in that every time you open the DNG converter, this happens?
    What if you only have the DNG converter open and active, and nothing else ... do the holes display the background/desktop image of your PC?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It really does sound like a memory buffer issue of some sort. Where either the computer or the graphics card memory cannot keep up with supply of data to the screen. Try using DNG without any other programmes running, not even the browser. If it works OK when its the only thing running, but this happens when you have DNG open, browser open, photoshop open etc, its a memory buffer issue. My guess is that this occurs when the system is 'under load'.

It would be interesting to know the memory specs of the computer and the graphics card.

With windows you can do Ctrl+Alt+Del then when the options screen comes up 'start task manager'. On the 'processes' tab, click on CPU or memory at the top (till they sort into usage order) and watch what is using your memory up while using DNG. Also look at the 'performance' tab and watch what is happening with your CPU and memory, again while using DNG. My guess is that when this transparency occurs, something will peak out, giving you a hint of the cause.
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-02-2013 at 8:13am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    So .. in your case Bob, is the issue persistent, in that every time you open the DNG converter, this happens?
    What if you only have the DNG converter open and active, and nothing else ... do the holes display the background/desktop image of your PC?
    Yup ... all the time, and I can't remember what changes I introduced that caused it (I install various bits of software all the time). The only way I can use it is the odd workaround I mentioned before. It's got to be some sort of conflict somewhere, but darned if i know how to un-conflict it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee this would be an easy fix if your camera had a DNG workflow built in!

Oh! what? you don't have a Pentax??!!

looks and sounds like a video driver conflict to me. I'd be looking to upgrade your graphics card driver to match your fandangled new camera and Adobe software.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    It really does sound like a memory buffer issue of some sort. My guess is that this occurs when the system is 'under load'.
    It would be interesting to know the memory specs of the computer and the graphics card.
    Stacks of memory, and not even a ripple on the CPU or memory when I open it - I downloaded one of those "fix all" programs, but that didn't help either. The graphics are just on-board graphics as I don't have a dedicated graphics card - but DNG worked well before the conflict appeared, and it works well if I do the workaround to get it started. I suspect that tongue in cheek suggestion to format the drive might be the only cure!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    Gee this would be an easy fix if your camera had a DNG workflow built in!

Oh! what? you don't have a Pentax??!!
    looks and sounds like a video driver conflict to me. I'd be looking to upgrade your graphics card driver to match your fandangled new camera and Adobe software.
    I've got a Pentax ... I keep it with my other antiques!
    I think you're right about the driver conflict though ...... probably my fault for having so many programs on the PC - I'm a bit of a software junkie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you go to your task manager, how many processes does it report in the bottom left corner.
    This is usually a good indicator of system health. The fewer processess running, the more resources the system has available to it, the less chance of a conflict arising.

Generally I try to keep it below 80 on a newer machine. In the old XP days, anything over about 50 was going to make your system chug.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    When you go to your task manager, how many processes does it report in the bottom left corner.
    This is usually a good indicator of system health. The fewer processess running, the more resources the system has available to it, the less chance of a conflict arising.
    Generally I try to keep it below 80 on a newer machine. In the old XP days, anything over about 50 was going to make your system chug.
    It's got 90 at the moment, but even when I first boot up DNG has the transparency issue, and it was working fine. Unfortunately, the PC has more memory than I have (by a large factor) and so I can't remember what I have changed since it was OK. I have stacks of memory and spare processor - I might try starting in safe mode and see if it'll work that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if not, then the good old:

C:/>Format C: /s Should do the trick