Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing brands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing brands

This is a post I put up on my blog today, hope its ok to post here too.

Changing Brands

Changing brands in most things isn’t a huge deal. In motorcycling for instance we tend to have our favorite brand (eg: Kawasaki) but I’ve owned Honda and Yamaha and currently ride a Suzuki Bandit. Video gamers are a little more hard-core however, but once the new range of models come out its not unusual for someone to go from Sony to Microsoft or vice-versa.

Cameras are a different kettle of fish. When you start out with a DSLR you’re buying into a system. Over the years you invest (usually too much) money in lenses and all kinds of accessories that are generally specific for that brand. So when it comes to upgrading your camera you have to think long and hard about changing brands and starting that collection all over again. You will also have to learn all over again all the eccentricities of that brand (which can be fun mind you).

I’ve had this issue recently. I love my K5, I really do. But with Pentax still sitting on their hands regarding a full frame camera, it offered no upgrade path. And I like new toys. So I had to decide; Do I keep the K5 and hope the big P finally gets their shit together, or Do I jump ship to a brand that does have a solid way forward.
    It’s tough.

So I had a deal all in place to trade to a Nikon D7000. I read review after review on the camera for nights on end. Spec wise its easily on par with the K5. Both have attributes that are better and worse in comparison, but essentially are equivalents.
    But I never got a sense of “wow” about it. With all the excitement over the D600 and now the D5200; it’s like it got lost in the middle somewhere. I still intended to push forward with this deal; but the brain just couldn’t convince the heart that it was the right thing to do.
    I couldn’t get excited about the prospect.
    I even went into the local Teds store to have a play with one. Now, I dont want to take ANYTHING away from the D7000; it is truly a fantastic camera and if I was looking to a) change brands, and b) upgrade from something older; I’d be all over it like a fat kid on candy.

Today however I did the opposite. I went and re-read a whole stack of reviews about the K5. It reminded myself why it is such a great camera and why the industry really jumped up when it was released. It also made me realize that in the two questions I asked myself before (Keep or Jump ship) there was a third.
    Just be happy (at least for a bit).
    So I sent a message to the poor guy with the D7000 with my apologies and an offer to pay for the service he just had on it. I then pulled the K5 out of its bag and we running around the house chasing the dog, just for fun.

So whats the moral to this story? If you’re feeling like an upgrade, it’s probable that you’re actually more than happy with what you have. Go back and read all the reviews on your camera; it will help get you excited about it again.
    Last edited by Lurchorama; 16-02-2013 at 4:03pm.
    Pentax K-3 | K100D | Q | Q7
    And a large bag'o glass
    Flickr | Blog | 500px

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What!!! And send the camera companies broke instead of perpetrating your own bankruptcy???
    (Sage advice, though!)

And I've been thinking what a Lurchorama format might be? Surely 9:16 aspect ratio but vertically oriented! Probably with a few stitched frames.
    m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been tempted to go Nikon, but I have worked happily with Pentax since the 70's.
    I still use glass from the 70's.

FF is not big deal to me as I get all I need from APS-C, but now Ricoh is in the picture there should be a 35mm offering later this year.

The K-5 is a really excellent unit, I'm very tempted to get a K-5 IIs, Nel (SWMBO) has already said ok

There is of course a MF in the 645D if you need a serious studio/landscape camera. Canikon don't have that.

Changing brands is expensive! Body + lenses + flash + spare batteries etc.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might seem odd, but the K5II/s was a reason FOR switching brands for me.
    It really gave me a sense of "Huh? Really?? Thats the best youve got to offer?".
    It just has 'stop-gap' written all over it in my mind. Yes; there are improvements, but just no enough to justify coming from the K5-Classic.
    If I was still running my GX20 (K20D) I'd consider it. But on that; with the price of the K5-Classic dropped for run-out - I'd still be tempted by the Classic. In fact I was; I went from a K7 to my K5 classic in November

The 645D tho... *drool*. Excuse me while I got and try and sell a kidney.
    Last edited by Lurchorama; 16-02-2013 at 4:40pm.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The IIs sans AA filter is a plus for me.
    The II and IIs are obviously interim.
    I'd expect a 35mm and new APS-C (with an s option) later this year if things go to plan.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case I'll probably wait for the bugs to get worked out of the FF and the traditional Pentax, 6month price drop to occur

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but knowing Pentax; they'll then come out with something REALLY left field, like a 5D3-priced MF - lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post

There is of course a MF in the 645D if you need a serious studio/landscape camera. Canikon don't have that.
    Nikon brings death to MF with the D800.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    36.3 MP in a DSLR FX body that has faster frame rate, better ISO performance, 4.5x the number of focus points all at almost 1/4 the price of a 645D.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Nikon brings death to MF with the D800.

LOL!..... pixels aren't everything!

And if they are, then 36 million of them still is no comparison to the 40 million that the 645 has ... let alone the 60-80 million that is also available to those in need!

D800 has done no such thing.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently done your contemplated brand swap moving from a K5 to a D600.

I was a little underwhelmed with the K5 and actually liked my previous K20D much more.

However I have to tell you that the D600 is in a different league to the K5, FF aside. It just does everything I hoped it would, and does it well.

It was a big decision for me too as I had also accumulated a fair collection of Pentax glass, but I have absolutely no regrets with my decision to switch camps.

Oh and BTW, I still have the 1200 Bandit I bought new early 1997. Other than being a bit of a handful in the tight twisties it has done everything I've asked of it. It's a great tourer and I can sit on it all day.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the D600 is another step up again from the D7000 I was looking it. Had I had the finances to trade up to something like that; it may have been a different story.
    There are still some things that shit me about the K5 tho, primarily the inability to just walk into a shop and get "stuff" for it. But that goes for any Pentax. I'm too much of an impulse buying for that not to get annoying.

As for the 645 vs D800, well the 645 is the best we have in Pentax World at the moment, so let us just have that

Regarding the Bandit tho, I wish I had ridden one earlier. I never bothered because they always looked so... Well, boring. But late last year I test rode a 2006 (last of the oil boilers) and I had to have it. Sold my M109r and haven't looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Smoke signals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    36.3 MP in a DSLR FX body that has faster frame rate, better ISO performance, 4.5x the number of focus points all at almost 1/4 the price of a 645D.
    2 completely different things, 645D offers 16 bit, greater DR, much larger sensor and colours. Not really 2 cameras one should even need to bother comparing, megapixels dont mean anything, sensor size is.

I'll say this again, as I have many times - you havent really owned Pentax until you have owned some of its FA and DA Limited primes.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    greater DR, much larger sensor and colours
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...se/Pentax/645D
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pub...or-performance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come back and let me know your own personal experiences using 645D and D800/E and Phase Ones and Hassies instead of pointing me to a site that a lot of pros have stopped taking it seriously a long time ago. Numbers and graphs are pretty cool, to some.

Otherwise many photographers and rental companies around the world would have simply swapped over to the awesome D800 a long time ago, no? Much, much cheaper to buy or rent dont you think.

If you want to play the internet links game thing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBTE4xpvpk - MF always wins on skin tones and colour depth. among many things. I and many others have not been fully happy with the skin tones on D800/E.
    Last edited by JM Tran; 17-02-2013 at 8:17pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ANYWAY...
    Sorry guys, this wasn't meant to be a 'Pro Pentax/Anti Nikon'. It was meant to be Pro: Be happy with what you have.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lurch. It's lucky we don't speak French!
    Gomez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the need to change brands once you have decided? I get the impression for most people it's just because another brand has just released a new camera with something new that looks good on paper. I'm not a fanboy. Bought Canon because people I know have canon and I could have have borrowed their lenses. My camera is getting a bit old and well I'm not 100% happy with some of the photos it's producing. So I think it's time for an upgrade. But I'm not going to jump camp, that's too expensive. I'm just going to wait until they bring out a new camera with what I want on it. From what I have read, there's a pretty good chance that this year will have those features.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast