Thread: AP usage information Jan 2013

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AP usage information Jan 2013

Just for interest here are some of the stats for January 2013 indicating how we use AP and from where...

APtech.png

APcountry.png

APdays.png

APhours.png
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Days and hours are pretty much as I would think they would be. I am suprised at the number of countries, and also at the dominance of Firefox. I have it installed on my Mac but haven't used it much. Might start using it a bit more.

Intereting. Thanks Kym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not much difference between chrome and IE, how things have chnaged.
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Fotonut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting stats
    Brian
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Gear : Nikon D3100; Nikkor 18-55 mm, Nikkor 55 - 300mm, Sigma "Bigma" 50 - 500 and a heap of Enthusiasm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beeps44/
    http://500px.com/beeps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I found interesting was that nearly 24% of the contacts are with Macs, but that 17% are with Safari, so some of them must be using one of the other browsers.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Kym as mentioned its very interesting though it does not surprise me about FF I have been using it for about 7 years on my desktops.
    I installed Win 7 on my Macbook Pro so I could use my software and I have it on there too,
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 15-02-2013 at 4:05pm.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    What I found interesting was that nearly 24% of the contacts are with Macs, but that 17% are with Safari, so some of them must be using one of the other browsers.
    Chrome and Firefox most likely. The high % of MACS is no surprise considering the theme of AP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting indeed! And interesting that Chrome is so close to IE - will obviously outstrip it in the next year! Funnily, I've started used Chrome at work because I can't upgrade from IE7 and it's such a dog, and chrome works better than FF at work! However it doesn't work for everything, so depending on what I want to do, I switch between IE, FF and Chrome! Why can't one browser just do it all?

I'm curious though what exactly "bandwith" means on some of the stats? For example, on the second screen shot, the US and China both have proportionately more "bandwidth" allocations than other countries.
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 40D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 ~ Tamron AF 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ~ Photoshop CS5 ~ Lightroom 3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
    I'm curious though what exactly "bandwith" means on some of the stats? For example, on the second screen shot, the US and China both have proportionately more "bandwidth" allocations than other countries.
    bandwidth is the amount of data uploaded and downloaded from the site. Same as you may have an ADSL connection with 200GB monthly limit, what you do on the net uses up that 200GB. That is your bandwidth usage. For AP it is the amount of data uploaded and downloaded, for the entire site.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    bandwidth is the amount of data uploaded and downloaded from the site. Same as you may have an ADSL connection with 200GB monthly limit, what you do on the net uses up that 200GB. That is your bandwidth usage. For AP it is the amount of data uploaded and downloaded, for the entire site.
    Pity that it is shown in both GB and MB. Why not all in GB and decimals of GB?

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Pity that it is shown in both GB and MB. Why not all in GB and decimals of GB?
    Tell AWstats

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bandwidth is pure web traffic, bi-directional.

I'm not sure about the high rate of Chinese traffic, we have blocked some Chinese spiders (web crawlers).
    I'll need to did deeper and block some more I think

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this stuff. Very interesting indeed, especially the Chinese factor. The PC vs Mac thing is a bit like the Canon vs Nikon thing!

Just on a vaguely related matter ... our club is looking to conduct more of its activities via an interface like yours, and is looking at on-line mechanisms. This is Joomla isn't it? How much knowledge does one have to have to set up a photo club using this software - is it purely a programmer's realm or could any reasonably computer aware person have a decent crack at it? (without meaning to suggest that this site was easy). We need to bring our club further into the 21st century.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this info.it appears many people have time on Sundays as suspected.
    Graeme

Nikon D90,Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Nikon 18-105 f3.5-5.6VR, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6Di VC,Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX, Benro A2692TB1S tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, where does people using Tapatalk or other forum specific viewers fit in?
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US and China figures are interesting. Personally, if they are chewing up bandwidth by using web crawlers etc., then the country should be banned full stop. Apologies to residents of said countries that want to maintain an international presence However, bandwidth costs money and I'm sure we'd all want that money spent on us, not countries that can afford to pay for their own

- - - Updated - - -

Something bizarre happened there, pay no mind, cheers Deb

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    .... I installed Win 7 on my Macbook Pro so I could use my software ....
    I'm hoping you partitioned your HD to run Windows in one partition and Mac OSX in the other? cheers Deb
    Last edited by Mathy; 24-02-2013 at 11:49pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post
    Just curious, where does people using Tapatalk or other forum specific viewers fit in?
    From what I can tell they come under the operating system ie (iOS or Android). In the Operating System screen, I think the 4th one down with the ? is including all the Android ones, along with other OS that the site software cannot work out exactly what they are.

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit puzzled with the band width usage. If the USA and China use so much bandwidth why is it that we don't see masses of photos taken by photographers from these countries submitted? Or have I got it all wrong and am missing something.
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled with the band width usage. If the USA and China use so much bandwidth why is it that we don't see masses of photos taken by photographers from these countries submitted? Or have I got it all wrong and am missing something.
    search engine bots, spammers and hackers. If I look at where most of the hack attempts come from it is Russia, China, USA. Same with spam attempts (though Pakistan is catching up as a good place to be a spammer). Google bots scan the site continuously, as do yahoo and other search engines (incl chinese ones). We block quite a few hack attempts every hour.
    Time: Mon Mar 4 05:52:00 2013 +1100
    IP: *removed IP address** (US/United States/static-71-177-32-18.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
    Failures: 10 (pop3d)
    Interval: 300 seconds
    Blocked: Permanent Block
    we block them temporarily to start with and then permanently if they persist. The 'failures' noted in the above, is the number of times they have tried to access the site back-end, but they all take up bandwidth usage and report in the overall site figures.

Also people find the site using Google/ Bing etc and then come have a look, usually they are searching for something specific and we get a hit, so they click to see if they can find what they want, that all counts. Basically any computer, anywhere in the world, that looks at the site, gets included in the stats.
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-03-2013 at 7:31am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    Days and hours are pretty much as I would think they would be. I am suprised at the number of countries, and also at the dominance of Firefox. I have it installed on my Mac but haven't used it much. Might start using it a bit more.

Intereting. Thanks Kym
    I have Firefox installed on my MacBook Pro as I was used to it when I had Windowz.. Cannot stand Safari.. you will be suprised how well it works.. just got to get the plugings for it (ad blocker, flash etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    search engine bots, spammers and hackers. If I look at where most of the hack attempts come from it is Russia, China, USA. Same with spam attempts (though Pakistan is catching up as a good place to be a spammer). Google bots scan the site continuously, as do yahoo and other search engines (incl chinese ones). We block quite a few hack attempts every hour.
    Time: Mon Mar 4 05:52:00 2013 +1100
    IP: *removed IP address** (US/United States/static-71-177-32-18.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
    Failures: 10 (pop3d)
    Interval: 300 seconds
    Blocked: Permanent Block
    we block them temporarily to start with and then permanently if they persist. The 'failures' noted in the above, is the number of times they have tried to access the site back-end, but they all take up bandwidth usage and report in the overall site figures.

Also people find the site using Google/ Bing etc and then come have a look, usually they are searching for something specific and we get a hit, so they click to see if they can find what they want, that all counts. Basically any computer, anywhere in the world, that looks at the site, gets included in the stats.
    Awesome job guys
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------