So, later this year I'm off to South America for a few months.

Due to my fiance's back injury, I'll be lugging the majority of our gear, so I'm thinking weight is particularly critical.

As a result, I'm thinking of ditching the DSLR for the trip and investing in mirrorless instead. I've been doing a bit of research, and so far as I can tell some of the mirrorless cameras have IQ which is comparable to DSLR (may fall short a little in some more testing situations, dynamic range, high ISO etc, but it'll still be an upgrade from my 30D!). AF speed is a little poorer, and shutter lag is a bit higher - but aside from being a lot smaller, I'd be saving several kilos in weight, which I think is going to be the critical thing (also, lighter camera = lighter tripod). Aside from that, I figure I'll be more likely to pull it out on day trips, and it's probably a bit more discrete security-wise

So has anybody on here switched to mirrorless for travel, and did you regret it at any point? Travelling with both is just not going to happen at all, so it's 'either/or'.

The other consideration, of course, is that my lenses aren't particularly special but some mirrorless ones, even some of the cheaper ones, are pretty good.

Any experiences?

My fiance is a point-and-shooter, but she's also considering investing in a mirrorless for better quality images (she has an old IXUS so she'd need to upgrade). Tossing up whether I should suggest a mirrorless or a larger-sensor compact for her, but I guess that's another thread.