User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: a well packaged lens

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a well packaged lens

I've had my overworked 9-18mm lens in getting repaired by Olympus.
    It arrived back today safe and sound...but perhaps a little over-packaged ??
    I guess you can never be too careful

olympus packaging2.jpg
    Not sure how many Li batteries they think might be in a lens but we were warned all the same by a large friendly label.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, that kind of post is a very welcome reassurance to people sending lenses away for repair etc.
    I for one appreciate firms taking time to do the whole job properly.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that the Olympus repair centre were a pleasure to deal with.
    My lens was bought from B&H in the US, but this was never an issue with Olympus Australia.
    It was out of warranty anyway, wherever I bought it.
    Prompt correspondence via e-mail & text. They had to order in a part from Japan, but they didn't charge me until the repair was complete a few days ago.
    Now I can finally get back to some sunrises & landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what exactly went wrong with the lens?? These days, in the throw-away society that we live in, it is often cheaper to buy a new one than get an item fixed, so how did the cost of the repair compare with the cost of a new lens?? Just curious.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lens started coming up with error when between 14-18mm when you autofocussed it said "check the status of a lens" and you had to power off the camera to get it working again.
    Given I mainly shoot this lens at 9mm it was workable. Then late last year the started doing it at all focal lengths.
    The best info I could find on the micro 4/3 forums was the lens needed replacing!

Olympus quoted about $230 for the repair after inspection. I bought it for $549 from the US about 2 years ago. Given it still retails here for $700-$800, and the used ones still go for about $400-$500 on ebay, I figured it was worth getting repaired for the money.
    While not a fast lens, it is a great compact landscape lens I have used a lot. (and the only wide angle I have that I can put filters on)

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know - a reasonable repair pirce and a decent charging system. I daresay all their boxes just automatically get the battery sticker on them, and I live the 'well packaged' image.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||