Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Used 5D or new 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used 5D or new 7D

hi everyone,
    i am saving up for a 7d and have now $500 together, but now I found a 5D for sale for $450 which would be the entrance for me into the FF world.
    well, now i do not know should i rather save further for the 7D or should I buy the 5D?
    Would like to hear a few opinnions about that!
    Cheers klaus!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 5D is getting quite old now, and thus the tech inside it is also quite old. I would say get the 7D simply cause of that alone.

5D announced Aug 2005
    7D announced Sept 2009
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to your quick relpy Rick,
    that means I have to save bit longer! Or perhaps I sell first my D20 with one of the lenses I do not use get some extra maybe $300/400 or so I then I am a big step closer to the 7D!
    Yeah well I might do that!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it was me, I would save a bit longer. Though the 5D was groundbreaking when it was introduced and it is still a very capable camera, the 7D being newer offers things like a better sensor, better image processing engine, probably faster write speeds to the card etc. One of the things I did notice about a friends 5D was how long it took to write to the memory card, compared to my D200, at the time.

So if you can wait, and can save more, then the 7D should be the better choice.
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-02-2013 at 8:44am.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canon 7D body can be had new for $950 at the moment, maybe save a little more and go for that?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably wait a little bit longer. Save up for the 7D, But the other thing to ask would do you have compatible FF lenses? Personly I am waiting to see what the 70D brings when it comes out. There has been a suggestion that it will be more robust than the 60D, more like the build quality of the 50D and 40D. If that's the case I will probably get that instead. New technology and probably won't be afar off specs wise to the 7D.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,
    I guess you guys are right.
    That might to some poeple sound now a bit funny, but one of the mainreason for me why I wanted to buy the 7d in the first place was the viewfinder! When I had a play at HN with it I was really blown away how clear the viewfider is compared to my old 20D!
    Jeah well, I gues I will than save bit longer and get me the 7D. I was just tempted by the price for the 5D MarkI. But in the future I will look more into it to get me lenses which are compatible with a FF camera when I one day get me a FF camera then I would have at least alraedy some lenses for it!
    Thanks for your advice guys!
    Cheers Klaus!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    ... but one of the mainreason for me why I wanted to buy the 7d in the first place was the viewfinder! When I had a play at HN with it I was really blown away how clear the viewfider is compared to my old 20D!
    mmm, have you tried adjusting the dioptric adjustment knob on your camera? Should be a little wheel somewhere near the viewfinder. On my 60D it's top right of the viewfinder. I found adjusting it made my eyesight less blurred (when looking through the viewfinder ).
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the hint Mark,
    but that is the first think which I check when I get a camera where the view is blurry! No,no, it has more to do with my eyeside! And like I mentiond, the viewfinder on the 7D is so much better , realy fir me it was a big surprise!
    So, i will save for a bit longer and i hope that canon brings the 7D MarkI/II out on the market sometime this year and that should help to bring the price from the 7D even further down!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    Thanks for the hint Mark,
    but that is the first think which I check when I get a camera where the view is blurry! No,no, it has more to do with my eyeside! And like I mentiond, the viewfinder on the 7D is so much better , realy fir me it was a big surprise!
    So, i will save for a bit longer and i hope that canon brings the 7D MarkI/II out on the market sometime this year and that should help to bring the price from the 7D even further down!
    DSLR cameras are a bit like computers....buy one and it seems it is rapidly "improved upon" with a new model. I graduated from a G5 to a 20D and then the 40D which has not missed a beat - many of my photos are used in the magazines that I write for. If I were you I would buy the 7D, and then save for some suitable lenses that will be FF compatible when you take the next step.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I am going to do now
    Acko, the 7D will be the first step
    and then I look into it to get mr better lenses.