Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Camera for son and his fiancé's overseas trip

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera for son and his fiancé's overseas trip

My son and his fiancé are going on an overseas trip for 3 months to Europe in May, neither of them are into photography.

They do want to take photos when they are over there, I considered letting them take my much unused now Canon 50D and I would buy them an EF-S zoom lens for it, but how many keepers would they get using it?

Would it be better for my wife and I to buy them a new compact type camera? If so.......what are some suggestions as I don't know anything about brands and models in this range.

I would really appreciate anyones thoughts.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always find it difficult to provide recommendations to anyone new(ish) to photography in terms of what gear to buy, as I have dfferent requirements, standards and experience.

However, your question about how many keepers they'd get is begging for an answer.

The short answer is that their keeper rate has little to do with the camera, and everything to do with their ability.

If they're not into photography and will be travelling around Europe for three months (presumably on the cheap and fairly lightly in terms of luggage), a bulky SLR may not be optimal.

Your best bet is to talk to them and see what would interest them as well as suit their circumstances.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Xenedis, a DSLR is going to be cumbersome isn't it and also maybe blink to be stolen?

As I said, neither of them are into photohraphy. They just want the easiest way to capture memories of there trip, but of course they're looking at me to have all the answers

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Thanks Xenedis, a DSLR is going to be cumbersome isn't it and also maybe blink to be stolen?
    When travelling anywhere with expensive gear, one needs to be sensible. I've travelled with significant camera gear around South Africa and Israel, and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    As I said, neither of them are into photohraphy. They just want the easiest way to capture memories of there trip, but of course they're looking at me to have all the answers
    For simple memories and Facebook update material, an SLR probably isn't the best choice.

I still think it's best to have a chat and see what would be suitable. Like most people who aren't into <insert hobby/craft/sport here>, they'll want a <insert thing here> which can do everything.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my wife a Canon G12. it is a very capable compact camera with some more advanced settings if they discover a passion for photography over the 3 months.....other than that consider some of the 'indestructible' compacts such as the Lumix range. Will get their memories and survive the odd mishap as well.

Since they are not 'into photography' then they should be happy with snapshot memories and not try for the classic postcard image.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out a Sony RX100.
    I know a friend with 3 of them in his family. He bought it, liked it and bought his brother and dad one too when they wanted a take-anywhere camera.
    I've played with it for a shortish period of time and I quite like it.
    In short, it has the largest sensor in a pocketable package and a useful zoom range although the aperture drops quickly as you zoom in. Whether its overkill for a non-photo enthusiast, I'm not sure.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are not into photography, then perhaps their smartphones (eg- iPhone, Galaxy etc...assuming they own one each) could be the best camera for them.

The pro's of this are:

+ They will already understand the camera (in this case, their phone) and how it works, so no further learning required. This means more time spent getting photos and no time spent with their faces in a manual.
    + Lightweight and saves space. Fits in your pocket!
    + Many app's are available to enhance the camera. Instagram is a very popular one.
    + Sharing photos is very easy while on the move travelling. Facebook is very easy to use for sharing photos. Simply create an album, upload photos into the album...too easy.
    + The image quality is great! Excellent for small group photos, capturing points of interest and so on.

Con's:

- The zoom feature on the phone is not great to use.

So...I recommend you save your money, or give them what you would have spent in camera money as travel money instead, who knows, they might get you something nice haha.
    Last edited by AVALANCHE; 10-02-2013 at 6:53pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recomend a P&S of any reputable make that has GPS. No fun looking at pics with no idea where it was taken.
    After a couple of weeks one place will look like the last one.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the GPS option is almost essential these days. A point and shoot will at least be with them when they're out and about. The DSLR will be back at the hotel. Get one with wide as well as zoom range. That will require some research.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon SX260HS ($200ish) or Panasonic DMC-LX7($300ish) .. if you want to give them a decent cheapish camera to shoot with.

Samsung Galaxy Camera(not phone!) if you want to give them a fun device to play with!

These were my choices(of present) a few months back, and I waited 3 months beyond my daughter's birthday to finally get the Samsung Galaxy.
    Even tho it doesn't produce the best image quality straight up, the fun she has with it more than makes up for it's slightly inferior IQ.

The Canon and Panasonic were primarily backup alternatives had the Samsung not arrived before Christmas(her birthday was in September, but she was happy to wait).

Canon G12/13/14 .. etc ... is also a lot more enthusiast orientated.

I never looked at the RX-100 but I've read that it's also quite capable. a lot more limited with its focal length compared to most compacts, but the lens is quite bright. A bit expensive tho.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son is also off to Europe for a couple of months this year and wanted a new camera, also not really into photography except for capturing memories. We bought him a Panasonic TZ30. It will fit comfortably in his pocket (one of his requirements) and has incredible zoom. He was frustrated on a previous trip to Africa with limited zoom, although not sure he'll need it as much in Europe. Has great reviews for a p&s.
    Glenda

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really appreciate everyones replies and ideas and thoughts.