Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Backdrops and light equipment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backdrops and light equipment

Hi everyone
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice for start up of a studio. I have been looking around and found a few places. eBay has some fairly cheap packages but not sure if its worth getting them as I don't know what the quality will be like. Should I be laying out more money to get a decent set up or just get a cheap kit that may or may not last but will be enough at least to begin with.
    Your thoughts would be great. I am thinking of getting a couple of backdrops to start with and a basis lighting step up. Not sure what I really need though. It will be for taking pet photos as well as babies and families.
    Thanks Court
    I have always been interested in photography (more as a hobby). Now I want to be more than just an amateur photographer, improve my skills and start my own business when the time is right. To help me do this, I would be greatful for any feedback positive or negative so I can improve my skills and knowledge

“To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” - Elliot Erwitt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Court,

I haven't bought anything nor do I have any experience with these kinds of setups. But I was looking into getting some cheap studio stuff a while ago. What I found out was.
    Cheap backdrop tear and crease easily. It's worth while spending a bit more on them.
    The backdrop stands can be fairly cheap (be careful about the cross bar as that may bend if it's too cheap)
    Continuous lighting setups are probably the way to go but you want to get reasonable quality ones as the light from cheap ebay ones tends to be a bit erratic. (unless you want to do more strobist stuff)
    Defusers and umbrellas can be cheaper but personally I would go $20 ones instead of $2 or $5 ones.

As far as lighting goes people often suggested
    Bowen Gemini or the Elinchrom BXRi
    Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is thread running at the moment that has alot of information about wether to get grey/cheap lighting gear or branded running on this very site right now:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...or-home-studio

I suggest having a good read through it.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg