Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exif data not embeded into some users photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question exif data not embeded into some users photos

Some photos posted here have no exif data, and as a newbie I find this information very enlightening. Why are some photos uploaded without data? Do we think it would be a good idea, to encourage users to include data in their photo files?

Secondly, is there a program, or forum add-on that would allow quick viewing of exif? I have been downloading the files to view, and then deleting.
    Thanks
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we do not demand members include it, it is personal choice. Some do, some don't.

It is entirely up to each member.

As for add-ons. They are browser based, so you need to find one for whatever browser you use.
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-02-2013 at 1:11pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, I will look for one that works with chrome.

edit: this does exactly what I wanted https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...anjggkmjapkffm
    Last edited by extraball; 09-02-2013 at 1:33pm.

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is a good one also , Used by many on this site : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...f-Viewer.shtml
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uploading to Flickr for some reason always deletes Exif data (at least it does for me).
    f o t o w o r x

People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Uploading to Flickr for some reason always deletes Exif data (at least it does for me).

EXIF should be available on Flickr at the 'original' size view only. As soon as you view or link to any of the non 'original' sizes, EXIF is not viewable.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add further to the confusion, some external sites, and even our own gallery doesn't allow addons to display exif data (either fully or even partially).

Exif data may be present in the image, but it may simply not be transferred to the addon/application via the web page.
    So in some cases, if you download the image to your PC, if the exif data is present your exif viewing software may read it correctly.

For local files I prefer to use PhotoMe beta, and while it's old and hasn't bee updated in years, it still displays most exif data correctly and (I think)in the easiest to read format.

If you do download images from any site, just be respectful of the ownership of those images.

I save any downloaded images to a temporary folder on a spare hdd, then read info I'm interested in, and delete ... or I'll clean out the folder or hdd on a regular basis.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My export settings from LR strip all the metadata, that's why mine won't show. I do it deliberately.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I do it deliberately.
    Why?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always leave mine on as I feel it helps Members.. So I don't save for the Web.. My Choice we are all different..
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    My export settings from LR strip all the metadata, that's why mine won't show. I do it deliberately.
    I'm with Andrew, WHY ? , I purposly leave mine , And I checked today , So does Dylan , Does'nt make sense to me

PS : sort of makes me Sus for some reason , I thought this site was about sharing
    Last edited by William; 09-02-2013 at 5:40pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My exif doesn't come out of lightroom and I dont know why. I don't have a choice, must be the default

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you export , Untick this box, You have to move the slider bar to see it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I respect that some people choose not display exif. But if people who would like to, and for some reason they are not, then maybe some good can come from this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I'm with Andrew, WHY ? , I purposly leave mine , And I checked today , So does Dylan , Does'nt make sense to me

PS : sort of makes me Sus for some reason , I thought this site was about sharing
    I like to remove body serial and I sometimes geo-tag, so I don't want everyone knowing where I have been and when. For any paying client, it removes the data that shows what settings were used to make the image. Removing this stuff individually is a PITA, so I just set Mogrify to strip it with a check of the box.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extraball View Post
    Some photos posted here have no exif data, and as a newbie I find this information very enlightening.
    "I really like how you've done ......... and find ....... interesting. What were the basic settings you used to achieve that?" could be a way of asking someone to supply the info you want. Have notice it's generally supplied when someone asks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    EXIF should be available on Flickr at the 'original' size view only. As soon as you view or link to any of the non 'original' sizes, EXIF is not viewable.
    My free Flickr account does not give an option of Orginal file size. I assume this is because it is a free account. I also assume that if you pay for the account you will get this option. I may be wrong but have not been able to post from Flickr to AP with any EXIF data. So i try to remember to add it in my blurb at the top of each post so that I can get CC.
    Cheers Kieran

Tamron 90 macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Cannon 50 f1.8, Cannon 18-55. Cannon 550D

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    My free Flickr account does not give an option of Orginal file size. I assume this is because it is a free account. I also assume that if you pay for the account you will get this option. I may be wrong but have not been able to post from Flickr to AP with any EXIF data. So i try to remember to add it in my blurb at the top of each post so that I can get CC.
    Its all there : http://www.flickr.com/photos/kieran6...in/photostream

you just need to work out how to access it. Maybe flickr have changed their site so that free accounts cannot display EXIF when linked anymore.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re Flickr and EXIF data:

1. EXIF data, if present in the original image, will be extracted and stored in Flickr's database.
    2. Flickr accounts have an option in the settings called 'Hide your EXIF data', which hides or shows a link to the EXIF data.
    3. From the original image uploaded, Flickr will generate other sizes, which do not contain the EXIF data.
    4. Users who have the option of downloading the original image (another configurable option) will be able to read the EXIF data in the image (if it was originally there).
    5. Users who download images of other sizes will not have access to the EXIF data, as it's not stored in the Flickr-genrated images.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo must say, he often looks at the EXIF data of some posted images to get useful information about the shot.
    Mongo has no worries at all about showing his EXIF data but unfortunately, it seems to be removed by virtue of the processes he seems to go through to post on AP.
    If Mongo ever discovers how to preserve it and post, he will.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast