User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

Thread: Comps for non winners?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comps for non winners?

A suggestion. Would it be posisble, every so often - maybe 6 times a year, to have a weekly comp, at each level, for those who have never won an AP comp?

I think it would be popular. Could be themed or open. Juat to give us 'also rans' a chance
    Last edited by Analog6; 09-02-2013 at 8:12am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We could do that, I will talk to the mods about the idea. Though people will need to remember that if they win, they might be upgraded to the next photographic experience level.

Interested in other members thoughts on this.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not!! I think 4 times a year (quarterly).

Also: Comp wins are hard. We have many thousands of entries and only a couple of hundred different winners.
    Even at a local camera club, we have 100-150 entries on a comp night, and 2 or 4 winners (depending on categories),
    I'm chuffed if I snag one or two images of the night / year.
    Last edited by Kym; 09-02-2013 at 9:50am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup ... excellent idea. I'm not big on comps at any time, but for those who do enter it can be daunting to go up against so many really good photographers. Maybe it should be not just for those who have never won, but for those who have entered and never won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea Odille, I agree with Bob, "Entered" and never won sounds fair
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea, as Bob said "for those who do enter it can be daunting to go up against so many really good photographers" It will give people that are not quite up to the standard of some of the photographers on the site a bit more of a chance of winning one or even getting into the finals (as that is hard enough in itself. In saying that I try to enter as many comps on here as time permits and to me the win would be a bonus but the experience that I have gained it what really matters
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really enjoying the comps. They give me something to focus on each week. Every time
    I have entered it has been a big improvement on my level of photography, ie I have been proud.

I am looking forward to making the top 4 one day.

I don't care about winning, but I do care about why I didn't win. Not to hijack a thread but what would be better then a win would be an advanced member discussing the competition entries. What made it a winner, what made the other ones not so good. That would e so valuable as a beginner.
    Cass
    I switched my camera off auto in November 2012, and I have been busy reading and learning and practicing ever since.
    My kit is basic: Canon 1000D (two kit lenses) + 50mm f/1.8 + a tripod/monopod + Lightroom4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alsocass View Post
    I am really enjoying the comps. They give me something to focus on each week. Every time
    I have entered it has been a big improvement on my level of photography, ie I have been proud.

I don't care about winning, but I do care about why I didn't win. Not to hijack a thread but what would be better then a win would be an advanced member discussing the competition entries. What made it a winner, what made the other ones not so good. That would e so valuable as a beginner.
    As it is just by member vote discussion by any single member would be irrelevant, unfiortunately. We do not have judges per se, We are the judges. I've been onhere 41/2 years and scored 1 final in all that time. I know I would love to win one and I think quarterly as kym suggested would be a great idea and encouraging for those who've never won.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you have a look at the winners announcement threads, we state:

We also would like to suggest that the winners post in this thread telling the other Ausphotography members a little about your photo. Maybe some details of the camera settings used, or what post processing you did. We are sure the members would love to know more about the background to the winning photo.

Whilst we cannot demand winners talk about their entry, we do request that they do, and often they oblige us with some great information about their winning photo.

You are also welcome to put your photo up for critique once a competition is over and ask members about voting, and your photo.
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-02-2013 at 1:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    As it is just by member vote discussion by any single member would be irrelevant, unfiortunately. We do not have judges per se, We are the judges. I've been onhere 41/2 years and scored 1 final in all that time. I know I would love to win one and I think quarterly as kym suggested would be a great idea and encouraging for those who've never won.
    I realise that it would the opinion of one 'judge' type person. I just often look hard at the entries, the top four, and the winners and wish I could discuss them with somebody. I wish I could hear somebody with understanding discuss the better points of the images. Not as a definitive opinion, just as an advanced opinion (obviously another advanced member might have a slightly different perspective).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    If you have a look at the winners announcement threads, we state:

We also would like to suggest that the winners post in this thread telling the other Ausphotography members a little about your photo. Maybe some details of the camera settings used, or what post processing you did. We are sure the members would love to know more about the background to the winning photo.

Whilst we cannot demand winners talk about their entry, we do request that they do, and often they oblige us with some great information about their winning photo.

You are also welcome to put your photo up for critique once a competition is over and ask members about voting, and your photo.
    Yeh, I love the cc section too. Lots to be learnt and I have been trying to put up one or two images a week (then applying what I have learnt etc). It kind of stops working with the really good pictures. Lots of people say "wow that looks nice" but very little dissection of the advanced images goes on. Gosh I would love to follow the thread of an advanced photo getting properly critiqued. Sorry I realise I am hijacking this thread.

This forum is amazing btw. I should stop talking and go take a photo!

ETA: I just realised I sound very contrary. I don't mean to. Lots of CC goes on and I am not arguing that it doesn't.
    Last edited by alsocass; 09-02-2013 at 1:51pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed the Anonymous Critic when he/she was on the scene. I learned a lot by reading their reaction to a photo and especially to mine. I think that a comp for non winners is a terrific idea and I`m all for it.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, I love the cc section too. Lots to be learnt and I have been trying to put up one or two images a week (then applying what I have learnt etc). It kind of stops working with the really good pictures. Lots of people say "wow that looks nice" but very little dissection of the advanced images goes on. Gosh I would love to follow the thread of an advanced photo getting properly critiqued. Sorry I realise I am hijacking this thread.
    I'm hijacking this thread also. (Sorry Odille, but since there's a few ideas around here!)
    We have the New to Photography CC (Beginners).
    Maybe a forum "Advanced Photography CC." Allows advanced CC on obviously good photographs, and some of us less skilled could be encouraged to simply ask question to learn.
    Not sure how or if it would work. But
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i say hell yeh, i never enter but id love the chance to win
    I've done so many things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting. ~Moe, The Simpsons

http://Grae-and-co-images.com/

canon 5dmk 2, some lenses, a couple of sticks to hold them up, a thing that make sun at night, and a sense of adventure