User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Upcoming Photo of the Week themes (Feb/Mar 2013)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Upcoming Photo of the Week themes (Feb/Mar 2013)

Whilst we previously announced the February themes, we are now announcing the March 2013 Photo of the Week themes.

We will be doing this for SOME competitions throughout 2013, as we want to encourage members to go out and shoot an entry for the competitions specifically, rather than looking through your archives and choosing one from months/years ago.

So the February themes again:

The Love series
    Sun 3rd Feb - Open competition
    Sun 10th Feb - Affection
    Sun 17th Feb -Open competition
    Sun 23rd Feb - The food of Love

And now for the March:

The Sensor series
    Sun 3rd Mar - Red
    Sun 10th Mar - Green
    Sun 17th Mar - Blue
    Sun 24th Mar -Monochrome
    Sun 31st Mar - Open competition

You are welcome to discuss the themes in this thread, but please do not discuss your specific plans in relation to your entry for any of the competitions.

Remember, we are providing these themes in advance to encourage you to go out and take a NEW PHOTO for entry, rather than using one from your archives.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea!! Great for thinking outside my usual shots and great for practice
    Never give up, never, never, never....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you explain what 'sensor' series means (for the beginners). Does it require special equipment, or is it just something that we can interpret any way that we want?
    Cass
    I switched my camera off auto in November 2012, and I have been busy reading and learning and practicing ever since.
    My kit is basic: Canon 1000D (two kit lenses) + 50mm f/1.8 + a tripod/monopod + Lightroom4

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alsocass View Post
    Could you explain what 'sensor' series means (for the beginners). Does it require special equipment, or is it just something that we can interpret any way that we want?
    The sensor in your camera captures three colours Red Green Blue, So we decided to use that as a theme. Just as a theme might be water, where we leave it to you to decide how water is going to be part of your entry, the theme for these will be Red, Green or Blue and you need to consider that colour when taking and choosing your entry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard task master
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post
    Hard task master

If you think this is hard, wait till later in the year... a hint, how would you photograph : Consciousness

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Remember, we are providing these themes in advance to encourage you to go out and take a NEW PHOTO for entry, rather than using one from your archives.
    I enjoy attempting to capture a new theme related photograph for the comps. It helps me think about what I am doing.
    Ray
    60D 5Diii

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think this is hard, wait till later in the year... a hint, how would you photograph : Consciousness
    I would enjoy this challenge. I'm over the Valentine theme for February, too many babies and mums - nice as they are, no disrespect intended, cheers Deb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great ideas here, makes the comp more of a challenge. Strictly speaking though we should mark down entries that don't meet the criteria when we vote. I know I do.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Canon 5DMkII, Panasonic GF1 and a few other bits and bobs
    My SmugMug

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Looking forward to March then.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    I would enjoy this challenge. I'm over the Valentine theme for February, too many babies and mums - nice as they are, no disrespect intended, cheers Deb
    That's funny. I have been enjoying all the mum and baby photos. Though i can already see how themes like this (be it "affection" or "consciousness") greatly challenge the members who have favourite genres which don't easily lend themselves to the theme (if that makes sense). Ie I imagine it would be a challenge for a landscape photographer to take a photo for the "affection" theme. Not saying impossible, just that i imagine that it might be more challenging the usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolie21 View Post
    Some great ideas here, makes the comp more of a challenge. Strictly speaking though we should mark down entries that don't meet the criteria when we vote. I know I do.
    I do too.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alsocass View Post
    That's funny. I have been enjoying all the mum and baby photos. Though i can already see how themes like this (be it "affection" or "consciousness") greatly challenge the members who have favourite genres which don't easily lend themselves to the theme (if that makes sense). Ie I imagine it would be a challenge for a landscape photographer to take a photo for the "affection" theme. Not saying impossible, just that i imagine that it might be more challenging the usual.
    If you have babies and/or Mums to take photos of, then Affection is an easy topic to tackle. I have really enjoyed the images from members who chose to depict Affection in a different way - thinking outside the square, taking the difficult option and entering a great image. Big to those members from me, cheers Deb

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the theme for these will be Red, Green or Blue and you need to consider that colour when taking and choosing your entry.
    I'd suggest that if you want this to be about the colour the theme should be expressed as "the colour blue", 'the colour red", etc. Just "blue" for example has many connotations. Just a small point but makes it clearer when entering and voting.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the fact that the theme hasn't been given an exact definition as an exciting and challenging idea. It is up to the entrant to define the meaning of the competition title. I'm having wrist surgery on Wednesday and may not be able to handle a camera for several weeks but the ideas for shots have formed already. Keeps the mind active
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    I'd suggest that if you want this to be about the colour the theme should be expressed as "the colour blue", 'the colour red", etc. Just "blue" for example has many connotations. Just a small point but makes it clearer when entering and voting.

Cheers.
    It will be entirely up to you. Interpret the theme how you want, but remember that your fellow AP members are voting on your entry, thus if you make it to obscure, you may find the meaning is lost on some voters and your entry not getting as high marks as you would have hoped.

Also remember that we are having these themes under a 'mini series' heading. For the colour ones they are under 'The sensor series', which is where we got the RGB from. So people may be expecting to vote on entries related to the colour, not the emotive meaning of the word Blue. However the mods and I are not going to be the adjudicators on these comps, unless something really obscure gets entered and then we ask the member how their entry fits the theme before deciding on a course of action for that entry. It really is up to each of you to interpret the theme with your entry. If someone entered a photo under Blue that related to an alternate meaning and it was brilliantly done, I personally would vote it highly, but not every voter might. Makes it hard to know what to enter, but that is part of the fun of the competitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have babies and/or Mums to take photos of, then Affection is an easy topic to tackle. I have really enjoyed the images from members who chose to depict Affection in a different way - thinking outside the square, taking the difficult option and entering a great image. Big to those members from me, cheers Deb
    Yes. This is what I mean. I both enjoy seeing photos of mums&babies (a change from landscapes and wildlife which I see a lot of), and I also can see how much of a challenge that theme must be to people who don't have ready access to obvious interpretations of affection (ie Mums & babes, couples).

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. This is what I mean. I both enjoy seeing photos of mums&babies (a change from landscapes and wildlife which I see a lot of), and I also can see how much of a challenge that theme must be to people who don't have ready access to obvious interpretations of affection (ie Mums & babes, couples).

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    I'm having wrist surgery on Wednesday and.......
    Red comes to mind!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my thoughts are that if people can only think of mums and bubs when a theme like affection is up, then those people need to open their minds to alternative ideas. Isolating your interpretation of a word to one meaning is stifling your photographic creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mis-read something..
    Last edited by Warren Ackary; 30-09-2013 at 9:09pm.