Thread: Safe sale advise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe sale advise

Just wanting to know the best way to go about selling my gear. I know ebay and gumtree plus the sponsored site I would appreciate some feed back on these methods .Is there some where else the members could recommend.
    Cheers Mark
    Nikon D600 tamron 24-70 2.8 50 1.4 K5 Da70 Da 40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet for probability of sale is ebay as it has the larger audience, and buyers get Paypal protection when paying via Paypal, so it makes it a less risky scenario for them. With that said, it is also the most costly to you the seller. Gumtree and Camera Market are free, but less exposure. As they are free it doesn't hurt to advertise there.

Face to face is the best of all, cash is king and there is no risk or Paypal disputes later.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be wary of being the SELLER on eBay, it's very much all in favour of the buyer if they want to dick you around.......and they have 30 days to do it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly ebay is set up for the buyer, that's where their market is held. Seller pay the fees irrespective of whether the transaction is happy, unsold or otherwise.

I have bought and sold lots of gear on ebay and through this and other forums. I've also purchased a huge amount of other items on ebay since 2003 or so.

From experience, getting exposure it the key to getting the greatest interest in your item and the market price, thus having international buyers available gives you that option. You will need to stipulate which suspect countries you choose eliminate from sale. Countries with poor postal services seem to be the ones ebay highlights as ones to avoid.

Only in recent occasions have we had issues with buyers on ebay taking the winning bid and then either not paying for it (thus not sell). With a recent lens sale, one idiot made the purchase and then got buyers guilt and decided he didn't want to pay for it, I then alerted the next in line. After a polite email exchange to the original winning bid holder he did purchase the lens. Else it the second place holder was willing to buy it.

Essentially, I have found international forums and ebay to be the best points of sale from personal experience. Good communication all the way will help.

It you are selling, it's a very good idea to accompany some really good images of your product that you have taken your self.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the Camera Market is a good place to start, It may not have the exposure of some of the bigger sites, but it is exposed to photographers. (Ie Qualified Buyers)

Out of curiosity, what gear are you thinking of selling?
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to breech the rules of the forum Greg check my post in camera Market

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job mate. Don't listen to me, I will send you down the dark path!