User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Problem with TPG/ADSL dropping out.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with TPG/ADSL dropping out.....

Hi.....just lately my router (Billion ADSL) keeps dropping out. 4 or 5 times today so I`m getting pi...sed off. It seems that and I may be wrong or imagining this, when I go to check internet bank balance etc, turn on the speakers etc, it drops out. It`s been dropping out for 6-8 weeks but mostimes it can go a week or a couple of days etc without doing it. I have replaced the phone line to it, etc and no difference. I may need a new router? I just don`t know. So, is anybody else having similar trouble with TPG?
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are no where near your location but we are not having any problems with TPG ADSL2+ using an very old D-Link modem attached to a D-Link wireless router. When it has been on for a few days in a row, we may have to reboot the router but even that is rarely needed.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does the router have a reset button? Start again!
    Not that I've got a clue really.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could maybe try updating the firmware...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sometimes have trouble with our ancient (c. 2005-6) D-Link modem/router dropping out, especially if it has been on for a long time (6-10 hours....have a habit of turning it on and then not bothering to turn it off until I go to bed), but it is not TPGs fault. Never had any problems with TPG and I have been using them for about 10 years now...since the days of the new high speed 256kb/ps ADSL (currently ADSL2+ 'off-net').
    Sounds more like a router problem to me and while I am not a fan of upgrading firmware, fillum might have a point, although I doubt that doing this will fix the problem as this would only be of benefit if there had been 'changes' to something in the (TPG) system.
    Personally I would be inclined to beg, borrow or steal another router for a period for 'testing' purposes!
    Last edited by wanderer51; 06-02-2013 at 12:28am.
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Graeme, I don't use TPG and I endorse the idea of borrowing a router to use and see if it is indeed the router. When I had a similar problem it was due to corrosion on the terminals of the landline where it meets the house. I live in a coastal area and corrosion is a common problem, even for those of us 1km inland. My problems used to be more severe on windy days, it drove me nuts (until a proper repair man was sent out), because I was share trading at the time and my ADSL was on and off like a yo-yo once the afternoon sea breeze sprang up!

I see you live in Newcastle and if your broadband is coming in via an external landline, it may be worth checking this out, cheers Deb

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try joining whirlpool and then using the TPG forum to ask a question. Sometimes the tpg rep responds.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone. I might borrow another router and give that a try. My router is less than 2 yrd old..wireless-G ADSL.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your router also have a cable socket? You could try running 'hard-wired' for a while to see if the issue still occurs. Might point to a problem on the wireless side of things?

Cheers.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks f...that`s a thought. Might try that.