User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34

View Poll Results: Would you pay an competition entry fee, with the total fees going to charity?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would enter one of these competition

28 54.90%
  • No - I prefer to give to charities by other methods

20 39.22%
  • No - This is not something I would be interested in

2 3.92%
  • Yes - It is a great idea, but I probably would not enter

1 1.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay to enter an AP competition, if the entry fee was going to charity?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Would you pay to enter an AP competition, if the entry fee was going to charity?

I am interested in members opinions here.

If we ran an occasional (3-4 times a year max) photography competition with an entry fee of say $5.00, where every single cent of the entry fees collected was then donated to charity, would you enter?

We probably would only be looking at national charities, like the cancer council, SIDS, etc rather than some of the smaller location specific charities (unless we were convinced of a good reason to look at a location based one).

So, over to you, do you think this is a good idea and would you enter?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't hesitate to enter a couple of times a year for the money to go to a good charity
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never entered a comp before, but I think it's a very good idea. Charities struggle for every dollar they get.

Very worthwhile and a great idea.
    f o t o w o r x

People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent idea Rick. $5 a comp a couple of times a year is only 3 cups of coffee.
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    An excellent idea Rick. $5 a comp a couple of times a year is only 3 cups of coffee.
    Agree, totally a good idea......but where do you buy your coffee!!!! Our coffee shop in town is $6.30 for a muggachino....they must think I'm a mug!!!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea for these reasons
    • It helps raise awareness of the chosen charity
    • It helps bring AP together as a community
    • The images I presume would the themed to the charity, maybe the top 12 would be used for a calendar by that charity
    • It would be fun
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. I'd be happy to participate.

Canon user and abuser.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, but I probably wouldn't enter owing to other volunteer commitments and donations.
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Ausphotography Regular fenderstrat1963's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under those conditions, it sounds like a great idea. I've only entered a couple of competitions, but it would be good motivation for a good cause
    Steve

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would enter, that a terrific idea
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough question. I give in other ways, so I would find it a bit annoying (only in because paying online can be annoying sometimes), but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it (competitions are fun).
    Cass
    I switched my camera off auto in November 2012, and I have been busy reading and learning and practicing ever since.
    My kit is basic: Canon 1000D (two kit lenses) + 50mm f/1.8 + a tripod/monopod + Lightroom4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't enter, probably because I prefer to give in my own way, choose my own charity to support (mainly via Pinfest). Certainly a great idea, allthough 5 dollars maybe too much for some members, and it would be a shame if they missed-out.
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

My friends call me Dave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was working a lot of my change went to the Make a wish foundation tins. I have experienced Leukemia through my step Daughter Natasha, No doubt we all have our chosen Charities but how about a Poll to chose one! Either way I would be happy to enter
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 01-02-2013 at 7:34pm.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, I like the idea. I feel Kym's on the sort of track that I'd be happy about. The reasons being:

1. I like the calendar idea. It's pretty easy to organise calendars via Cafe Press, Zazzle etc, so the Charity gets donations and an item to sell (they do the organising). For the 12/13 images that are ranked, the AP members could be credited. We have members who produce awesome images. For some of the younger guns looking to get a start, this is an opportunity. For the older and settled, it's still a great thing to achieve. Having said that, the top 12/13 would also be donating the image, and would have to be comfortable about that (or maybe it's for a one off use). This then fits in well with the large National charities, they'd have the nouse to organise a calendar etc. I do feel the comp would have to be themed, that's important.

2. It doesn't just have to be about calendars, it could be postcards, Xmas cards etc. Obviously the whole copyright thing would have to be investigated and negotiated.

3. I agree, it would be about the AP community getting together for a common cause, also, it would get AP's name out there and people may join because there our profile is raised and we are seen to be 'good people', which we are

4. Yes, it would be fun and I'd like to see plenty of discussion about the theme and brainstorming of ideas of what/how to shoot. Perhaps entries could be from individuals, groups or pairs - we have the internet, geography doesn't have to prevent like minded photographers from communally producing a photo.

So, the competitions need to be limited to a certain number per year, to make them special. They need to be themed and therefore need a good lead in time so people have time to reflect/discuss/brainstorm upon what they might shoot for the comp. This process could generate a lot of learning and participation. Also, the big charities have newsletters, so I can see some free advertising for AP being generated there.

As to donating, I'm a golfer, I play several club events every year where we donate money to a charity, so another $20 isn't going to break the bank (yet!)

So, great idea , cheers Deb

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Calendar idea to work, we would need to involve the charity beyond a simple fund raiser.
    I.e. their fund raising staff would need to be on board

My friends call me Dave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the Disaster fund could do with some support right Now I suppose thats more physical than money though!
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 01-02-2013 at 8:08pm.

Ausphotography Veteran yummymummy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't hesitate. For me, it's all about the giving back, at the moment, I'm running an auction on my fb page, all money raised to go to the disaster relief fund. count me in!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure paying to enter would raise much money from us APers to matter much for any major organisation helping people.
    However, the ability to use free, any of our photos entered in a prescribed comp. may save them some $$$.
    With that in mind, maybe it doesn't have to be a comp. then. Choose a worthwhile charity and ask APers to submit photos that charity can use how they wish. Using some of our photos somehow may allow them to create more money than we could raise for them. It could be a calendar, it could be someone (or more) submits a photo that helps advertise and fund raise for that charity.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    For the Calendar idea to work, we would need to involve the charity beyond a simple fund raiser.
    I.e. their fund raising staff would need to be on board
    Not necessarily, my Italian Greyhound forum produces a calendar every year using Zazzle. One member takes on the task of collecting, collating and organising the photos (we have multiples per month), uploads the final work to Zazzle and then members buy the Calendar via Zazzle.

So in this case I would see the work flow being:
    1. Have comp and choose top 12/13 - with the understanding that the image could be used (once ?) for a calendar.
    2. Charity is then in charge of images, so, that's one per month and perhaps the optional January for the following year. AP ensures that appropriate credit is attached to said images.
    3. Charity uses the Calendar template of their choice on Zazzle, Cafe Press or whoever, to organise the calendar. Prior to final draft, they check with either AP or the owners of the images that the credits are correct.
    4. Charity then advertises through their usual channels that the calendar is for sale via - insert Zazzle, Cafe Press, etc:, here - . People who want to buy the Calendar do so, on-line using PayPal or whatever, calendar is delivered to their door.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    4. Charity then advertises through their usual channels that the calendar is for sale via - insert Zazzle, Cafe Press, etc:, here - . People who want to buy the Calendar do so, on-line using PayPal or whatever, calendar is delivered to their door.
    "Charity then advertises through their usual channels that the calendar is for sale via ..." saying thanks to AP for the use of members photos.
    Apers then take it upon themselves to also sell calenders in their local communities.
    But surely when Marthy takes a brilliant photo related to any chosen charity they can raise much more money than calenders when it's used in a national advertising campaign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast