User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Cheap tripod for travel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap tripod for travel

So i am going on a month long Europe holiday this year and i have decided that i would like to take a tripod for those night shots of cities.

I'm not after anything fancy or expensive or heavy. Even something 2nd hand as it will be just for this trip and even future trips. I dont want to spend a heap of money, not sure on price range but maybe under $100.

What i am wondering is if anyone has any recommendations of tripods which are light, cheap, and reliable. I have done a search and alot of the recommendations are a gorilla pod or monopod.

I'm not too keen on a gorilla pod because, well i dont want to have it wrapped around something only for something to go wrong and i drop my camera from the top of the Eiffel Tower!

Any ideas would be of great help, but as it is i am thinking of just going to a camera shop and finding a reasonably priced, light tripod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright I've got a Gorillapod and a Benro Travel Angel (carbon fibre one) and I'd say the Travel Angel would be more useful. You can buy them in an aluminium version but not sure what the price point is at but maybe around $150? All I can say is the Benro stuff is good quality. They fold up very small and are almost a full size tripod.

Security wise when i use the Gorillapod I either keep the camera strap around my neck when using, or just twist the strap around my wrist so I can't drop it.

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not kidding ! A monopod is the best. A Gitzo or Manfrotto. In Florence (It.) churches do not allow tripods.
    Paris, Praque, Athens......the monopod is also to scare off the pickpockets, ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI the travel angel's have a leg that can detach to be a monopod as well. So you'd get both for one item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay have a cheaper Manfrotto tripod that's only about $70

It has a cheapie ball head that's a bit dicky to use, but seems quite sturdy and is also light.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANFROTTO...item416c256070

This is a different tripod but quite similar.

Pros: Cheap, light

Downfalls: No good in portrait position, ball head is too small, restricted by weight if you're using any decent lenses or larger bodies.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one i am looking at getting.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Benro-A16...item56521583af

It seems to be fairly compact, light and can support about 4kg which i think should be fine for my Nikon D60 and tamron 18-200.
    Anyone had one of these and had any issues, or can see any potential issues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I was told by airport security that monopods are not allowed in hand luggage cause they could be used as a weapon. No problem with tripods. Go figure!
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70