User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Custom baffle for Lee SW150 system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom baffle for Lee SW150 system

I recently upgraded to a D800E and 14-24 along with the Lee SW150 filter system. I previously used the standard lee system, which could handle three filters without any issues. The SW150 has problems with reflections when using multiple filters, due to the large open areas at the sides where light has no trouble getting in behind the filters. Lee recommend using no more than 2 filters with the sw150.

Here is an example of the reflection issue:

Here's a pic of the supplied baffle system:

http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...74352-0014.jpg

I've been working on a better baffle system that doesn't allow any stray light to get in behind the filters. This is just a prototype so its a bit rough, I just used materials that I had lying around. Once I've finalised the design I'll look at getting it laser cut from aluminium and black anodized to match the holder.

The main bit is 8mm mdf, with 3mm soft foam attached to the front:

I used a bit of rope to fill in the gap at the back:

With a filter inserted:

I added a third slot to the holder, I took it off my standard filter holder. The longer screws can be hard to find, the thread is different to the standard holder.

I've tested it with 2x 3 stop and 1x2 stop filters stacked, which has no reflection problems. Hitech make a 10 stop filter to suit this holder but I dont have it yet to test but I'm confident it will work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hakka, you've done a stella job! Thanks for sharing.
    I too have this wonderful lens but mounted on my D700, it takes incredible images. I have also been looking at filter options and *removed- please read site rules 3-7*. This is specifically for the 14-24 and comes with many filters (round and rectangular) including a polarizer. It's a bit over $1200 and if you try hard enough anything can be justified! My second camera body will be the D800 so I am looking forward to seeing what this combo is capable of.

Thanks again for sharing.
    BELLY.
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-02-2013 at 12:21pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've heard a few stories about this lens/lee filter combination not being great. Looks like you've found a perfect DIY solution to the problem.

Well done, now patent it before Apple does! (tongue in cheek, don't take offence fanboys!)
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent work around a problem and review of your efforts Lincoln. Thanks for sharing that one.

I am about 2% into a DIY project of adapting a Cokin X Pro holder to a Tokina 16-28 lens and I might "borrow" a few of your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    Well done, now patent it before Apple does! (tongue in cheek, don't take offence fanboys!)
    Brilliant.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPL to fit sw150:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Circular.html

It's 4mm thick so these guide rails are required:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_for_4mm.html

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!

I have the same Lee filter system and it has been a bit of a bugbear for me about extraneous light getting in behind the filter. Thank you for the tips!

Is the 14-24 the only lens that seems to allow light to get into it from behind you. It's just amazing how this lens can get flare almost from behind you!! Other than that, it is a gem of a lens.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hakka, thanks for sharing. A top solution there

I've been wondering if the Hitech Lucroit design is better than the Lee?
    The rails run the full length of the filter, so will prevent some light getting in

http://www.formatt.co.uk/showimage.aspx?id=wf3000000682

I have been wanting for a while to put filters on my Sigma 14mm/2.8, but amusingly, the holder plus filters would exceed the value of the camera & lens combined, so it is in my "utter futility" basket for now.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post

I've been wondering if the Hitech Lucroit design is better than the Lee?
    The rails run the full length of the filter, so will prevent some light getting in
    I think the Lucroit filter holder design is better than the Lee holder, but the Lee filters are much better than the hitech filters, otherwise I would have gone with the hitech system.

There are also more options available from other manufacturers for the 150mm Lee holder, there are a lot of video filters in that size such as the polarizer linked a few posts earlier.