User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Lens for D600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens for D600

I am looking for a new lens for my D600, would the AFS 24- 85 G VR be a good all round type lens for landscapes?
    Also has anyone bought from eglobal and their experiences?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For landscapes I would go wider. Consider something like a Nikon 17-35 or even the Sigma 12-24.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 24-85 is cheap, but for most landscape situations, it's a bit long(focal length).

Another cheap(ish) option for wide landscapes is the venerable 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 which, whilst not a great lens by any means, can be useful.

Options for other 18-xx(x) lenses for full frame Nikon are very thin on the ground, both from other manufacturers and Nikon themselves.

I've had this 18-35mm Nikon lens a long time ago, but had to give it back to my ex, which wasn't a problem as it really wasn't a great lens .. but it was a cheap alternative where no others exist.

I won't pay over $400 for this lens, but I have been wanting a temporary widey until I can finalise my finances and work out exactly how much I have to spare on a new toy.

I've only mentioned this lens as it is an option, and it is the cheapest Nikon lens that is more suited as a landscape lens.
    This is not to say you can't capture landscapes at 24mm or more! You certainly can do that, but in general, you probably want a wide vista point of view.

There is the Tokina 17-35 f/4 which is a full frame lens. I only mention it because it's an option. How well it works, I have no idea. Price is closer to your $400ish as opposed to the $1K plus of the Nikon lenses.

I'm positive that in the near future Nikon will address this lack of Nikon options for wide Fx lenses in the 18-xx(x) range. D600 is going to be a higher volume seller for them than they've previously had in the Fx market(digital) ... so it makes sense that they will try to capitalise on this with more (and cheaper) options in this lens segment.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon options;

AF-S 14-24/2.8G - $1670
    AF-S 17-35/2.8 - $1249
    AF-S 16-35/4G VR - $1250

All prices from eglobal website. They are fine to deal with. use the links from here to support Ausphotography when you buy, it doesn't cost you any extra.

You could get a cheaper prime, but not quite as wide as the starting end of the zooms I mentioned above, and they are somewhat limiting compared to a UWA zoom.

There are 3rd party options as well, however I have no experience with them. I don't think any 3rd party option will be as good as a Nikkor from a image quality point, but most all 3rd party options will save you some $.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

I'm positive that in the near future Nikon will address this lack of Nikon options for wide Fx lenses in the 18-xx(x) range. D600 is going to be a higher volume seller for them than they've previously had in the Fx market(digital) ... so it makes sense that they will try to capitalise on this with more (and cheaper) options in this lens segment.

LOL! sooner than I expected, which is a welcome surprise .. and much needed.

The new AF-S 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 from Nikon

Specs look ok according to their own testing optical formula is different to the old lens(yay!) which I never liked too much.
    Hopefully a cheapish alternative to what's currently out there, which isn't a lot.

I've been looking to a 16-35/4 VR as my most usable option for landscape lens on Fx, but the corner quality at 16mm has always put me off(otherwise I'd already have one!)

My guess is that this new lens will be the one to get now. Hopefully it'll be priced reasonably(~$600 tops!) in short time.
    (I've just noticed that it's estimated at $750, which is what I paid for my old 18-35mm about 15 years ago!) .. so after 15 years, $750 is not too bad I suppose)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, the new one looks good arthurking.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I reckon it should come up trumps .. well I'm hoping for it too!

It's seems hard to fault the performance of almost any modern Nikon lens with digital imaging nowadays. Some lenses have their weak spots here and there, but on the whole, they're generally excellent.

My only concern with Nikon branded lenses(in fact a lot of their stuff) is value for money .. as there is usually other alternatives that show them up with better value products.

Hoping this one is a good one, with a decent price.