User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

Looking for a medium walk around zoom for my D700. Love a 24-70 2.8 but funds will simply not allow it at this stage. Read a few good reports on the above lens. Can pick it up for $440 del grey. Anyone here have one and can share their experience with it? Or should I be looking at something else?
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, looks like this lens must be too new. Surprising, as its the kit lens for the D600, I would have thought there'd be a few around. I think for the money, I might as well jump in and be the guinea pig

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are happy to have 15mm less at the long end but a faster constant aperture I would investigate the Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 at similar prices.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew, I did look at the Sigma, but it is $250 dearer and this is really a "tweeny" lens until funds allow the Nikon 24-70 2.8.

I have just read quite a few tests on both the Sigma and the Nikon. I am really leaning toward the Nikon. The VR is apparently exceptional and seems to make up for the aperture difference. The IQ seems marginal between the lenses. Both very sharp at the centre with that dropping off slightly toward the corners. AF speed again seems marginal. All things considered equal, the $ saving, VR and the fact it's a Nikon lens lead me to believe the 24-85 VR is for me.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 the original pro before the 24-70f/2.8,28/70 f/2.8 and its a bargain and just as good and once I get this sling off my shoulder I plan to put up some examples.
    Not to be under rated but a worthy choice

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks cupric. I did actually consider this lens, but 2 things have stopped me. I really wanted 24mm at the wide end. Also, I'm a bit paranoid about buying one of these lenses as they are getting quite old now and to be sure of its condition, I'd need to fine one locally which hasn't happened in 3 months of looking.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my copy from the US ebay which due to its age really looks the part.I will endeavor to give a good shake down as it comes with a 3mth return policy.
    So it will give me the feel of pro gear while I sill practicing

cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much bloody info on this ere Interweb thingy. I am now considering either the Nikon 24 2.8 or the 35 2 and 35-70 2.8 again!! I can't make my mind up. All 4 lenses that I'm considering get good reviews. Just wish I could afford the 24-70 2.8 and be done with it. Anyone know where I could sell a kidney?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just used a 16.0-85.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 with my D7000 on a recent 3 month trip to Europe, light, quality images, versatile and more than adequate for my needs. If anything I would have liked a little more on the wide end when photographing inside Cathedrals and some Palace rooms. Will take it again but won't forget the CPL next time.