Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sth East Qld Flooding and Tornados ..... Stay safe everyone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sth East Qld Flooding and Tornados ..... Stay safe everyone

Thinking of all the Aper's that reside down there .... My thoughts are with you through this frightening & dreadful time.
    Stay safe as possible
    Cargo

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thread Cargo.

I also wish all AP members stay safe and come through this with minimal damage to property.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here at Currumbin we've had 74.4mm , Max wind gust so far of 78km/h http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/so...oast/currumbin , It's windy though
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Regular Visitor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had 130mm of rain here so far at Broadwater with gusts up to 50k's, but still more to come overnight as the main part is not quite here yet
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's wild here at Terranora. The wind is screaming round the house and through every crack (didn't realise we had so many!) sounds like the Perfect Storm movie soundtrack. And the rain is flooding in under the windows of our eastern glassed in verandah - always does with a nor'easter, luckily we don't get them very often.

In the night I heard Warwick's drink cans that he squashes for recycling being sucked out of the big bale they are stored in and scuttling off - and it is on the sheltered side of the house and the bale was only 1/3 full, so they were well down.

Lots of other bumps and clunks in the night, each one accompanied by a startled "waouw" from Honey the Siamese cat, who hid under the sheets with me most of the night. She doesn't like it AT ALL.

I see Mt Stapylton radar has succumbed, so no Doppler reading but I'd say, from yesterday, it's been 70-90kph most of the night.

I'll have even deeper sympathy for anyone who endures a Cyclone after this!

And no photo excursion this morning, no way I'd go out in the van in this wind, it would be like trying to drive a brick if the wind was side on.

Here is Snapper pano from yesterday morning, about 9.25 - the join was weird so I had to do a bit of jiggery pokery and cutover to get it looking reasonable, note this is NOT a work of art, it;s just to show conditions. I was home by lunchtime and we are well battened down.

snapper-storm-pano-27-jan.jpg

Pt Danger seas through the windscreen about 15 mins later
    pt-danger_I7U9276.jpg
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sympathies are with all you folk. The sun's shining here.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the wind has been relentless over night though thankfully the rain has eased, the neighbour's gum tree came to rest on our roof overnight, a rather gentle landing thanks to another smaller tree so no damage to speak of. The wind has shifted it overnight so there is more of it in the tree rather than on the roof. As Odille said its still a howling wind here on the Tweed today and I'm not going out, lots of green debris still sailing thru the air with the wind gusts. They say it should begin to ease this afternoon. I think Ill leave the cleaning up till then at least......maybe tomorrow
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit damp here. About 250mm yesterday and still raining and windy. Be nice if it stopped and I could get some photos.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    600mm in parts of far north Queensland in 24 hours when it came through last week.
    Last edited by wideangle; 28-01-2013 at 12:31pm.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of all you guys up there in QLD, it sounds horrible Stay safe, cheers Deb

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

I'm inland of Port Macquarie for a week of bushwalks etc

The place I'm at has had 350mm of rain in the gauge from Thursday lunch to Monday lunchtime & we're flooded in -
    the creek crossing out of here has gone from 300mm to 700mm deep and the running water is too fast for most 4wd's & our motorhome to even attempt

There's 50mm of water across the campground, running away into the local creek; the swiming pool at the campground has risen by 150mm since we arrived and is now overflowing.

I've tried for some images of it all, but the camera & I get soaked to the skin after only 5 minutes - so it gets easier to stay indoors and just look

Here's a local creek behind my van - it & 1/2-dozen feeds into the main creek that I and others here have to cross to get out ...

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil, I know this is not for CC, but that's a nice capture, maybe needs the foreground levels adjusting Now! You stay safe, please , cheers Deb
    Last edited by Mathy; 29-01-2013 at 1:37am. Reason: Spelling/Grammar

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The power came on last night at 8.30pm after being off since 1pm.

THANK YOU COUNTRY ENERGY CREWS - A BIG GOLD STAR FOR YOU!!

We dined by candle and gas light on smoked slamon and pasta - not too much of a hardship! The bar fridge was awash so I dried that out, it needed defrosting anyway.

Two branches down, the water keeps coming in under the windows, all the furniture is rearranged so we can put towels on the puddles, the corner of the verandah fell off, most of the avocados have been blown off the trees - but hey, we were dry, fed and have a roof over our heads. Wind gusts have been 140kph and it was STILL howling round the house when I finally dropped off round 10pm.

Our landlord lives in the other house on the property, and we met amidst the chaos of rain and gales on the road this afternoon, when he said they lived through Cyclone Yasi and the rain here has been heavier, which surprised me. And he said our winds are nearly as bad. So much for the EX part of TC Oswald.

So for those to the south, I'll say it again.

STAY INSIDE, STAY OUT OF WATER, TAKE INSIDE OR TIE DOWN LOOSE OBJECTS, STORE SOME WATER, GET ALTERNATIVE COOKING MEANS IF YOU CAN.

If you have gas bottles get them filled NOW. And keep your phones on charge so if you lose power you can still communicate.

Good luck!

We have awoken this morning (Tuesday) to the sounds of silence - blissful. Then a kooka chrus and more birdsong. Still very damp and misty here and if the sun comes out today the humidity will be very high but thank heavens the howling wind has gone.

And the sun is put - yip yip yippee.

Since the 21st, when I stared recording this as an 'event' in my rainfall spreadsheet, we have had 198mm of rain not counting the 9am this morning read. It is a bit of an under-record as our guage has slipped and was being blocked from the north a bit, Warwick fixed it Sun morning.

looking east
    tues-east-P1100227.jpg

looking north east (through glass)
    tues-noreastP1100232.jpg

Looking noreast - through very diry glass
    yues-north-P1100231.jpg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Millions of tonnes of water sucked through Oswald and deposited all over Qld and Northern NSW. The power of nature. Got folks up here whinging that their mobiles and internet went out for 24hrs. Some graphic flood images here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CQ-Fl...41812715875433

By all accounts the rain got heavier as it went past here. 600mm falls in 24 hrs behind the Gold Coast. All that water has to go somewhere.

It is back to hot here already. 35 degrees yesterday, 37 degrees today.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do hope everyone is Ok in Qld and NSW..

Our Power came back a little while ago, 44-45 hours without it, I did not mind no Internet, no tv, no radio the first day, no phone the first day, trying to cook the food on a one burner gas bottle, I did not even mind the warm water to drink .

What I did mind was the Ants they were everywhere on the sink, on the kitchen benches, climbing up the walls, in the kitchen drawers in and around the bath, in the clothes basket and when I was cleaning the fridge out imagine my shock to find there were hundreds in the seals around the door, it was a mass of black it took us over a hour to get rid of them.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MA, you're very stoic (compared to me) about doing without internet, radio and phone. I can cope with the one burner gas bottle, that's like camping, right?

Are ants usually a problem,or had they been driven into those places by the weather? cheers Deb

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally we get them Deb where the back decking is connected to the house, though never like this before there were thousands of them.
    With all the garden under water the past few days I guess they had to go somewhere and the best way was up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had atleast 600mm fall further up in the valley and flood levels in Laidley were higher than 2011. Lots of clean up going - its great to see everyone helping each other out and also all of the non local volunteers who have come in to help clean up.
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why you should not drive through floodwaters - if kaiser's shots of 'what lies beneath' weren't enough for you.

car-in-ditch-tumb-rdIMG_3007.jpg

The insurance assessor was there when I was taking this - the people got out all right. They were not only driving through water over the road, they were doing it at the height of the heavy rain and visibility would have been zero. No deadline is worth it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast