User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  25
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I was asked to stop taking photos..

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Commercial entities or productions created with a commercial intent require a permit. Photography taken for private and/or domestic purposes don't. I have defeated Waverley Council and Bondi police on a number of occasions where some Rangers thought I couldn't be using my camera as I didnt hold a permit. I had this confrontation for the 3rd time during the Boost Surfsho(sic) in 2010 on Bondi.
    Glad to hear that the restriction isn't applicable to all photography.

If someone spotted you with an iPhone or a P&S, you'd probably go unnoticed; but rock up with a tripd and a DSLR, and you'll immediately fall under suspicion.

Imagine for a moment how many beachgoers, tourists etc take photos on the sand of Bondi on any given day. Impossible to enforce for non-commercial activities as they would be discriminating with every infringement.
    Of course. Even if the council did forbid photography, good luck enforcing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not always "photographer be damned" though,

recently the local basketball stadium has put up a sign saying that photography IS allowed and as a condition of entry you or the players might be photographed.

This makes me smile
    Hi I'm Mark - See me on Flikr or Google+
    Feel free to make comments or give me advice.. also to add me to your social network
    Using Canon 650D and Lenses: Canon EF 85mm 1.8, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify the position of Waverley Council, the body responsible for Bondi Beach hasn't changed since my last discussion with them, I sent off an email, text quoted below.

"Hello,

I am a recreational photographer who is looking to take some images at Bondi Beach. I have heard from a number of people that Waverley Council require people to hold a permit for photography in the beach precinct.

I am not taking images in a commercial capacity, merely for my own albums and wanted to clarify the requirement for a permit for non-commercial photography.

Can you please confirm what the requirements are, as it would seem very strange for people taking personal photos to be required to hold a permit as on any given day on Bondi Beach, there would literally be thousands of people, tourists etc with iPhones etc taking photos.

Thank you,

Wayne xxxxxxxxx"

Reply from Waverley Council today;

"JodieW@waverley.nsw.gov.au
    2:56 PM (5 hours ago)

Hi Wayne,

A permit is not needed for non commercial use.

Regards,

Jodie Walker
    Project Officer, Place Management (commercial centres)
    Tel: 8362 3406
    Fax: 8362 3430
    Email: projectofficerbb@waverley.nsw.gov.au

So snap away for personal reasons until your heart is content.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,

Thanks for seeking clarification on that issue.

I'd print that email and carry it with you, as there's bound to be some rent-a-cop who'll see your 'professional-looking' camera and challenge you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Wayne,

Thanks for seeking clarification on that issue.

I'd print that email and carry it with you, as there's bound to be some rent-a-cop who'll see your 'professional-looking' camera and challenge you.
    I agree there are plenty of rent-a-cops who see a big lens or big camera and without a second thought think commercial user, which is silly of them. I'm pretty well known to Council, along with my barrister. We have had the discussion and been down that road with them a couple of times.

Happy to forward it to you John if you would like to keep a copy?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree there are plenty of rent-a-cops who see a big lens or big camera and without a second thought think commercial user, which is silly of them. I'm pretty well known to Council, along with my barrister.
    Heh; should the council be concerned? :-)

Happy to forward it to you John if you would like to keep a copy?
    Very much so -- thanks! I've PMd you my details.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234