Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  33

View Poll Results: What do you think of the 'Keyword' system

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • just have the site advertisers and nothing else

13 41.94%
  • I like it how it is

12 38.71%
  • Gravy - I don't really care either way.

4 12.90%
  • Reduce the number of photography terms

2 6.45%
  • Add more keywords (please suggest words)

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the new 'keyword' system

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your thoughts on the new 'keyword' system

As per this THREAD we introduced a new site feature that allowed auto-linking to particular words posted into threads.

The original idea I came up with was for an easy way for members to get to site advertisers websites. Where if someone had typed about a purchase from cameracheckpoint others could click the word in the thread to go straight to the advertisers website.

we then came up with the idea to add a range of photographic related terms to the keywords.

Now that this has had a few days to run, I would like your views. I think keeping the site advertisers is worthwhile as you don't often see the same word repeated several times in a post, but I would like your thoughts on the other words we have added. Is it to much? Good, not enough?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for "I like it how it is."
    OK, not my favourite the two greens, but I can live with the two colours.
    If they're the two that "work" for all skin systems, then OK.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can easily adjust the tone of the green link if that is you issue, let us know
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for I like it how it is. Some of the other key words for example: composition can be a good reminder to the beginners and the other forum member alike
    it never hurts to recap from time to time.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the long list of photography related keywords be restricted to particular forums like New to Photography, New to Photography CC (Beginners), and maybe Introductions?
    I think those new to photography and AP are the ones that would benefit the most from these keywords, and once you've been here for a while, you should be able to figure out where to go and find what you want (or be active enough to just ask).
    ISO leads to noise reduction.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like it. It's like random words jumping out and GRABBING my attention, which is bloody distracting when you're trying to read.

On the other hand I don't like anything new. Well known for it. Feel free to ignore my grumbling.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like change either though I like this feature.
    I click on the green to see what's there after I have replied to a post, as I forget things at times.
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I don't like it. It's like random words jumping out and GRABBING my attention, which is bloody distracting when you're trying to read.
    I hear you there. It is quite distracting to me, too.

The first time I saw it (before I was aware that it was a new feature), I wasn't sure why the person whose post I ws reading went to the trouble of colour-coding and/or linking specific words in his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Can the long list of photography related keywords be restricted to particular forums like New to Photography, New to Photography CC (Beginners), and maybe Introductions?
    Good idea. I'm not sure it's necessary in every forum.

One other suggestion: Perhaps contain the keywords to members whose profile lists their photographic experience level as 'Beginner'.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the votes and feedback so far. We will keep this poll running for a few more days to get a decent picture of what everyone thinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, especially useful for newbies, and I dont find the green distracting at all.
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have voted to remove keywords entirely, if there was the option, but there wasn't.

Keywording ONLY the site advertisers might be acceptable (if the keywords only appear once in a blue moon) but not when it looks like a hyperlink from the writer of the post itself. It's misleading and distracting when the keywords look like any other hyperlink which might actually be of interest as opposed to a keyword to a site advertiser which is likely of no interest at all.

As it is very distracting I find myself not wanting to read or follow threads at all. I tink this is a big step backwards and is distinctly unpleasant, IMHO. Thankfully most forums do NOT have such keywords and now I can see why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided that I don't like it at all. It intrudes on my reading of the comments, quite distracting. If there had been an option to remove it I would have voted to remove it.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it can be distracting, but I think much of the distractive effect comes from the colours used. Now nobody will agree on a set of colours - I'd like to keep the present green for the embedded links - and I did suggest a not-too-bright (OK, dumb) yellow for these new keywords. But that was not good for somebody... And so the mods changed it to... and that was...

and so on...

Am (and so 4th...)

Fuji Fanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Composure has nothing to do with composition. Can you remove this so composure is not a keyword linked to composition? One does not say 'the composure of my photo', one says 'the composition of my photo'.

Sorry to be a pedant but it is driving me batty!

From the Chambers 21st C dictionary.

composure; noun: mental and emotional calmness; self-control.
    ETYMOLOGY: 17c: from compose.

composition; noun: 1 something composed, especially a musical or literary work. 2 the process of composing. 3 art arrangement, especially with regard to balance and visual effect • photographic composition. 4 old use a school essay. 5 the constitution of something. 6 a synthetic material of any of various kinds. 7 printing the arrangement of pages of type ready for printing.
    Last edited by Analog6; 25-01-2013 at 10:14am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed Odille, and done. Composure removed

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible for the keyword system to be a user-configurable option?

The more I see it, the more I dislike it.

Some people like it; some don't. Many of us don't need it, and for those who don't understand what ISO is, it's easy enough to Google it.

I cannot understand why the word 'dictionary' is a keyword.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Is it possible for the keyword system to be a user-configurable option?

The more I see it, the more I dislike it.

Some people like it; some don't. Many of us don't need it, and for those who don't understand what ISO is, it's easy enough to Google it.

I cannot understand why the word 'dictionary' is a keyword.
    This is why we are seeking feedback. Once this poll and discussion has had a few days to run, I will adjust the list as members like. I agree about dictionary...I will remove it shortly.

Sir Rattus79 - The Proclaimant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree, There are some very common terms that are repeated adnausem here like lens, ISO, etc. Words that can be used several times in a single post. It's quite distracting when trying to read the posts, so I'm voting to have it reduced to the site sponsors only.

BUT if it was linked to the skill level so only beginners get it, then it may be useful.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure about linking the words to be different per experience level. We would need to investigate that one.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to keep in mind is that the Web works via hyperlinked words and images, and there's a certain psychological effect as a result.

I've been using the Web since 1995 or so, and I'm very accustomed, almost automatically, to identify a hyperlinked word as something that calls for attention, to whisk me off somewhere else.

Psychologically, seeing hyperlinks is a distraction, for as a user of the Web, they prompt a specific response, even if the user doesn't follow the course of action they solicit.

Perhaps a less intrusive method would be to have cursor rollover-based links, whereby the keywords could still functionally work, but wouldn't visually scream for attention. If a user's cursor was positioned over the words, then the hyperlinking could be visible, and the user would know that clicking the word links to something else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast