User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Adapter: Canon lens to Nikon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adapter: Canon lens to Nikon?

Heya all I have a question to may or may not have been asked in past at some point..

Is there such a thing as a Canon lens to Nikon F mount electronic adapter? More so for being able to control Canon's electronic aperture..

Reason I'm asking is about the Canon MP-E 65 to which won't work properly without such an adapter?.

Also I'm not asking for another way to do this either ie: buying a canon camera, doing a reversal or using tubes ect.

I had a look online but failed to really find anything, thought perhaps one of the AP guys might know of such a tool..

Cheers
    Chris
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no, you can get manual adaptors (plastic rings that convert), but as far as I am aware not electronic ones that allow full cross brand control. Someone may prove me wrong.
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-02-2013 at 6:59pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flange distance of the Nikon mount is longer (46.5mm) than the Canon EF mount (44mm) so you can not achieve infinity focus even if there was an adapter. For this reason alone it would be very unusual to find any EF>Nikon adapters, regardless of the electronics issue. Adapters are available the other way around for the same reason, ie Canons flange distance gives you room to use an adapter and still use the relevant/adapted lens as intended with infinity focus.

I beleive there are EF adapters around for NEX (not sure, I've never used them) but you might be better off just buying a Canon body if you intend using the MP-E 65.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I won't buy a Canon camera just for macro. I was more interested in seeing how the lens would perform on a D800 giving that's it 36mp. So I was interesting to see how the images would look / turn out.

Had read about the flange distance though and thought perhaps it wouldn't really matter as you have to do everything manual anyway but that's when I found about the electronic aperture.

Cheers
    Chris

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    ...Had read about the flange distance though and thought perhaps it wouldn't really matter as you have to do everything manual anyway ...
    But the reason the flange distance is relevant is simply because it would only allow macro applications so would have a very limited market anyway. An example of such an unusual exception is the Canon FD to EF where the FD has a shorter flange distance than the EF so FD lenses can only be used for macro on an EF body (although there are FD>EF adapters with a lens inside them to make the correction, but they are generally not very good).

Maybe there is a Nikon to EF adapter, as you can lock the aperture into position on the EF lens with a 'trick', so maybe you shouldn't give up your search.