User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Which tripod head for sports photography?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which tripod head for sports photography?

Hi Guys

I have been lucky enough to pick up at a bargain price a Canon 300mm F2.8 IS II lens. I have looking for this focal length for a few years now, and one happen to become available at a price I could not pass up.

I plan to use it mostly to photograph rowing and soccer (and at times wildlife) but I am not sure of the head set up I should use. My current set up is a Manfrotto 055 Pro tripod and a sturdy but old manfrotto 134B monopod. The only ball head type of mount i own is a Mafrotto 222 joystick, which I used to use with a 100 - 400 lens i had a few years ago.

I have seen pics of the lens coupled directly to the monopod - is this the best set up or should i be looking at getting a heavy duty ball head (or will the joystick I have do the job). I don't want to break the bank on this - but the price of heads range so much from the Benro $30 job up to the $500+ recognized name brands. I don't care it is a name brand ball head, as long as it does the job. There seem to be plates and brackets to do everything - but to tell you the truth it is rather overwhelming.

I have been looking at a Markins Q3T - they seem a high quality head and priced somewhere in the middle. I would also think most of the shooting I need to do would be in the portrait mode, but I am sure I will want to swap fairly quickly.

The alternative to all the above is hand held - but I would think an hour or two of this might start to get quite tiring.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Brian500au; 23-01-2013 at 12:25am.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS