Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watermarking

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watermarking

Watermarking, that thing we do to put our name or details onto our photographs. Some of us put them in a corner, others put then across the centre of the photo, but then if you were really concerned about copyright and image use, you could put them all over your photos.

http://gingerstarfishphotography.wordpress.com/photos/

Just click a photo to see what I mean. Would this be something you would consider?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly made me
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spoiled the image for me, the photographer may have done great work, but it's lost under watermarks

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to protect images online (and even that is not perfect) is to heavily watermark the important parts of the image.
    A few years ago I posted some images of a celebrity on AP, we had a rush of people joining, I then edited the images with an ugly watermark.
    Normally I don't bother.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym.. my wife & I naturally have 2 seperate watermarks.. a joint one for when we both shoot the same thing & of course the AP watermark.

Whats your thoughts on an image or just go with plain text? We are using plain text at the moment as neither of us a good enough to make something in Photoshop to use.
    Then of course there is the decision.. does the joint one go across middle of the image when uploaded to the site (so it cant be reused) or not?
    Our own personal ones naturally go where we know they wont attract someone from viewing the image
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm....i can understand why it is done but definitely spoiled the images
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much watermarking! I can't 'see' the image because the watermark is so distracting / disruptive, so what's the point of uploading them if you can't view enough of it to get a feel for it?
    I get the concerns about theft, I really do, but this is a step too far IMO and would make me choose a different photog (if I was in the market) because I can't get a feel for the photogs work.
    Nikon D70s / Nikkor 18-70mm / Nikkor 12-24mm / Tamron 90mm macro / SB600

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures REALLY SPOIL the watermarks!!!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can appreciate the fact that photographers use large/noticeable watermarking to ensure the safety of their image(s). However, too much watermarking definitely ruins photos, to the point where some viewers would either skim through them or skip them altogether.

It's sad that we must always worry about images being stolen and/or used dishonestly, ruins it for everyone I guess...
    Cheers, Sam

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to ask about watermaking my images.
    First let me say I don't think I am in the class where my photos are of a class to be stolen.
    I think it is sort of like me letting everyone know that I took this shot.
    make it easier to understand sort of like a male dog marking is territory by cocking his leg.
    I have been working on about 15 designs since I got corel pro5x.
    But I still had to work out heaps on my own to get one working.
    So I am still a little unsure if I should go with one or not.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    I was going to ask about watermaking my images.
    First let me say I don't think I am in the class where my photos are of a class to be stolen.
    I think it is sort of like me letting everyone know that I took this shot.
    make it easier to understand sort of like a male dog marking is territory by cocking his leg.
    I have been working on about 15 designs since I got corel pro5x.
    But I still had to work out heaps on my own to get one working.
    So I am still a little unsure if I should go with one or not.
    I would say, yes, go with one. Just put one in the corner of your photos. Whilst as you say your photos are not in a class to be stolen, you might be amazed how a photo you do not say is 'in the class' is found by someone who loves it and wants a copy. I sold a beach photo to a lady simply because her husband proposed to her on that beach. I even offered to go out and shoot it again during a nice sunset, but she wanted the photo I had, cause it reminded her of what the beach looked like on the day she was proposed to. So just cause you may think your photos are not in the class, watermark them, cause then someone who wants one, is more likely to be able to find you on the net. Watermarking for me is more about marketing, than protection.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the images on that site weren't so large there would be no need to watermark them so heavily completely destroying the photos IMO.
    this looks like the work of a very paranoid person.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watermarking isn't just about stopping theft.

It's also about brand recognition. Most people here could spot one of Dylans photos by the watermark alone. (if not by the processiing/style)

Personally, I do have a watermark, I'm just too lazy to include it in most of my shots. I really need to spend time to streamline my workflow.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have said I have been playing about with a couple of watermarks.
    And some are just was too childish to use as a serious one but it got me into looking on how or what I really wanted one to look.
    So played a little more and came up with a few that I liked and look like they could be serious watermarks.
    But I have worked them out on Corel, and now I have got paintshop cs6 and I have to work out if I can transfer these over to that.
    I am hoping there is a way to do it as i am no techno in any way. But I have friends who are and I will get them on to it.
    But thanks for the replies to this subject, I will post a shot once it is all worked out and let you know where to look for it.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    As I have said I have been playing about with a couple of watermarks.
    And some are just was too childish to use as a serious one but it got me into looking on how or what I really wanted one to look.
    So played a little more and came up with a few that I liked and look like they could be serious watermarks.
    But I have worked them out on Corel, and now I have got paintshop cs6 and I have to work out if I can transfer these over to that.
    I am hoping there is a way to do it as i am no techno in any way. But I have friends who are and I will get them on to it.
    But thanks for the replies to this subject, I will post a shot once it is all worked out and let you know where to look for it.
    How to watermark for Photoshop : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...rush-method%29

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that the amount of watermarking is in inverse proportion to the quality of the photos! <insert catty smiley here!>

Seriously though, the watermarking is way over the top and really detracts from the viewing experience. And let's face it, she's not a world class photographer! <Oops! Meowwwww!>
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're quite right Cheryl, the watermarks are better than the photos.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blugh... omg... my eyes are burning man o man.... that's just terrible!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, that's really..... awful.

I have not bothered even thinking about watermarking anything of mine yet... but I am sure that she has shown me how not to do it
    Hi I'm Mark - See me on Flikr or Google+
    Feel free to make comments or give me advice.. also to add me to your social network
    Using Canon 650D and Lenses: Canon EF 85mm 1.8, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watermarking

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I would say, yes, go with one. Just put one in the corner of your photos. Whilst as you say your photos are not in a class to be stolen, you might be amazed how a photo you do not say is 'in the class' is found by someone who loves it and wants a copy. I sold a beach photo to a lady simply because her husband proposed to her on that beach. I even offered to go out and shoot it again during a nice sunset, but she wanted the photo I had, cause it reminded her of what the beach looked like on the day she was proposed to. So just cause you may think your photos are not in the class, watermark them, cause then someone who wants one, is more likely to be able to find you on the net. Watermarking for me is more about marketing, than protection.
    This x10000. I do photos for the local footy club... I don't consider them great, however someone somewhere will like it... (Generally the subject/family). If watermarked, they know exactly who to contact, to get a copy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast